Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Cathay do sales??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Do Cathay do sales??

Simple question, but one i cannot find the answer for. Beyond the 'offers' page on the CX website, which doesnt ever seem to have much on there, do Cathay ever do sale periods across destinations/fare buckets in the way that BA and others do?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not that I know of.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
As majority of CX fares are bookable through their website or travel agents, they are in fact already offering 'sales' as their published rates from anywhere other than US/Canada are so much more higher.

BA's fares are all published fares hence the use the term 'sales' to entice sales.

But CX is known to be much lower than others when its not ex-HKG. So yes, CX has sales ... almost all the time. They just call them 'promo fares'.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
As majority of CX fares are bookable through their website or travel agents, they are in fact already offering 'sales' as their published rates from anywhere other than US/Canada are so much more higher.

BA's fares are all published fares hence the use the term 'sales' to entice sales.

But CX is known to be much lower than others when its not ex-HKG. So yes, CX has sales ... almost all the time. They just call them 'promo fares'.
Sorry, but i dont see this at all??? Thats a genuine query - so far all my CX travel has been on business where cost doesnt matter so i dont know how to get these promo fares.

If i am for example, trying to get to Sydney in J, whether i search for HKG-SYD direct or i originate in Taiwan or somewhere nearby, CX is always considerably more expensive than anyone else?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by phol
Sorry, but i dont see this at all??? Thats a genuine query - so far all my CX travel has been on business where cost doesnt matter so i dont know how to get these promo fares.

If i am for example, trying to get to Sydney in J, whether i search for HKG-SYD direct or i originate in Taiwan or somewhere nearby, CX is always considerably more expensive than anyone else?
Ex-TPE nett fare on I to SYD is 55000TWD. If you are travelling entirely on CX / KA, the fare you see on the website is the fare (whether you consider that a "sale" or not). If you wants to connect to other airlines, there might be some fares that cannot be booked on the website.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
CX's fare is not really MRable...IMHO...
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by phol
Simple question, but one i cannot find the answer for. Beyond the 'offers' page on the CX website, which doesnt ever seem to have much on there, do Cathay ever do sale periods across destinations/fare buckets in the way that BA and others do?
I noticed fares (base fare +surcharges) from North America to Asia has sky rocketed this year. But based on past promo emails if any indication from CX, the promo fares termed as "Economy Save" is the lowest among all the Y clases, emails usually mailed out in February and early 1st week of October. At the moment for Fall travels, the website fares offered are priced around in the "Economy Standard" range.

Low to high something like this: Economy Save- Economy Special- Economy Core- Economy Standard- Economy Flex- Premium Economy Standard- Premium Economy Flex. Some local variations in flavours.

Last edited by travelbug38; Jul 28, 2012 at 2:28 pm Reason: More details
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:12 pm

Where do Economy Core fits in this situation?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by anchor79
Where do Economy Core fits in this situation?
Core is higher than "Special" but below "Standard". You can see the hierarchy of CX fare names here. Those are the US ones, there might be variations based on the country.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: QF WP
Occasionally, there's also the economy supersaver. However, there's no refund, and rebooking fees are truly scary. I don't really look very much into the category, but much more interested in the booking class. If you are travelling from anywhere apart from HKG in the off-peak season, and not getting anything in O, Q, or may be even S, then you could consider taking a gamble that a promotion will come out.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

I think ive found the basics now thank you. TPE to SYD brings up a business saver fare which is much more reasonably priced (although it doesnt appear to DXB??).

Do Cathay have any opinion on nesting fares to take advantage of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.