FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Checking a bag between legs on a multi-leg flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1374924-checking-bag-between-legs-multi-leg-flight.html)

medic51vrf Aug 8, 2012 5:12 am

Checking a bag between legs on a multi-leg flight?

Later this month I'll be flying MEL-FRA via HKG (of course with CX) and would like to check a bag straight through to FRA but would also like to do some shopping in HKG during my layover. Is it possible to check a second bag HKG-FRA or is this prohibited due to the fact that I'm already checked in?

kamiao Aug 8, 2012 5:52 am

Originally Posted by medic51vrf (Post 19080605)
Later this month I'll be flying MEL-FRA via HKG (of course with CX) and would like to check a bag straight through to FRA but would also like to do some shopping in HKG during my layover. Is it possible to check a second bag HKG-FRA or is this prohibited due to the fact that I'm already checked in?

Yes you certainly can. I have done this many times.

phlashba Aug 8, 2012 5:59 am

LOL. From the title, I thought you wanted to hold the bag between your legs! :D

medic51vrf Aug 8, 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by kamiao (Post 19080748)

Thanks kamiao.

medic51vrf Aug 8, 2012 6:03 am

Originally Posted by phlashba (Post 19080773)
LOL. From the title, I thought you wanted to hold the bag between your legs! :D

LOL. :D

kamiao Aug 8, 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by medic51vrf (Post 19080778)

Originally Posted by kamiao (Post 19080748)

Thanks kamiao.

You are welcome. Do check your luggage allowance though. You can do this only if you still have some luggage allowances left - otherwise you may expect to pay.

CX is generous given you are a QF WP but just in case... :-)

torrento Aug 8, 2012 11:29 am

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought this is somewhat relevant. Is it possible to do the following with two bags (within allowance for NorthAm flights):
Bag #1: Original Destination --> Final Destination (through checked in)
Bag #2: Original Destination --> Transit Point (HKG) Baggage Claim --> Shopping & Re-Packing --> Transit Point (HKG) Re-Check-in --> Final Destination

kamiao Aug 8, 2012 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by torrento (Post 19082897)
Sorry to hijack the threat but thought this is somewhat relevant. Is it possible to do the following with two bags (within allowance for NorthAm flights):
Bag #1: Original Destination --> Final Destination (through checked in)
Bag #2: Original Destination --> Transit Point (HKG) Baggage Claim --> Shopping & Re-Packing --> Transit Point (HKG) Re-Check-in --> Final Destination

I don't think this would present a problem. Your tickets to US should give you two bags of allowances for all legs. (But it's been a fact that I have never done this for my SYD-HKG-USA connections, only on other connections).