Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Having recently visited The Wing Business Class lounge at Hong Kong's International Airport I have to say that I'm of the opinion that it is simply the best Oneworld business class lounge in the network. I admit, my experience isn't as wide as some, but given that I've visited a reasonable selection of 'hub/home' lounges in Australia, the UK and Asia I feel like I can certainly put my opinion out there.

What does everyone else think? Is there another OW J lounge out there that tops it?

Last edited by matthandy; Jun 9, 2012 at 8:22 am
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Having experienced The Wing last year (when Level 7 was still the old style, and Level 6 had just reopened following its refurbishment), I would have to agree.

I would say that The Wing and The Cabin are probably joint best oneworld business class lounges - the service and catering options in particular are far superior to any other J lounge that I can think of. I'm also a big fan of the design of both lounges as something a bit different over the blander alternatives.

However, I would not say that The Wing (prior to refurbishment) or The Pier were the best oneworld first class lounges - that honour goes to the QF International First lounge in SYD, in my opinion. BA's Concorde Rooms at LHR and JFK come close, but as they are not technically oneworld lounges, I guess they don't count.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - Did you try any other CX lounges in HKG?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
OP - Did you try any other CX lounges in HKG?
Yes. I've tried all of the CX J lounges at HKG including the Wing, (both pre an post refurbishment), the Cabin, the Pier and the G16 lounge as well as the new BA/QF J lounge.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by matthandy
Yes. I've tried all of the CX J lounges at HKG including the Wing, (both pre an post refurbishment), the Cabin, the Pier and the G16 lounge as well as the new BA/QF J lounge.
Maybe personal perception - the Wing is good for its environment, but not the food selection.

The Pier has more selection but a little bit crowded.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
While I agree that the Wing is the best J lounge in the OW network, I'd like to add that the Cabin is probably the worst lounge in HKG. Yes, I rate it even below the G16 lounge. The Cabin has a distinct lack in seating capacity, feels claustrophobic, and the Solus chairs are an absolute joke.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Well the cabin is best for me in terms of food with the fresh juice and smoked salmon, but otherwise I agree it is pretty cramped ....
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Those long benches are the stupidest decision ever. Basically space for 2 people gets taken by one person who either is lying on the bench or has spread their things all over the bench so you have to be forceful if you want them to make room for you and therefore endure "the face" and attitude while you are sitting there next to a stranger. CX should have known that in HK people will take up as much space as possible being inconsiderate to the needs of others.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Those long benches are the stupidest decision ever. Basically space for 2 people gets taken by one person who either is lying on the bench or has spread their things all over the bench so you have to be forceful if you want them to make room for you and therefore endure "the face" and attitude while you are sitting there next to a stranger. CX should have known that in HK people will take up as much space as possible being inconsiderate to the needs of others.
I have seen people in those seats and they seem really comfortable , many people I know say they choose the cabin over the wing just because of those seats

I think Cathay calls them couple booths
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Kachjc
I think Cathay calls them couple booths
Couple booths invariably occupied by one person and their handbag/luggage.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by sxc
.. CX should have known that in HK people will take up as much space as possible being inconsiderate to the needs of others.
Yes, but the design is probably 'British'...

Things that work elsewhere in the world just won't work in HK...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:24 am

The QF J lounge in HK is at least better at putting plenty of Perriers (2 different sized bottles) in the fridge.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: CX MPO SL
my two cents:

The Cabin - excellent food selection. Last time I went there was during breakfast time. Their scrambled eggs are yummy. There's also dim-sum, smoked salmon (if I remember correctly), etc. Beverage choices are great - fresh juices, Chinese tea, espresso, as well as some in-house specialty drinks. The only downside is that it could get very crowded.

The Wing - food/beverage selection more limited, but still reasonable. Less crowded than the Cabin.

Can't comment on seats. I usually try to stand up and walk around a bit, before having to sit for 16 hrs on transpacific flights.

To answer the original question: yes, in my limited experience the Cabin is the best OW J lounge. I have used a few AA/BA lounges in North America and Europe. None comes close to the Cabin in terms of food/beverage offering, decor and lighting (some lounges have no windows and are downright depressing).

Of course, different people value things differently - if good seats, no crowds, etc are important to you, your may very well have a different answer as to what the "best" OW J lounge is.

Last edited by Zodiac; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:19 am
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Flyer888
The QF J lounge in HK is at least better at putting plenty of Perriers (2 different sized bottles) in the fridge.
if in the mid morning around 11am, best lounge in HKG when it is totally empty. but once it fills up with BA and QF pax, starts to get too loud given it is not as open as the Wing.

as to showers, best showers are BA/QF, then Pier and then new Wing. i go to the cabin just to get some deli food and then relax at the wing and have some noodles and champagne.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zodiac
To answer the original question: yes, in my limited experience the Cabin is the best OW J lounge.
Actually I was saying that I thought that the Wing was the best....

The Cabin is ok. No question about the food selection but I just found it a bit cramped. All of those Solus chairs packed in to a tiny space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.