Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Any way to get better Y seats than what show on Cathay Pacific web site?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

Hi guys -- booked a relatively last minute trip (mid-August -- barely 28 days out on the outbound, a week later return.) This is (if relevant) booked through AA as a codeshare operated by CX.

Automated system booked me into 66K on the outbound (883 from LAX) and no seat assignment on 872 (into SFO) coming back. I called AA to see if they can do anything and get the CX record locator if not. AAgent could not see any better seats on 883, and couldn't see the seat map at all on the return, so I got my CX locator.

Cathay's web site showed no other windows going out but a fairly good aisle (33C) so took that. Coming back, middles only and not many of them at all.

So, my question is: is there any way to improve on these? Is there any point in calling? If not, will there be a time like T-72 or T-24 when they unblock some more coach seats for online changes, or do I need to wait for check-in in person? If so, is it worth going by the CX desk at SFO prior to my AA flight down to LAX?

For the return flight on 872, is it better to take a middle so I don't end up too far back, or leave it unassigned in the hope that it will slot me into an aisle automatically when some seats unblock?

It looks from the web site like OW Sapphire now may qualify for the extra legroom seats without charge - is that correct, and if so, is there any way I can get one?

Getting something non-middle on the return is my main priority, although I would sleep better in a window not at the back than an aisle further forward if I can find something.

Thanks -- too many questions, don't need specific answers... just really asking for general advice on how to proceed.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:22 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Try calling CX to see if extra-legroom seats are still available.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
Try calling CX to see if extra-legroom seats are still available.
Thanks, will do
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by nkedel
Hi guys -- booked a relatively last minute trip (mid-August -- barely 28 days out on the outbound, a week later return.) This is (if relevant) booked through AA as a codeshare operated by CX.

Automated system booked me into 66K on the outbound (883 from LAX) and no seat assignment on 872 (into SFO) coming back. I called AA to see if they can do anything and get the CX record locator if not. AAgent could not see any better seats on 883, and couldn't see the seat map at all on the return, so I got my CX locator.

Cathay's web site showed no other windows going out but a fairly good aisle (33C) so took that. Coming back, middles only and not many of them at all.

So, my question is: is there any way to improve on these? Is there any point in calling? If not, will there be a time like T-72 or T-24 when they unblock some more coach seats for online changes, or do I need to wait for check-in in person? If so, is it worth going by the CX desk at SFO prior to my AA flight down to LAX?

For the return flight on 872, is it better to take a middle so I don't end up too far back, or leave it unassigned in the hope that it will slot me into an aisle automatically when some seats unblock?

It looks from the web site like OW Sapphire now may qualify for the extra legroom seats without charge - is that correct, and if so, is there any way I can get one?

Getting something non-middle on the return is my main priority, although I would sleep better in a window not at the back than an aisle further forward if I can find something.

Thanks -- too many questions, don't need specific answers... just really asking for general advice on how to proceed.
After the system migration CX no longer allow elites to select many (if not all) of the blocked seats on MMB, but since you are AA PLT a call to CX would give you a better seat.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

54K on both TPAC (warned about the intruding slide; I assume it's going to be worse than 31AJ on American, but it can't be worse than 66K or a middle seat) and 44K on the two regional legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.