Wiki Posts
Search

New round of stealth cost-cutting?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Gold, ICH Plat Amb
Lightbulb bottled-water-to-go now gone from HK CX lounge

I am now in the Pier lounge and surprised to find out the small Bonaqua bottles are now gone. I used to smuggle one or two of those to the plane when I travel on non-Aus/USA-bound flights. Just too shy to annoy the FAs when I need some water up in the air. Water is now served at the lounge in giant bottles to pour out from. Very smart to copy from what BA does for cost-saving in the name of waste-reduction.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:35 am

When I am there, I only drink schweppes cream soda. Champagne when I am on the plane.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Oops that's too bad and annoying for me .... I usually drink 3 bottles of those!!

I guess I will just ask for Evian from the bar and get plenty of bubble water ....
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by livetutravel
I am now in the Pier lounge and surprised to find out the small Bonaqua bottles are now gone. I used to smuggle one or two of those to the plane when I travel on non-Aus/USA-bound flights. Just too shy to annoy the FAs when I need some water up in the air. Water is now served at the lounge in giant bottles to pour out from. Very smart to copy from what BA does for cost-saving in the name of waste-reduction.

that's what you get from QF lounges too. No bottle water.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Oh no.. so it is worldwide afterwall... just came from CX lounge at Changi airport 6 days ago. First thing i noticed is there are no small bottled waters to go there, just big ones to pour on.. even my parents are looking for them.

All along I thought it is only practiced in CX Skyview lounge in Singapore, but seems now it seems even in HK as well...

Btw, I just came from the Wing and Cabin 3 weeks ago, and the small bottles are still there (and they are used to be Evian)

if I can't get bottled water to go anymore from the CX lounges on my future flights, might as well pass by and check if Traveler's lounge or Plaza Premium lounge still have bottled water to go.

I do that also, get a bottle or 2 from the lounge so I don't have to call the FA everytime I need water, it's a practical practice among frequent fliers.

Last edited by roquejo; Apr 28, 2012 at 7:33 am
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
When I am there, I only drink schweppes cream soda. Champagne when I am on the plane.
Haha.. me?, I always go for schweppes ginger beer paired with Dan Dan mien noodles everytime I am on the Wing or Pier..

Can't get enough of that ginger beer...

but of course, I rather bring bottled water to the plane for long haul flight instead of those ginger beer cans
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Thats a nightmare, I always take 2-3 bottles for my longhaul flights. Its really useful for keeping hydrated.

Perhaps bottles are still available behind the bar, that way less cost as most people wont ask for them.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by roquejo
Haha.. me?, I always go for schweppes ginger beer paired with Dan Dan mien noodles everytime I am on the Wing or Pier..

but of course, I rather bring bottled water to the plane for long haul flight instead of those ginger beer cans
but can you still request for Evian?

my lounge procedure used to be (when i had access) -
icecream + evian(ask), shower (optional), lots of noodles + 1 perrier/sparking, evian, leave.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Who cares about your car rental elite status?
Originally Posted by roquejo

That ginger beer is pretty good although I pair it with the wonton noodles. I don't like the peanut sauce with the dandan mien.

I wonder if the removal of individual bottles isn't part of a green movement rather than cost-cutting.

Last edited by divemtt; Apr 28, 2012 at 9:07 am Reason: Additional thought
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kaka
but can you still request for Evian?

my lounge procedure used to be (when i had access) -
icecream + evian(ask), shower (optional), lots of noodles + 1 perrier/sparking, evian, leave.
I hope so, last time I saw someone request for an Evian at the Cabin's health bar. Ahhh..those hagen daaz ice cream cup..

for me its noodle bar witj ginger beer first, then hang out in the long bar for cocktails like Cathay's delight.. their drink of the month for April is good..(orange juice alcoholic cocktail) is good..then if more time, the health bar for juices and smoothies... and if still more time, shower at the Wing's new shower suite.

I do think they did a cost cutting before by just having Evian "on request" rather than putting them on the shelf..

and now, they took away even the to go cheaper water bottles from the shelf..

I think what I'll just do next visit is to request same Evian bottles from the bar before boarding my flight...but they do serve Evian in J.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:27 am

No! It is to prevent smugglers from littering empties in the plane so less garbage to remove later.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
You can always ask for more bottle water on board, I've done that countless times. FAs are very willing to bring them over, or you can just walk down to galley to get one. Never a problem.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by AmexCent
You can always ask for more bottle water on board, I've done that countless times. FAs are very willing to bring them over, or you can just walk down to galley to get one. Never a problem.
If your travelling in Y its a different story .
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:59 pm

Hmm..I had my bottled water confiscated back in Jan '11, so I stopped taking it out of the lounge. Do they now allow you to carry on bottled water past the HKG CX gate security check before boarding USA bound flights?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by CX828
If your travelling in Y its a different story .
Don't fly Y that much as I either buy J or get op-upped most of the time so don't quote me, but last time I was on Y (6 months ago), everyone got a bottle of water, an Apple and an energy bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.