J wines are going downhill again

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
J wines are going downhill again

I recently flew CX261 to CDG in J.
They have now replaced the last decent wine (a red Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois) by a cheap Medoc Château Taffard de Blaignan 2009. This wine is much too young to drink and cheap. I can buy it today in the local supermarket in Paris (Carrefour) for less than 40HKD (3.94€). So CX must get it for far less:
https://www.promo-perso.com/promotio...0de%20Blaignan
All the other wines are also mediocre, as I have tasted them several times onboard. The white Chalonais is a disgrace. Why cant CX serve a decent Bourgogne?
In my experience, CX is now serving the worst longhaul J wines of any airline. I would not drink them for my daily family dinner.

I also had bad experience with service. The plane was only half full in J but they had a full crew. We were served a drink after takeoff (I took orange juice), then the tray came for with the starter, but no drinks on the trolley. I could see the J purser pushing a drink trolley in the first three rows, then she returned and loaded the hot main. So no wine for the first dish (after 15 min I rang the bell). This was standard procedure as my wife who was seated on the other aisle (two middle new seats), did not get wine either, but luckily she still had some champagne left. The mains were limited to two choices (prawns or lamb) and poor quality/quantity.
I can understand that CX has invested a lot in the new seats and has decided to cutback on food/wines to reduce costs in any way they can (including frequency of drink service). But there is a limit to cost-cutting on wines (and food). When you pay over 40,000 for a ticket you expect some decent offering. I know that I can get (slightly) better wines at the lounge and could bring my own bottle onboard (from duty free), but that is not a proper answer.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
They have now replaced the last decent wine (a red Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois) by a cheap Medoc Château Taffard de Blaignan 2009. This wine is much too young to drink and cheap. I can buy it today in the local supermarket in Paris (Carrefour) for less than 40HKD (3.94€). So CX must get it for far less:
https://www.promo-perso.com/promotio...0de%20Blaignan
All the other wines are also mediocre, as I have tasted them several times onboard. The white Chalonais is a disgrace. Why cant CX serve a decent Bourgogne?
In my experience, CX is now serving the worst longhaul J wines of any airline. I would not drink them for my daily family dinner.

I also had bad experience with service. The plane was only half full in J but they had a full crew. We were served a drink after takeoff (I took orange juice), then the tray came for with the starter, but no drinks on the trolley. I could see the J purser pushing a drink trolley in the first three rows, then she returned and loaded the hot main. So no wine for the first dish (after 15 min I rang the bell). This was standard procedure as my wife who was seated on the other aisle (two middle new seats), did not get wine either, but luckily she still had some champagne left. The mains were limited to two choices (prawns or lamb) and poor quality/quantity.
I can understand that CX has invested a lot in the new seats and has decided to cutback on food/wines to reduce costs in any way they can (including frequency of drink service). But there is a limit to cost-cutting on wines (and food). When you pay over 40,000 for a ticket you expect some decent offering. I know that I can get (slightly) better wines at the lounge and could bring my own bottle onboard (from duty free), but that is not a proper answer.
Well not much incentive to try harder on this route. AF serves better wine so maybe worthwhile u trying them and see ?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Well not much incentive to try harder on this route. AF serves better wine so maybe worthwhile u trying them and see ?
I am not sure that I get your point.
Is the jest that if I don't like it just use another airline?
And the same wines are served on all routs, aren't they?

Last edited by brunos; Oct 8, 2012 at 8:14 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:39 am
Suspended

I am not sure that I get your point.
Is the jest that if I don't like it just use another airline?
And the same wines are served on all routs, aren't they?
But then what do you expect? Upgrade to F or go with AF? Because as u indicated doesn't seem like they will improve the wine ?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
I don't comment on the wines as these are personal preferences. For the service, OP is on a midnight flight and on these flights the first meal service does vary. Sometimes it will be served like other daytime flights - cocktail (drink and nuts), followed by meal tray, another round of drink before main course and so on. But the SP, at his/her discretion, may omit parts of the service so that the cabin lights could be switched off earlier. In some cases nuts are just skipped and in some cases they don't use the carts.

Also on a midnight ex-HKG departure, the first meal consists of 2 choices of hot main course, and there is an express 'one-tray' option. It has been like that for years.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:26 pm

This wine is much too young to drink and cheap. I can buy it today in the local supermarket in Paris (Carrefour) for less than 40HKD (3.94€). So CX must get it for far less
I think it's perfectly fine to criticize wines from your personal views and opinions, but if you judge wines by the price tag, you blew it.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Central90210
I think it's perfectly fine to criticize wines from your personal views and opinions, but if you judge wines by the price tag, you blew it.
What is wrong to use price as a criteria? It doesn't have to be the only criteria but nothing wrong to use it as one of the criteria!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bagold
What is wrong to use price as a criteria? It doesn't have to be the only criteria but nothing wrong to use it as one of the criteria!
But if you say a wine cost less therefore it is inferior then is that a valid judgement
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Totally disagree. If they are serving a HK$40 wine in J then what must they be serving in Y?? If the price of a J seat is at least 4 times the price of Y then so should the cost be of everything they provide.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajhira
Totally disagree. If they are serving a HK$40 wine in J then what must they be serving in Y?? If the price of a J seat is at least 4 times the price of Y then so should the cost be of everything they provide.
They serve the same coke in F J and Y So is that mean it is unacceptable ?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:50 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
They have now replaced the last decent wine (a red Bordeaux Cru Bourgeois) by a cheap Medoc Château Taffard de Blaignan 2009.
Cru Bougeois still get somewhere between an RP8x-low 90 (sorry for taking such an Openrice approach to drinking wine but I'm still a beginner) and the Blaignan 2009 is RP88:

"2009 Chateau Blaignan
Chateau Blaignan

A Bordeaux Blend Dry Red Table wine from
Medoc, Bordeaux, France

Reviewed by Robert Parker in Wine Advocate # 199 Feb 2012. Rating 88, Drink 2012 - 2018, Current retail $26, Release price $16
This vineyard just outside Pauillac has produced a seductive, sexy wine with an elegant combination of black cherry and black currant fruit. Some dusty, loamy soil notes also make an appearance as well as some high-quality unsmoked cigar tobacco. Drink it over the next 5-6 years. (A member of the Association of Crus Bourgeois du Medoc.) "

If you got it for 4 Euros then you may have got the wine for a bargain.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ajhira
My point is it's unfair to rank stuff based on price. You can find incredibly drinkable wines at cheap prices, such as, IMO, Remole Toscana. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad.

I bought a Uniqlo jacket for HK$79 4 years ago and it's still in perfect condition, while my $4000 Dolce & Gabbana hoodie I bought last year is already worn out.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:51 pm

My point is it's unfair to rank stuff based on price. You can find incredibly drinkable wines at cheap prices, such as, IMO, Remole Toscana. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's bad.

I bought a Uniqlo jacket for HK$79 4 years ago and it's still in perfect condition, while my $4000 Dolce & Gabbana hoodie I bought last year is already worn out.
At least I hope your $3800 sweatpants are hanging in there !
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
The point is for $40,000 surely a passenger can expect a decent glass of wine? EK have Hennessy XO in J as an after dinner tipple as an example.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hau cheng
The point is for $40,000 surely a passenger can expect a decent glass of wine? EK have Hennessy XO in J as an after dinner tipple as an example.
I remember VS PE has also has cognac...Courvoisier?

http://bloggers.or.ke/life-at-30000f...o-london-2012/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.