Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Premium Economy - beware of equipment changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy - beware of equipment changes

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I was holding a ticket with CX couple of days ago (thanks to the 72 hour ticket holding CX introduced), originally all sectors were booked into E. However, it seems that CX decided to change one sector to regional none PEY configuration CX501 on 16th June and changed my booking class to L (which is very low).

Should I go ahead and make payment? What is the chance like for me to call CX later and maybe ask them to move me into J instead of Y.

Why not call CX to change CX501 to CX543, the 10.35am HND flight? That flight is currently showing as a 333 having PEY (although it may be swapped away last minute as well). If OP wants guaranteed PEY, CX549 is almost always going to be a 4-class 77H(A).
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Affected today with a change on my flight as well. 777W was swapped out for a version that doesn't have PE. I too was sent to Y on L fare as I was on PE on E fare... Not happy... But my flight is in 2 days so maybe it will change back to one with PE. Maybe not..

But according to EF, the Y section is full now and there are few seats in J. Maybe I'll get lucky.... Maybe... But at least I think I'm going to be looking for a refund for the fare I paid for PE if I'm in Y window seat. Lost my aisle seat in PE.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Affected today with a change on my flight as well. 777W was swapped out for a version that doesn't have PE. I too was sent to Y on L fare as I was on PE on E fare... Not happy... But my flight is in 2 days so maybe it will change back to one with PE. Maybe not..

But according to EF, the Y section is full now and there are few seats in J. Maybe I'll get lucky.... Maybe... But at least I think I'm going to be looking for a refund for the fare I paid for PE if I'm in Y window seat. Lost my aisle seat in PE.
From a 77W to a 773? If that's the case unlikely get a long haul equipment back as Y is full even on a 773...

Also unlikely you'll get a refund as PEY E fare is close to Y L fare... Your best bet would be as to be moved to J during check-in if J is not full....
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong
From a 77W to a 773? If that's the case unlikely get a long haul equipment back as Y is full even on a 773...

Also unlikely you'll get a refund as PEY E fare is close to Y L fare... Your best bet would be as to be moved to J during check-in if J is not full....
Come to think about it, thinking my aircraft was an A333 and not 77W. But the new one is for sure 773. Just looked again. Wondering if I'll earn credit on fare E and not L. That's the least that can be done since it may be unlikely some sorta refund would be coming my way. Just hoping for op-up to be in my future tomorrow. If not, it's not the end of the world. It's a relatively short flight (ICN-HKG). Not worth it to put in bid in my opinion at the "fair level" of $800 USD.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Come to think about it, thinking my aircraft was an A333 and not 77W. But the new one is for sure 773. Just looked again. Wondering if I'll earn credit on fare E and not L. That's the least that can be done since it may be unlikely some sorta refund would be coming my way. Just hoping for op-up to be in my future tomorrow. If not, it's not the end of the world. It's a relatively short flight (ICN-HKG). Not worth it to put in bid in my opinion at the "fair level" of $800 USD.
Sorry for the change of aircraft (again) of CX. It has been annoying while I think your case could be the worst with E class changed to L class without refund. Even if they are of similar value, I doubt if anyone would deliberately buy L class fare instead of E at the very beginning. There is just no point to have a L class ticket unless one is after the club points or mileage upgrade.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SLGO

Sorry for the change of aircraft (again) of CX. It has been annoying while I think your case could be the worst with E class changed to L class without refund. Even if they are of similar value, I doubt if anyone would deliberately buy L class fare instead of E at the very beginning. There is just no point to have a L class ticket unless one is after the club points or mileage upgrade.
L is useless, it doesn't provide more club points vs V, and it doesn't allow upgrade.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
L is useless, it doesn't provide more club points vs V, and it doesn't allow upgrade.
It wasn't a choice I made either. My original fare was E. CX canceled it and rebooked in in L.

Fortunately, I was op-up from seat 45K to 25D. My flight was delayed (twice) and the aircraft changed again. Final aircraft was A 33E. An hour before arriving at airport, I check CX app and noticed I was in 25 D but it said I was in Y still. I moved myself to 15 A. But at the counter for checking luggage, I was back in 25D. Agent says management puts OWE in mini cabin sometimes. Well, there was apparently only one other OWE in the mini J cabin as I witnessed only one other person getting the personal greeting I received after him as he was sitting next to me in 25 A.

Funny thing I also noted was that upon boarding, I was pulled from the J boarding queue, to a very short F queue even though there was non F on the plane. Was told that OWE board first from that line... Oddly enough though, of the six of use in that line, I was the only one in J, they were all in Y. I was the only one traveling alone though. Guess they couldn't be accommodated as a group for op-up situation.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
It wasn't a choice I made either. My original fare was E. CX canceled it and rebooked in in L.

Fortunately, I was op-up from seat 45K to 25D. My flight was delayed (twice) and the aircraft changed again. Final aircraft was A 33E. An hour before arriving at airport, I check CX app and noticed I was in 25 D but it said I was in Y still. I moved myself to 15 A. But at the counter for checking luggage, I was back in 25D. Agent says management puts OWE in mini cabin sometimes. Well, there was apparently only one other OWE in the mini J cabin as I witnessed only one other person getting the personal greeting I received after him as he was sitting next to me in 25 A.

Funny thing I also noted was that upon boarding, I was pulled from the J boarding queue, to a very short F queue even though there was non F on the plane. Was told that OWE board first from that line... Oddly enough though, of the six of use in that line, I was the only one in J, they were all in Y. I was the only one traveling alone though. Guess they couldn't be accommodated as a group for op-up situation.
CX usually upgrades PEY to J during an AC swap situation where PEY is no longer available, to avoid paying fare differences.

I have never been asked to move to the F line though
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
CX usually upgrades PEY to J during an AC swap situation where PEY is no longer available, to avoid paying fare differences.
Many stories to contradict this notion of “usually”, including my own. Had to fight pretty hard on multiple occasions when CX assumed the natural result shall be a downgrade without as much as an offer of compensation
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
So instead of putting OWE in mini J this time likely CX put those with PEY booking in mini J

Does OP you have J serving or Y serving?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by gpia

Many stories to contradict this notion of “usually”, including my own. Had to fight pretty hard on multiple occasions when CX assumed the natural result shall be a downgrade without as much as an offer of compensation
ok, change "usually" to "sometimes", though my own experience is "always".
gpia likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Booked 5 tickets using ba avios for BKK hkg in pe.
(2 emerald and 2 sapphire). Equipment swap and put in J. Reservation said no need to ask ba to reissue ticket aa check in can reissue but the downside is not can't get seat assignment.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper

I have never been asked to move to the F line though
I was hopeful for the upgrade indeed. Now my "concern" is if I earned EQD/EQM on E or L fare. If the latter, I think I'm due some type of refund even though the upgraded me to J. My new confirmed ticket was L and not J after my E fare was canceled. If the reverse had been true, maybe I'd be happy with that and not so eager to determine what I earned in return. Just me...

As for the being moved to F boarding queue, this is the 2nd time I've been directed to another queue. It happened when I was departing HKG for ICN too, Was in the PE line and when the agents came to check my documents, I was pulled out to J queue but then send to the F/OWE queue they started and I was 2nd in line there. Talk about feeling awkward... And again, no F on the plane but placed in that queue as the agent said "Emeralds line up here."
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
So instead of putting OWE in mini J this time likely CX put those with PEY booking in mini J

Does OP you have J serving or Y serving?
It was J service... Flight manager greeting and the FA's always greeted me with my name with each interaction. Even was offered blanket as they turned up the AC bigtime!! Was dressed in jeans and still wanted the blanket!!
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:52 am
wkc

My friend experienced this too last month on his outbound flight YVR-HKG-SIN. PEY downgrade to Y during his short layover at HKG. Told him to complain about it at the check-in counter when he got back to the airport and they promptly upgraded him to J for the SIN leg without a fight.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.