Prem Economy - observations

Old May 7, 2012, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Prem Economy - observations

Had it recently on a short-haul. There is nothing premium about it. It's basically a humane version of econ class, i.e. what econ should be. All seats taken in Y+ cabin, but it wasn't uncomfortable. In contrast, I would have been miserable in Y with all seats taken, even for a short flight.

I do not see myself downgrading from J to Y+ on longhaul (presumably protecting J was of primary concern in how they designed the Y+ product..) , but would happily buy Y+ and not J for <4 hour flights (and so I guess Y+will never make an appearance on short-haul as a scheduled product, to protect regional J revenue).

Actually, it's a more comfortable seat than the wretched NRBC seats. Not a high bar though....
Old May 7, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Thanks for the info.

What do you think the chances of actually sleeping in that seat (e.g. LAX - HKG) would be? And if you did, when you woke up, would you be able to stand up and walk?
Old May 7, 2012, 7:39 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
Thanks for the info.

What do you think the chances of actually sleeping in that seat (e.g. LAX - HKG) would be? And if you did, when you woke up, would you be able to stand up and walk?
Better than Economy, nowhere near as well as Business!

Aren't we all getting fussy now....Premium Economy is not far off Business Class of the 80s.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Better than Economy, nowhere near as well as Business!

Aren't we all getting fussy now....Premium Economy is not far off Business Class of the 80s.
It IS the business class of 1980s...
Old May 7, 2012, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Thanks for the info.

Here's some spurious precision (and my estimates of the chances of achieving your goal for others classes , for context):

F 100%
J 90%
Y+ 20%
Y 5%
Old May 8, 2012, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You will have to understand - there is no industrial definition of what is "Premium Economy".

In a lot of cases, Premium Economy is simply a Economy with more legrooms.

Should you expect a lot?
Old May 8, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Every time I see "premium economy" it's just been economy with more legroom. But I'm 1.7 meters, I don't need legroom for anything. I always wish I had more shoulder/elbow room instead. So I usually pay for J even though I really don't care that much about the lie-flat bed (but yeah, it's nice).

When CX has premium economy HKG-LAX I will definitely give it a try. As long as it's reasonably priced compared to full J.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:46 am

YOu could say that it's the Business class of the 90's too, planes did have J in a 2-4-2 configuration back then.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by garykung
You will have to understand - there is no industrial definition of what is "Premium Economy".
You could say the same for "Business". Try intra-Europe business class, and compare it with HKG/PVG on CX or KA.

In a lot of cases, Premium Economy is simply a Economy with more legrooms.

Should you expect a lot?
Not if that's all it is, which is the case with UA's Economy Plus. But if it's like BA or QF, (which is the size that CX went for) then you should expect effective pain reduction but not luxury. For me, effective pain reduction = more legroom, more shoulder room, peace and quiet and less queueing for the loo. And that's more than intra-Europe "Business" delivers as you don't get the legroom.

Last edited by KACommuter; May 9, 2012 at 7:32 am Reason: Typo
Old May 9, 2012, 7:35 am

Thanks for the info.

I have no trouble with this product on BA and QF on the SIN/LHR route when I fly on my own pocket (which is also 13 hours or so). So I expect it'll be fine.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by KACommuter
I have no trouble with this product on BA and QF on the SIN/LHR route when I fly on my own pocket (which is also 13 hours or so). So I expect it'll be fine.
Frankly speaking Premium Economy is not that much step up from Economy in my opinion. The only Premium Economy product that I have seen that is quite good is the bmi 2-2-2 configuration product on their A330-200. They essentially put the old business seats as Premium Economy, thus giving everyone 49 inches of leg room and 21 inches seat width. They were pretty comfortable when I last tried it on their ORD to MAN route back in the day when it was still running.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You could say the same for "Business". Try intra-Europe business class, and compare it with HKG/PVG on CX or KA.
Every time I see a trip report for intra-Europe flight, I laugh

(I still don't understand why blocking the middle seats with meals is Business Class.)

Not if that's all it is, which is the case with UA's Economy Plus. But if it's like BA or QF, (which is the size that CX went for) then you should expect effective pain reduction but not luxury. For me, effective pain reduction = more legroom, more shoulder room, peace and quiet and less queueing for the loo. And that's more than intra-Europe "Business" delivers as you don't get the legroom.
You should look at TK. TK's Comfort Class is so good...

(What I am trying to say is for Y+, it really depends on how CX positions it - towards the premium experience or American way - simply a way to get more money.)
Old May 9, 2012, 8:00 pm

You should look at TK. TK's Comfort Class is so good...
So I have heard, but I'm not going to do a stop on the way to Europe just to experience a better Y+.

(What I am trying to say is for Y+, it really depends on how CX positions it - towards the premium experience or American way - simply a way to get more money.)
It's CX, and they're run by hard headed business people so it's a way to get more money by reducing the pain of long haul travel .
Old May 9, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by huhuhusky
Frankly speaking Premium Economy is not that much step up from Economy in my opinion. The only Premium Economy product that I have seen that is quite good is the bmi 2-2-2 configuration product on their A330-200. They essentially put the old business seats as Premium Economy, thus giving everyone 49 inches of leg room and 21 inches seat width. They were pretty comfortable when I last tried it on their ORD to MAN route back in the day when it was still running.
But BMI has effectively disappeared as an airline...
Old May 10, 2012, 1:58 am

Glad to hear everyone's feedback regarding Premium Econ. I haven't yet flown the product but have been wondering what it's all about since the news was announced last year.

From what it sounds like it's really not worth the price unless you're tall and want the extra legroom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.