Coupon Status: CONTROL

Old Aug 27, 12, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Coupon Status: CONTROL

I'm holding an Asia Miles redemption ticket issued by CX (ticket number starting with 160), for KA flights (3 digit KA flight numbers, not codeshare). There are no CX flights on the booking.

When I download the eticket from cathaypacific.com for both the outbound and return sector it says the coupon status is "CONTROL". I've seen this when I have BA or AA flights on the itinerary but this is the first time I've seen a KA flight listed like that, whereas usually it says OPEN (or similar).

Is this normal?
Old Aug 27, 12, 5:11 am

Yes. KA and CX are legally different airlines, so control of e-ticket status between the two is same as if CX and BA. What if you download the ticket from KA.com?
Old Aug 27, 12, 8:47 am
Original Poster

No difference if downloaded from dragonair.com

I suppose it must be because it's for KA flights but issued on CX 160 ticket stock.
Old Aug 27, 12, 9:24 am

Programs: CX DM
I've seen the word CONTROL on my tickets twice in the last year (both were on redemption tickets involving CX + other OW airlines).

I called CX, AA, BA to make sure everything was okay. I wasn't told what the word CONTROL meant, but was reassured that my bookings were all okay.

The flights were also okay in the end. No hiccups. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 27, 12, 9:56 am

AFAIK, the word CONTROL means nothing..
I have tried HKG/KUL on CX, KUL/SIN on MH, SIN/HKG on CX. The ticket for KUL/SIN is written as control, yet my ticket is still okay to use
Old Aug 27, 12, 1:42 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
I'm holding an Asia Miles redemption ticket issued by CX (ticket number starting with 160), for KA flights (3 digit KA flight numbers, not codeshare). There are no CX flights on the booking.

When I download the eticket from cathaypacific.com for both the outbound and return sector it says the coupon status is "CONTROL". I've seen this when I have BA or AA flights on the itinerary but this is the first time I've seen a KA flight listed like that, whereas usually it says OPEN (or similar).

Is this normal?
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist View Post
I wasn't told what the word CONTROL meant, but was reassured that my bookings were all okay.

It is a new issue brought by the migration to Amadeus. While in CUPID CX and KA are treated as the same (host) airline, Amadeus treat them as 2. After an airline issues a E-TKT, the airline will transfer the authority to lift the coupons on other airlines' segments to the operating airlines (think of how coupons are teared off in paper TKTs), thus the word "CONTROL."
Old Aug 27, 12, 1:43 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
I suppose it must be because it's for KA flights but issued on CX 160 ticket stock.
Yes!
Old Aug 27, 12, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
I had CONTROL when I issued a mixed-airline ticket. HKG-HND on CX and HND-HKD (Hakodate) on a JL flight. So yes it could be other career on CX 160 stock.

My other thoughts are if your itinery is out of normal. In my case, award tickets are allowed 2 stop-overs but I wanted to stay in Tokyo both enroute to Hokkaido and on the way back. So I issued an award such that Tokyo-Hakodate segment return flights occur within 24hours such that my stay in Hakodate isn't considered a "stop-over". This way I managed to have 1 week in Tokyo, go to Hakodate for 24hour trip, back to Tokyo stay for another week.

Let me gurantee you those Manila MPC staff won't know this is allowed within award rules.
Old Aug 27, 12, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
My other thoughts are if your itinery is out of normal.

Let me gurantee you those Manila MPC staff won't know this is allowed within award rules.
My itinerary is nothing out of the ordinary. Point to point, no stopovers, no open jaw, just a normal return ticket, with well over 24 hours between the flights.

FWIW, the eticket says that it's issued in Manila.

I guess this is just the new normal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: