Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX888 YVR-JFK Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
In J, probably. (Although I guess you could use the regular lounge in the satellite concourse.).

In F, I think you should get access to the new International First Class Lounge.
J pax now have access to the "new" AA Flagship Lounge at JFK (old IFCL). F pax have access to the exclusive Flagship Dining facility inside the Flagship Lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Does anyone have any recent experience as to whether pax on CX888 HKG-YVR-JFK can pretend to follow those pax arriving for YVR to enter Canada, then go through security again, in order to use the YVR lounge? I took CX888 several times but never tried, but reckon some people talked about it here many years ago (could not find anything now). I am taking CX888 again next week, and this time, I kind of want to try it if possible.

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Does anyone have any recent experience as to whether pax on CX888 HKG-YVR-JFK can pretend to follow those pax arriving for YVR to enter Canada, then go through security again, in order to use the YVR lounge? I took CX888 several times but never tried, but reckon some people talked about it here many years ago (could not find anything now). I am taking CX888 again next week, and this time, I kind of want to try it if possible.

Thanks!
YVR is not considered the departing airport in this case (one flight number, same day). So it is totally up to CX to decide on your admission.

There is hardly 1.5 hours from landing to departure. Does it worth the risk?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
YVR is not considered the departing airport in this case (one flight number, same day). So it is totally up to CX to decide on your admission.

There is hardly 1.5 hours from landing to departure. Does it worth the risk?
My previous (limited) experience at YVR has always been that both security and immigration are very quick, and obviously no bag to pick up this time. My ideal plan was if the flight arrives a bit early, say 30 minutes, then I will have 2 hours, and I might give it a try. Of course, if the flight arrives late, I wouldn't bother. The gate area they hold you in is extremely boring, and I think an exercise + some good food treat afterwards would be a "healthy" thing to do. Just wondering if anyone else tried it recently. I do remember about several years ago a few people mentioned doing this successfully right here, but I can't find any information now.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:33 am

My previous (limited) experience at YVR has always been that both security and immigration are very quick, and obviously no bag to pick up this time. My ideal plan was if the flight arrives a bit early, say 30 minutes, then I will have 2 hours, and I might give it a try. Of course, if the flight arrives late, I wouldn't bother. The gate area they hold you in is extremely boring, and I think an exercise + some good food treat afterwards would be a "healthy" thing to do. Just wondering if anyone else tried it recently. I do remember about several years ago a few people mentioned doing this successfully right here, but I can't find any information now.
In theory you could follow the line for international connections and not go through customs and immigration. The holding area opens up for the YVR-JFK folks so they wouldn't know any better whether you were on the plane before or you are a new passenger. The airport people might get confused and try to direct you to the US connections since your ticket says JFK but that's the only thing I could see happening.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by LoveHateRelationship
In theory you could follow the line for international connections and not go through customs and immigration. The holding area opens up for the YVR-JFK folks so they wouldn't know any better whether you were on the plane before or you are a new passenger. The airport people might get confused and try to direct you to the US connections since your ticket says JFK but that's the only thing I could see happening.
The international connections checkpoint is closed at that time of the day, and so is US pre-clearance.

In other words, if you join the YVR arrivals line, you'll have to go through CBSA. Even if you manage to get through immigration without raising a red flag, I'm not sure how the OP will re-enter airside with a HKG-JFK boarding pass.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:06 am

Or a much easier solution would be take the earlier 838 flight then wait it out and connect to 888.

I've done it before, went into town, walked around a mall and picked up some items at a bakery then went back to the airport and waited there.

I know, it's boring.

At least I got extra miles for about the same price.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris
The international connections checkpoint is closed at that time of the day, and so is US pre-clearance.

In other words, if you join the YVR arrivals line, you'll have to go through CBSA. Even if you manage to get through immigration without raising a red flag, I'm not sure how the OP will re-enter airside with a HKG-JFK boarding pass.
CX888 doesn't go through US pre-clearance so it's just another international departure. I believe passengers also get a YVR-JFK boarding pass as everyone needs to get off at YVR into the holding area anyways and get rescanned to get back on. As for immigration... well that all depends on if the person's citizenship. Probably not a problem if they're Canadian, even better if they hold Nexus. If they need an eTA then that will be a problem.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
CX888 doesn't go through US pre-clearance so it's just another international departure.
I never said CX888 goes through pre-clearance. My point is you can't join the YVR arrivals channel after disembarking, go to through international connections route (which would be closed), just to avoid being held up in the holding area.

I believe passengers also get a YVR-JFK boarding pass as everyone needs to get off at YVR into the holding area anyways and get rescanned to get back on.
Not in my experience. Passengers going all the way get a HKG-JFK boarding pass with no mention of YVR. Yes, they get re-scanned before boarding but by CX staff who obviously expect this. I can't say the same for YVR/CATSA staff outside.

As for immigration... well that all depends on if the person's citizenship. Probably not a problem if they're Canadian, even better if they hold Nexus. If they need an eTA then that will be a problem.
Being Canadian doesn't mean you're exempt from being held back for further inspection.

If you're 100% sure you can breeze through customs and immigration with no delays then by all means, give it a try. But as pointed out earlier, the transit time isn't that long, so your margin for error isn't exactly generous.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris

CX888 doesn't go through US pre-clearance so it's just another international departure. I believe passengers also get a YVR-JFK boarding pass as everyone needs to get off at YVR into the holding area anyways and get rescanned to get back on. As for immigration... well that all depends on if the person's citizenship. Probably not a problem if they're Canadian, even better if they hold Nexus. If they need an eTA then that will be a problem.
Thanks LoveHateRelationship and SilverChris! I'm actually thinking of requesting different seats for HKG-YVR and YVR-JFK because as of now no good seat is available on HKG-YVR. I know this is doable and have done it before. If CX grants my request, I will have 2 separate boarding pass (but, true, normally only one is given).

Unfortunately, I need eTA. I guess I will decide upon arriving YVR and see if CX888 arrives early, and if early, by how much. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by maortega15
Or a much easier solution would be take the earlier 838 flight then wait it out and connect to 888.

I've done it before, went into town, walked around a mall and picked up some items at a bakery then went back to the airport and waited there.

I know, it's boring.

At least I got extra miles for about the same price.
Unfortunately, ex-Taiwan, there is a substantial price difference...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:47 pm

Unfortunately, I need eTA. I guess I will decide upon arriving YVR and see if CX888 arrives early, and if early, by how much. Thanks again!
I think you need to get an eTA ahead of time. Assuming you don't need a visa, doesn't hurt to apply for your eTA.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:52 pm

I think you need to get an eTA ahead of time. Assuming you don't need a visa, doesn't hurt to apply for your eTA.
I do have one. Thanks for reminder, though!

Last year I had a SEA-YVR-NRT trip on separate tickets. I only applied for the eTA ~6 hours prior to my SEA departure, and unfortunately it was only granted a day after. Had to forfeit the SEA-YVR ticket and rent a car to drive from SEA to YVR. Quite an experience...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
I do have one. Thanks for reminder, though!

Last year I had a SEA-YVR-NRT trip on separate tickets. I only applied for the eTA ~6 hours prior to my SEA departure, and unfortunately it was only granted a day after. Had to forfeit the SEA-YVR ticket and rent a car to drive from SEA to YVR. Quite an experience...
Well, just note that this is after all US-bound flights have tighten security measures, such as short interviews and questions. Not sure if everyone will be interviewed just at YVR, or just at HKG, or both, but keep in mind these take time as well.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Well, just note that this is after all US-bound flights have tighten security measures, such as short interviews and questions. Not sure if everyone will be interviewed just at YVR, or just at HKG, or both, but keep in mind these take time as well.
Great point, thank you!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:59 am

I ended up not doing it because of 2 reasons:
1) Although I got separate seats at the gate at HKG for HKG-YVR and YVR-JFK sectors, the YVR-JFK sector only has the stub left and was stapled on my HKG-YVR boarding pass. The gate agent specifically said he had to do this. Without a complete YVR-JFK boarding pass, I believe I will at least need CX assistance at YVR for clearing security after arrival.
2) The flight arrived YVR a bit late, too.

On another note, there's no interview, etc. at YVR. Just the standard secondary security check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.