Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

My thoughts and observations on New J Class (Cirrus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX

So, I flew what was my first flight in New J Class (Cirrus) a few days ago. This was a last minute trip and I used my miles to upgrade. I will focus on the seat only as I'm sure everyone is familiar with J class service flows.

The Good

Storage - Cubby holes everywhere. This is a massive step-up from herringbone J. Extra thumbs up for the guy who designed the shoe storage.

iPod connectivity - I charged my iPhone with this. What a great feature as I usually have to charge my either iPad or MacBook Air. Now I can charge two at the same time. Brilliant.

Tray table - The best design I've ever seen. I don't think there's a lot more to say about it?

Ottoman in leather - Much better than the whatever fabric they use in Herringbone.

Looking out of windows - Personally it's never bothered me, but some people like to check whether or not the sky has disappeared during the flight when the cabin is dark and everyone else is asleep.

For couples travelling together - you can now talk to each other by choosing middle seats D and G. Sadly, for singles in middle seats, your only partition is the mirror cover...

The Bad

Privacy - I could see what the pax on either side of myself were eating without even straining my neck. I didn't feel at all private or is it just me?

Armrests - Too low, and too far apart.

Lounging position - In Herringbone, you could lay your feet fully onto the legrest without using the ottoman. I could no longer do this on Cirrus. I couldn't find a comfortable lounging position either, but perhaps that's because it's only my first time on Cirrus.

Sleeping position - Has anyone found it to be worse than Herringbone? When in fully flat position my shoulders were *almost* touching both sides, and I'm not large by any means. In Herringbone I had loads of space.

Has anyone noticed that they've done away with two pillows as well? Now you only get one. Before you had an extra one to act as your pillow.

For those who sleep on the right (like myself), you should get an A or G seat because there is extra space on the right side when fully flat to place your head. For those who sleep on the left, D or K seats. I had no choice, 21D was the only seat available when I OLCIed.

So, what have they done? Apparently they've reduced the seat width in exchange for a "less claustrophobic" environment, while also sacrificing privacy.

The only people that benefit from Cirrus are couples. Other than that, unless you need to consistently check whether the sky is still out there, or you're a tourist and you bring so much souvenirs that you need to bring some onboard, I find Cirrus a step backwards from Herringbone.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by kchika
So, I flew what was my first flight in New J Class (Cirrus) a few days ago. This was a last minute trip and I used my miles to upgrade. I will focus on the seat only as I'm sure everyone is familiar with J class service flows.

The Good

Storage - Cubby holes everywhere. This is a massive step-up from herringbone J. Extra thumbs up for the guy who designed the shoe storage.

iPod connectivity - I charged my iPhone with this. What a great feature as I usually have to charge my either iPad or MacBook Air. Now I can charge two at the same time. Brilliant.

Tray table - The best design I've ever seen. I don't think there's a lot more to say about it?

Ottoman in leather - Much better than the whatever fabric they use in Herringbone.

Looking out of windows - Personally it's never bothered me, but some people like to check whether or not the sky has disappeared during the flight when the cabin is dark and everyone else is asleep.

For couples travelling together - you can now talk to each other by choosing middle seats D and G. Sadly, for singles in middle seats, your only partition is the mirror cover...

The Bad

Privacy - I could see what the pax on either side of myself were eating without even straining my neck. I didn't feel at all private or is it just me?

Armrests - Too low, and too far apart.

Lounging position - In Herringbone, you could lay your feet fully onto the legrest without using the ottoman. I could no longer do this on Cirrus. I couldn't find a comfortable lounging position either, but perhaps that's because it's only my first time on Cirrus.

Sleeping position - Has anyone found it to be worse than Herringbone? When in fully flat position my shoulders were *almost* touching both sides, and I'm not large by any means. In Herringbone I had loads of space.

Has anyone noticed that they've done away with two pillows as well? Now you only get one. Before you had an extra one to act as your pillow.

For those who sleep on the right (like myself), you should get an A or G seat because there is extra space on the right side when fully flat to place your head. For those who sleep on the left, D or K seats. I had no choice, 21D was the only seat available when I OLCIed.

So, what have they done? Apparently they've reduced the seat width in exchange for a "less claustrophobic" environment, while also sacrificing privacy.

The only people that benefit from Cirrus are couples. Other than that, unless you need to consistently check whether the sky is still out there, or you're a tourist and you bring so much souvenirs that you need to bring some onboard, I find Cirrus a step backwards from Herringbone.
I pretty much agree with your observation about the new J class. I did find the sleeping position to be less comfortable and private than the Herringbone. It was rather discomforting to see shadows of cabin crew walking down the aisle during the whole flight when trying to sleep.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: FT
BTW, you can move the seat forward so that you can easily put your fee on the foot rest. Also, not sure there is a new thread needed all the time for this sort of stuff. I think this is the third thread in as few weeks.

As a result, having flow this new J 5 times in the last three months, I disagree with all your negatives. I find A/G more than private enough and just as private as coffins. I

also have no issue moving the seat forward to use the leg rest although I will grant you that when the seat is forward you can not open the table tray. As to sleeping, huge improvement over the old J...with the little fin that opens up on the side when the seat is in full flat mode and the ability to depress the arm rest giving you more room, I find sleeping to be better than old J. In fact, row 21 is so large in terms of space below your fee, you could literally, sleep with your head in the opposite direction depending on your size...

But hey, we each are entitled to our own opinions.

Mine is to CX. Pretty pretty please, do not listen to these views and even remotely consider EVER reverting to the old J.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B-HQA
I pretty much agree with your observation about the new J class. I did find the sleeping position to be less comfortable and private than the Herringbone. It was rather discomforting to see shadows of cabin crew walking down the aisle during the whole flight when trying to sleep.
+1

mkjr, how many times have you flown in Herringbone?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I agree for the most part with the OP except that I found sleeping in the new J much better than the old J. Yes, there is a tradeoff and you can see more of what's happening "outside" but there's a lot more room and once you're asleep and your eyes are closed, it doesn't really matter what others are doing. The space, on the other hand, continues to matter all the way through.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club, Virgin Flying Club
I recently flew to SFO on the old J seat (upper deck on 747) and back in the new J in a window seat.

As the first flight was during the day and the second overnight, they are maybe not directly comparable, but the new J feels more spacious and more convenient, and I can't say that the lack of privacy was any problem.

I definitely prefer the new J.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Having loan the new J at least 8 times, I disagree with all the negative points presented by OP.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:50 am

+1

mkjr, how many times have you flown in Herringbone?
8 - 4 RT's between YYZ and HKG. [8 old J]

As to new J, 5 times between YYZ-HKG.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Having loan the new J at least 8 times, I disagree with all the negative points presented by OP.
Surely the armrests and the reduction in privacy would be bad points, no?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I fully agree with Kchika, except that I find the old J storage better than the new J. Yes there are many small storage holes, but I cannot store my laptop. And I miss the space near the head where I could put all my stuff , especially when sleeping. Old J was much better for overnight longhauls. And I fail to see where people find more space. Yes, it "seems" spacy for regional flights because you are in close contact with the aisle, but that is a big drawback in terms of privacy and noise without added seat space.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:55 am

so i guess i passed the test flying both enough to have an opinion on this board?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

I've flown 40+ times (or 20 returns) in Herringbone to be able to fully appreciate the advantages of it.

Like I said in the OP, I'm not sure whether it's because this is my first time in Cirrus, or if it is a just a bad design to begin with.

Granted, I didn't like Herringbone at first when it was launched either.

mkjr, I was just curious to see what the views of other people with a larger sample size were.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:21 am

mkjr, I was just curious to see what the views of other people with a larger sample size were.
I see...sorry, perhaps I was being a little bit cute. My opinion could be somewhat impacted by the fact that most of my flights are with my family and my child since she was 18 months old.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
I fully agree with Kchika, except that I find the old J storage better than the new J. Yes there are many small storage holes, but I cannot store my laptop. And I miss the space near the head where I could put all my stuff , especially when sleeping. Old J was much better for overnight longhauls. And I fail to see where people find more space. Yes, it "seems" spacy for regional flights because you are in close contact with the aisle, but that is a big drawback in terms of privacy and noise without added seat space.
U can store the laptop on the large cocktail table or the magazine rack beneath the table.
I think many people here just don't read the instructions carefully or ask for help.
Privacy wise if u do not lower the arm rest it is actually quite secluded in the sleeping position,

The only thing I find annoying is the lack of lumbar support adjustment and the massage function.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:44 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I didn't have a problem with the armrests, and hardly find looking at people's meals a privacy issue. Rather that than looking at people's feet. In herringbone to me privacy was worse since are angled into the aisle, people walking down the aisle look directly at you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.