HKG short transit question

Old Jul 21, 12, 4:54 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: All over India
Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Posts: 814
HKG short transit question

I will be traveling from MAA in India to PEK via HKG in mid-September; this will be my first time ever in HKG. MAA-HKG is on CX but HKG-PEK is on KA (Dragonair) and I have only a 50 minute layover in HKG. Will this be sufficient? If not, I will need to change my flight schedules (sucks, cos the alternates will involve traveling either TG via BKK or my HKG-PEK leg will be on CA - neither of which appear attractive options to me). Appreciate advise/help. If it helps, am traveling business class.
aniruddh77 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 12, 6:09 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 761
50 minutes is totally enough

but you may not be satisfy cause you cannot enjoy one of the best airport in the world
and also you may not be able to try out the CX lounge which again, i think is very nice
B-HXG is offline  
Old Jul 21, 12, 6:32 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,799
In some cases, this is a legal connection (depending on the actual flight numbers). However, if there are no later flights that day, protection is useless if all you want to do is get there that day. If schedule is of high importance, than I would recommend changing your itinerary, despite 50min being a legal, protected, and often-attempted (and succeed) transfer.
Awesom Andy is offline  
Old Jul 21, 12, 6:33 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CEB & LAS
Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by B-HXG View Post
but you may not be satisfy cause you cannot enjoy one of the best airport in the world
It's pretty hard to experience the best airport in the world when you are stuck in Hong Kong. You'd have to route through ICN instead.
RevJim is offline  
Old Jul 21, 12, 4:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: none
Posts: 214
BKK is also a nice airport.
dbaseworking is offline  
Old Jul 21, 12, 9:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 464
I'm probably biased because I live in HKG, but having been to ICN also I don't see what the bip hoopla is? It's a much smaller airport and doesn't nearly have the capacity of HKG, and the fact that HKG can run just as smoothly as ICN should make the larger operation more impressive. (Although the Korean cultural experiences are neat).

Going back to the question, 50 minutes is enough as long as your plane isn't delayed. CX will have agents in the terminal at your arrival gate with signs for your flight number and name if you are cutting it close and they'll help escort you to the next flight or give you further details.

So no worries, enjoy.

Originally Posted by RevJim View Post
It's pretty hard to experience the best airport in the world when you are stuck in Hong Kong. You'd have to route through ICN instead.
Noodlesz is offline  
Old Jul 22, 12, 6:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CEB & LAS
Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by Noodlesz View Post
I'm probably biased because I live in HKG, but having been to ICN also I don't see what the bip hoopla is? It's a much smaller airport and doesn't nearly have the capacity of HKG, and the fact that HKG can run just as smoothly as ICN should make the larger operation more impressive. (Although the Korean cultural experiences are neat).
I'm not saying HKG is a bad airport; it's a great airport and I love flying through there. But to call it the "best" is subjective and I was merely pointing out the surveys favor ICN this year.

I think the #1 thing missing from HKG is an airside transit hotel. I know they have a hotel outside of immigration but nothing beats the convenience of waking up and going directly to your gate without the hassle of luggage, security and check ins. As an HKG resident you wouldn't need this feature but it sure comes in handy for long connections.
RevJim is offline  
Old Jul 22, 12, 8:03 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: All over India
Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by B-HXG View Post
50 minutes is totally enough
^

Originally Posted by Noodlesz View Post
Going back to the question, 50 minutes is enough as long as your plane isn't delayed. CX will have agents in the terminal at your arrival gate with signs for your flight number and name if you are cutting it close and they'll help escort you to the next flight or give you further details.
^

Thanks ppl ! Very useful, and I get the feeling that unlike a lot of other airports, 50 mins is probably sufficient in HKG. Will leave you to finish off the ICN v/s HKG championship ! Thanks again !!!
aniruddh77 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: