Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy - beware of equipment changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy - beware of equipment changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i think protocol is if booked on W or R then equipment swap will get automatic bump tp J cabin. but for E its case by case, down to L if u are nobody and dont complain but if you make a fuss very likely put bsck to J
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by fakecd
i think protocol is if booked on W or R then equipment swap will get automatic bump tp J cabin. but for E its case by case, down to L if u are nobody and dont complain but if you make a fuss very likely put bsck to J
E should be treated like W R after those that are booked into that fare class are accommodated. Instead, I booked E but was reclassified as L. Would W and R be reclassified as J?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
E should be treated like W R after those that are booked into that fare class are accommodated. Instead, I booked E but was reclassified as L. Would W and R be reclassified as J?
Had E class booked into L once on the first sector of a TPE-HKG-xxx flight, called and emailed for about 1 week before they relented and re-booked into I.

On the return flight from Europe, perhaps due to EC261/2004 regulations, E was automatically rebooked into I after aircraft swap on the HKG-TPE sector.

My 2 cents would be to make some noise when it is not proactively offered.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:20 am

Programs: LH HON
As OWE I have yet to experience a downgrade to economy in case of equipment changes. Even when "just" booked into E.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
I booked PEY for my flight to Seoul and on the day I flew, CX sent me a notification that due to aircraft rotation, they re-booked me to Y. Eventually I got a refund from BA avios (Its a redemption ticket), During my check-in, I got op-up to J. (FYI - MPC Go) Maybe I am just lucky.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:58 pm

So… I'm currently booked in 773 ER and my flight looks like CX is going for gold with over selling...

Seats are blocked in Y, PE and J but they're still selling tickets with dummy bookings I've done for the past two days. How does CX handle this type overselling? I am curious to know if I'll be offered a different flight they have on the same day at any moment. Or if they just start farming people out to OW flights that will route them accordingly.

My flight is the nonstop to SFO. I picked CX over AA just to avoid the transfer to LAX. God forbid I'm routed on the DFW flight too.. LOL
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
So… I'm currently booked in 773 ER and my flight looks like CX is going for gold with over selling...

Seats are blocked in Y, PE and J but they're still selling tickets with dummy bookings I've done for the past two days. How does CX handle this type overselling? I am curious to know if I'll be offered a different flight they have on the same day at any moment. Or if they just start farming people out to OW flights that will route them accordingly.

My flight is the nonstop to SFO. I picked CX over AA just to avoid the transfer to LAX. God forbid I'm routed on the DFW flight too.. LOL
I am not exactly sure how you come to the conclusion that CX is overselling the flight (or what “going for Gold with overselling” means). Because starting from about 55 hours before flight, CX will start to assign seats to pax without advanced seat reservation, the whole seat map is usually blocked. I won’t worry too much unless all seats are shown as “occupied” rather than “blocked” in EF, for example.

Usually if they are still selling ticket, they are reasonably confident that they can address overselling in a cabin by op-ups. So they will move people from Y to Y+, Y+ to J and J to F. As a result, I have rarely seen any time when CX is really dumping pax to another flight or carrier due to overselling
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
...I have never been asked to move to the F line though
The next time you have the opportunity with CX, just take a look at the signage they have up at check-in and in the boarding queue lines.

You our will notice that on Business class signs, there is a OWE and OWS. But there's also OWE designations on first class signs too.

I placed muself self in the correct lines when departing ICN and HKG even though there was F service on my flights.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Legrests at every seat?

Is it commonplace now for 777s to have legrests at every seat? I can't tell if my flight is the 77G or 77K (w/ new 10-across Y config) - I assume the 77K's are guaranteed to have 100% legrests.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jysim
Had E class booked into L once on the first sector of a TPE-HKG-xxx flight, called and emailed for about 1 week before they relented and re-booked into I.

On the return flight from Europe, perhaps due to EC261/2004 regulations, E was automatically rebooked into I after aircraft swap on the HKG-TPE sector.

My 2 cents would be to make some noise when it is not proactively offered.

Got a reply back from CX this weekend (within their 10 business days statement) after making a little noise and received a $100 credit as the price difference between PE and Y. (We all know that's not the truth.) Also CX basically told me to contact AA to see if they'd credit me accordingly. I'll do that and call it quits after that. Wondering, if, and it's a big if, I book next trip in R or W, and there's a swab and no PE on aircraft, will I be booked into J. But for the moment, no more CX even though their nonstop is convenient from SFO to HKG. But with me now having to go back to ICN next month, I'm looking at Japan Airlines instead. Mixing things up a bit this time.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Got a reply back from CX this weekend (within their 10 business days statement) after making a little noise and received a $100 credit as the price difference between PE and Y. (We all know that's not the truth.) Also CX basically told me to contact AA to see if they'd credit me accordingly. I'll do that and call it quits after that. Wondering, if, and it's a big if, I book next trip in R or W, and there's a swab and no PE on aircraft, will I be booked into J. But for the moment, no more CX even though their nonstop is convenient from SFO to HKG. But with me now having to go back to ICN next month, I'm looking at Japan Airlines instead. Mixing things up a bit this time.
If AC swap is way ahead, it will most likely to re-ticketed. My fare code was changed to I multiple times and AA credits will be based on I, which makes almost no differences for SH flights.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
If AC swap is way ahead, it will most likely to re-ticketed. My fare code was changed to I multiple times and AA credits will be based on I, which makes almost no differences for SH flights.
For what it's worth, I sent a brief message to AA and am hoping for the best at this point. Otherwise, I'm avoiding CX unless it's just SFO-HKG-SFO I need/ want to book PE. Doubt they're not flying PE on that routing. ICN is the latest addition to my SFO-Asia routing.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:12 pm

For what it's worth, I sent a brief message to AA and am hoping for the best at this point. Otherwise, I'm avoiding CX unless it's just SFO-HKG-SFO I need/ want to book PE. Doubt they're not flying PE on that routing. ICN is the latest addition to my SFO-Asia routing.
NA LH won't change AC and a 77X - 359 swap will not change PEY anyway. Just like AA won't use 737 for the 2 transcons.
AC swap is more of a SH/regional thing, which is consistent with our experiences. I would not worry about LH AC swap at all. Trust me, in this specific area CX knows what they are doing, LH PEY and Y are quite different regardless of 359 or 77W.

And to get back to the missing reply above, the reason why I did not get asked to move to the red sign (F/OWE/MPC DM) is that I was already lined up at that sign, every single time (unless no OWE sign such as EWR).

Last edited by andersonCooper; Jul 30, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
When does CX actually load the aircraft swap? I just received an email that I was upraded from E to I on a regional flight a few months away but the aircraft is still showing as a 359 with the 359 seat map.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by dls25
When does CX actually load the aircraft swap? I just received an email that I was upraded from E to I on a regional flight a few months away but the aircraft is still showing as a 359 with the 359 seat map.
Wait a couple days when you receive the apology and re-ticketing email. Same thing for me, 359 seat map first, then back to 773.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.