Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy seating advice needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

hi everyone, this is my first posting, having been reading the forum for a while.

in January 2013 i will be flying to HKG from LHR in Premium Economy.
previously i flew economy as always found the shell seats perfect, even though tall, at least no one encroach into my space by reclining. i found 68K on a 747-400 a good choice always, as extra legroom by side of seat in front, and quiet too, and good view from window
i got one op-up to business class as well, which was nice.

anyways, i booked 31A as when choosing the seat, the diagram on the Cathay Pacific page for a 777 showed them in advance of the wing, even when checking MMB page after booking. even doing a dummy seat change to see seats free after booking.

having checked further, from photos, looks like the seat is over the wing in reference to door position. also no window in fuselage, only the door window.

looks like it is going to be 777-300-ER4 i will be flying on.
every flight seems to have 32H/K blocked from booking, so could not choose them, even checking a 2 week spread.

i am 6ft5in and wondering if i change to 34A, if the recline from 33A will be much into my 'own space'.
landing in HK is always fantastic and like to take photos and video out of the window when landing.
it just seems a bit strange having premium economy seats over a wing and a view blocked of landing, when you can get a view from economy.

thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by Cathay8; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:02 am
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
32H is bassinett seat while 32K can be reserved by any PAX.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the reply, i appreciate it.
32K would be better choice, as the view is important from the window.
hopefully i will find some photos showing how much can be seen over the wing when landing.

to be honest, if there is not a good view, i will try to cancel/change ticket and drop down to economy. the food and extra leg room on it's own is not enough for the extra 400GBP over economy. landing at HKIA is always fantastic, and missing that is not something i want to do.

i only ever fly Cathay Pacific on long haul from personal choice. this is first time i have ever found a problem. maybe it would be helpful if they update their 'seat options' when chosing to show where the wing of the aircraft is in relations to the seats, in real life.

regards
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: CX GO, Miles&Smiles Elite, Accor Plus Diamond
if it is a 77G, definitely 30D or G
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:00 am
Original Poster

thanks for the reply,
as i would like to have a window seat, 30D or G, would not be practical, as they are centre aisle seats.

if i can find out the angle of view to the ground from the premium economy seats 31 - 34, over the wing, but not looking good atm.

the view landing at Hong Kong is most important, followed by extra legroom. food is not important at all, over the economy class food choice.

for me the biggest thing, that the seat plan does not show the wings in the correct position, which i feel is very bad when choosing a seat is an important choice.
at time of booking this should relate to the 'real life' scenario.

if the view if not good from premium economy, i will try to cancel ticket and rebook economy at back of plane, where i usually sit.

i only booked premium as a special reason to be in Hong Kong, and wanted the time there to start with a good journey.

kind regards

btw, really liking this forum, finding it very friendly and helpful
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the help so far, if any of the other 400+ viewers of the thread has a photo from 32A/33A or 32K/33K would be great if i can get an idea of the view.
many thanks
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:21 am

Cathay Premium seats

Hi Cathay8
I'm on the same situation than you but I'm traveling in February.
If you go ahead with your booking, Can you please let us know how you got on and what are the best seats on the cabin.
Thanks
Jorgenlu
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Bulkhead in PE reserved for DMs on request only

Was told at HKG F checkin that the bulkhead in PE is now being held (similar to the front J mini-cabin on 77Ws) for DMs on request at airport checkin only -- not accessible through OLCI where the whole row will appear occupied -- whereas it is really on hold.

If you are not DM then you may have a chance at the gate to request it once DMs have been accommodated.

Problem is that CX has now realised there is a very distinct advantage to the spaciousness of the bulkhead row in PE vs the remaining other rows.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:34 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This makes PE an even s..ttier product. Y exit rows are more attractive than Y+.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by sxc
This makes PE an even s..ttier product. Y exit rows are more attractive than Y+.
PEY balkhead seats are horrible in my opinion vs. other seats. The bulkhead seat's IFE are in a strange position that you can't really enjoy the movie unless you sit upright. The leg rest is still pretty bad even with full extension (I am not super tall, only 6'). Personally I would avoid it. Y on the otherhand is great.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:35 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CPwingwalker
Was told at HKG F checkin that the bulkhead in PE is now being held (similar to the front J mini-cabin on 77Ws) for DMs on request at airport checkin only -- not accessible through OLCI where the whole row will appear occupied -- whereas it is really on hold.
Hopefully those of us who have existing seat assignments in the bulkhead will not be moved...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Thai
They better not take away our bulkhead seat reservations. That would royally P**S me off! It was obvious when I booked my flight that all bulkhead seats were being blocked from being picked online, but a call to Cathay and they seemed more than happy to assign me one of the seats.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:57 am
Suspended

OP, curious as the window view seems to be very important to you. Which side seems to be better for photos approaching HKG...A or K? What about departuring HKG? Which one would you prefer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.