FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   CX wins ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1365986-cx-wins.html)

Kachjc Jul 12, 2012 9:25 pm

CX wins ...

Cathay wins worlds best business class
http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...012/jclass.htm

maortega15 Jul 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Take note that its business class overall, not just the seat itself. ;) That goes to Oman Air.

Strange that CX dropped to number 2 this year for Best Tranpacific Airline. Also strange that CX went to number 2 for best IFE.

No announcement yet for best J class lounge.

QRC3288 Jul 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Except for the marketing monkies at airlines, does anybody actually take these polls seriously? They're laughable. Qatar over Singapore? Cathay on top? Have they actually ridden CX's regional J lately?

maortega15 Jul 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 18921202)
Except for the marketing monkies at airlines, does anybody actually take these polls seriously? They're laughable. Qatar over Singapore? Cathay on top? Have they actually ridden CX's regional J lately?

I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me on this one or not, but I think SQ is overrated. I have never been on SQ before but by reading reports and looking at pictures, it doesn't really appeal to me. SQ does have some flaws to me. Like leather seats opposed to fabric, cabin colors, and the screens are kind of too big for me. Although I will give SQ a short try later this year from HKG-SIN.

Anyways, we actually have plans to replace the regional product. I assume this year or next. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The regional product (both J and Y) need a refreshment. Some of SQ's aircraft have the new J like the ones on their A330's.

Kachjc Jul 13, 2012 12:20 am

The award is assumed to be for long haul business class!!!

Regional cabins and routes are separate

jagmeets Jul 13, 2012 1:26 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 18921232)
I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me on this one or not, but I think SQ is overrated. .

+100

While SQ's regional biz hardware is probably better than CX's (long haul - definitely not, now!, and CX F>> SQ F imho), I'd still pick CX over SQ any day in Y, J, or C MPC/Kirsflyer status notwithstanding.

A recent SIN-DEL flight in biz on SQ (new regional seats, my first non-Y flight with SQ in 4 years) - seats/IFE quite decent, but everything else - attitude, service etc - CX is way ahead imho :).

Was told that they'd forgotten to uplift my BTC meal - later, when i asked for a comment card so that the snafu was recorded, i got a very apologetic senior Steward offering me a SGD 100 Krisshop voucher, along with a "it was actually loaded, but there was a miscommunication among the crew" (and offering me a second dinner in case i cared)!
This in a half empty C cabin. And i had no use for the voucher but seeing my wife's relatively less infrequent travels on SQ, he commented 'maybe she could use it later'.

Nudged for more feedback i told him that everything with SQ was way too robotic, to which he sheepishly admitted that the SGD100 voucher was also the exact amount by the rule book - nothing less, nothing more.

Best bit - I noted in the feedback card that I am very happy sending my $s CX's way, despite being based in SIN and will continue to avoid SQ to the extent possible.
Get an email a week later "We are sorry to learn that your BTC meal was wrongly uplifted. We understand that as a consequence of this mistake our crew offered you a SGD100 voucher. This was graciously accepted by you. We look forward to welcoming you again soon."

Also, Wifey got to compare SQ's F product on another regional flight (same hardware on the refurbed regional 777s as the 77Ws) and CX came out tops for her on almost all aspects!

maortega15 Jul 13, 2012 1:51 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 18921523)
+100

While SQ's regional biz hardware is probably better than CX's (long haul - definitely not, now!, and CX F>> SQ F imho), I'd still pick CX over SQ any day in Y, J, or C MPC/Kirsflyer status notwithstanding.

A recent SIN-DEL flight in biz on SQ (new regional seats, my first non-Y flight with SQ in 4 years) - seats/IFE quite decent, but everything else - attitude, service etc - CX is way ahead imho :).

Was told that they'd forgotten to uplift my BTC meal - later, when i asked for a comment card so that the snafu was recorded, i got a very apologetic senior Steward offering me a SGD 100 Krisshop voucher, along with a "it was actually loaded, but there was a miscommunication among the crew" (and offering me a second dinner in case i cared)!
This in a half empty C cabin. And i had no use for the voucher but seeing my wife's relatively less infrequent travels on SQ, he commented 'maybe she could use it later'.

Nudged for more feedback i told him that everything with SQ was way too robotic, to which he sheepishly admitted that the SGD100 voucher was also the exact amount by the rule book - nothing less, nothing more.

Best bit - I noted in the feedback card that I am very happy sending my $s CX's way, despite being based in SIN and will continue to avoid SQ to the extent possible.
Get an email a week later "We are sorry to learn that your BTC meal was wrongly uplifted. We understand that as a consequence of this mistake our crew offered you a SGD100 voucher. This was graciously accepted by you. We look forward to welcoming you again soon."

Also, Wifey got to compare SQ's F product on another regional flight (same hardware on the refurbed regional 777s as the 77Ws) and CX came out tops for her on almost all aspects!

The robotic service is what I have been hearing often from other travellers regarding SQ. CX is more heart warming which I like. They like to chit-chat with you, make sure you're taken care of, etc.

Although there are things that I would like CX to have that SQ has already. Book the cook is one of them. Others like TG and MH are following suit with that option. I would like CX to do the same. Another thing SQ has is plated meals instead of casseroles. Plated meals look much more classy and elegant in my opinion. As far as IFE goes, I have not tried SQ's IFE but according to the awards, CX topped SQ.

Things I like about CX than SQ are the size of seats, the colors of the cabin. "Missuse" of longhaul airraft on regional routes. SQ for example on the SIN-MNL route only deploy 772's and one daily A330 flight. CX on the other hand, deploys every kind of aircraft in their passenger fleet to MNL. At least you can get a little bit of good rest on a flat bed or atleast watch a tv episode.

QRC3288 Jul 13, 2012 2:47 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 18921523)

Agree much with your other points. However, the infrequent times I do book J class regionally (either PEK-SIN or HKG-SIN) I find that I don't have to worry about random aircraft swaps, it's a superior hard product, and the food tastes better. CX's "new" regional business class seats are just really bad.

jagmeets Jul 13, 2012 2:55 am

Hopefully the regional planes see a refurbish in all classes soon enough (late 2012 announcment?)! Till then i'm fine with putting up with the current, admittedly inferior, hard product for short haul.

FlyPointyEnd Jul 13, 2012 2:57 am

I think its about time that CX seriously looks into revamping their regional business class seats...

phlashba Jul 13, 2012 7:27 am

Totally agreed --- Skytrax in particular is a huge joke!

roquejo Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 18921232)
I'm not sure if anyone agrees with me on this one or not, but I think SQ is overrated. I have never been on SQ before but by reading reports and looking at pictures, it doesn't really appeal to me. SQ does have some flaws to me. Like leather seats opposed to fabric, cabin colors, and the screens are kind of too big for me. Although I will give SQ a short try later this year from HKG-SIN.

Anyways, we actually have plans to replace the regional product. I assume this year or next. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The regional product (both J and Y) need a refreshment. Some of SQ's aircraft have the new J like the ones on their A330's.

Hmm...we might be in the wrong forum...but since SQ was discussed here..
SQ won the best in economy..which I do agree.. I've taken 2 SQ regional flights in the last 6 months.. you want to know what set apart SQ from other airlines in economy?

Based on my actual experience, the food and drinks. Among the airlines, SQ has a higher budget for their economy food than other airlines. Not only they use non disposable utensils, I still can't believe they served a choice of either turkey or big prawns in an economy flight..

And for the drinks? So far they are the only airline I know that serves mixed cocktails on economy flights.. they have singapore slings, bloody mary vodka mix, screwdriver, and another cocktail (spite based) that I forgot.. on a long haul flight, you can actualy get drunk with all those unlimited singapore slings in economy.

Compared to CX economy that only serve red and white wine in economy..

Aside from the food, it is really hit and miss, if you lucky enough to get the newer regional aircraft, its full AVOD and bigger economy screen than CX. But if you are unlucky to get the old aircraft.it really suck.. not only small screen, you can't pause the movie.

That is my experience with SQ.. again, I know wrong thread, but this is reg Skytrax airline awards.. and SQ was mentioned.

but of course, I fly CX more, I don't have status and lounge access in SQ but I do in CX... but just sharing my experience in SQ.. and a little biased on food and drinks on board being a foodie.. which SQ defintely wins over CX economy, but only on this department

mkjr Jul 13, 2012 1:34 pm

CZ for top ten in seats...in j? is that right?

kaka Jul 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by roquejo (Post 18924355)
Hmm...we might be in the wrong forum...but since SQ was discussed here..
SQ won the best in economy..which I do agree.. I've taken 2 SQ regional flights in the last 6 months.. you want to know what set apart SQ from other airlines in economy?

Based on my actual experience, the food and drinks. Among the airlines, SQ has a higher budget for their economy food than other airlines. Not only they use non disposable utensils, I still can't believe they served a choice of either turkey or big prawns in an economy flight..

And for the drinks? So far they are the only airline I know that serves mixed cocktails on economy flights.. they have singapore slings, bloody mary vodka mix, screwdriver, and another cocktail (spite based) that I forgot.. on a long haul flight, you can actualy get drunk with all those unlimited singapore slings in economy.

Compared to CX economy that only serve red and white wine in economy..

Aside from the food, it is really hit and miss, if you lucky enough to get the newer regional aircraft, its full AVOD and bigger economy screen than CX. But if you are unlucky to get the old aircraft.it really suck.. not only small screen, you can't pause the movie.

That is my experience with SQ.. again, I know wrong thread, but this is reg Skytrax airline awards.. and SQ was mentioned.

but of course, I fly CX more, I don't have status and lounge access in SQ but I do in CX... but just sharing my experience in SQ.. and a little biased on food and drinks on board being a foodie.. which SQ defintely wins over CX economy, but only on this department

You cant get bloody mary in cx now?? Oh well, ill give that a miss for gin and tonic then

QRC3288 Jul 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 18926630)
You cant get bloody mary in cx now?? Oh well, ill give that a miss for gin and tonic then

? I thought you can get a bloody mary? I had one in EY class a few weeks ago...