Wiki Posts
Search

Oenophiles delight in F

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, NH Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Plat
Oenophiles delight in F

Just noticed this announcement on the HK CX homepage. Doesn't mention how these 6 selections will be offered (ie. in rotation, all available at once (!) etc).

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____
Old May 3, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Interesting...that announcement doesn't talk about the longtime two CX wine consultants, Roy Moorfield and the other guy. I wonder if they were let go.

It's a good move by CX and something I'm sure that will be appreciated. Admittedly some of those wines are quite young, but it's still a nice improvement over the current selection. As of today, there is an absolutely insane disparity among current F class wines (Lynch Bages and Krug alongside very mediocre $10 California cabernets that could be house wines served by the glass at many restaurants in the US). Before this improvement, it was like like CX blew their entire budget on a few headliner wines, so they filled the rest of the menu in with junk hoping pax wouldn't notice. Now at least F pax get a more varied selection of fine wines.
Old May 3, 2012, 1:21 am

This is good news.. they could really use medium offerings as their range of wines is almost laughable disparity.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Just came off 831 JFK-HKG. F was 2/6, one member of the cabin crew looked after each of us. I was in 1A, other pax in 1K. My crew member reported that all Europe and N.A. flights are in this program and have one of these wines, -- very occasionally, two different ones may be catered on a single flight. We had one on my flight, though I don't remember which one, plus Lynch-Bages. A small booklet describing the wines is distributed in addition to the standard wine list.

BTW, service was actually the best I've ever had in nearly six years of flying CX long haul F. My cabin crew member couldn't have been nicer, -- always smiling, glass never empty, friendly, service anticipated my needs, even persuaded me to allow him to make up the bed when I was going to try to stay awake. I was asleep in 10 minutes. No degradation in service level to report here. Sure, with only two pax it was 1:1; but I had the impression that he just really enjoys his job. Ordered western entrée for only the second time in my CX life. (First time was lamb chops, a complete disaster, seveal years ago.) Tenderloin was not as good as a top restaurant, but much better than I had anticipated. Not overdone, either.
Old May 3, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
they can keep most 07s. (well just looked up Pontet. 93 its from Neil Martin. one of the wines of the vintage)

LB 03,05,06 would be nice too.

then again something with a little age is preferred. Saw a recent SQ menu with 02 Cos D'Estournel

other than the Krug, haven't been too excited by much of the offerings.

a sauternes would be a nice addition

regardless, I see a nice little wine tasting upcoming on my trip in 3 weeks

Last edited by jmw2323; May 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 6:14 pm

I wonder when they are going to serve Lynch Bages 2005. Last time I flew to HKG, I bought a couple of bottles of Krug vintage from the CX catalogue. The FA was so happy.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I wonder when they are going to serve Lynch Bages 2005. Last time I flew to HKG, I bought a couple of bottles of Krug vintage from the CX catalogue. The FA was so happy.
unfortunately i have seen 07 LB on some menus. no doubt they are on closeout as most stored didn't buy many 07s

RE: Krug, which vintage, 98? cost? if you don't mind
Old May 3, 2012, 8:39 pm

I forgot which year. I still have a bottle in my aunt's house in HK. It was over 150 and under 200

2004 is not a good year for bordeaux. 2005 and 2009 are.

I also found out that HK claim there is no tax on wine but Cristal price is 50% higher than New York. You can't even get Opus One. The wine store manager freaked when I mention the wine

Last edited by unfrequentflyer; May 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 9:16 pm

I forgot which year. I still have a bottle in my aunt's house in HK. It was over 150 and under 200

2004 is not a good year for bordeaux. 2005 and 2009 are.

I also found out that HK claim there is no tax on wine but Cristal price is 50% higher than New York. You can't even get Opus One. The wine store manager freaked when I mention the wine
04 is not a bad year. it's classic bordx. 07 is awful.

that's ok, I don't want Opus One.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:32 pm

Why? Opus One almost as good as Lafite but Lafite prices have been driven up by China lately.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:04 pm

Why? Opus One almost as good as Lafite but Lafite prices have been driven up by China lately.
Opus is an overpriced, overproduced, overhyped, cali bordx blend that rarely if ever gets the accolades from the wine press, auctions, reviewers, etc. They market very well. Kind of like verve clicquot. everyone has heard of it.

much better cali bordx/cab blends at or below that price point

hillside select
insignia
kapcsandy
schrader
maybach
araujo
etc.

however, drink what you like and don't worry about what anyone, including professional reviewers have to say. but comparing Opus to lafite is reaching.

i think we are a bit off topic at this point

Last edited by jmw2323; May 3, 2012 at 10:51 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I'm not sure what prices you're looking at, but in general 50% over NY prices would be a fool's price to pay in HK today. A quick search at one of the largest wine distributors in HK just turned up your Opus One 2007 for about $210 USD, which seems generally in-line with US retailers. It seems reasonable to expect at least some extra cost for the 6000 miles of transportation from Napa. http://www.altayawines.com/en/wineli...th=O&cat_id=28

There is indeed no import tax in HK for wine, beer and other low-alcohol spirits. The law passed in 2008, but it took some time for retailers like Watson's to pass the lower prices through to consumers. Because of their delay, a massive proliferation of distributors in HK occurred, and they quickly dominated the marketplace due to their lower prices (primarily selling via their websites). This transformation really took off in 2009 and continues through today. Myself and most other folks I know who buy wine here give an overwhelming amount of our business to those online distributors, some of whom have multi-million bottle storage facilities and have access to an excellent inventory (including Cristal, if you so desire).
Old May 3, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Why? Opus One almost as good as Lafite ....
I hope you are not serious in this comment.....
Old May 4, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Just flew in F from HKG-LAX yesterday and no more Lynch Bages... can't remember the name of the wine they replaced it with...
Old May 4, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by jmw2323
04 is not a bad year. it's classic bordx. 07 is awful.

that's ok, I don't want Opus One.
LB 2007 is truly awful... over extract over harvest ....

I did a horizontal tasting with some half bottles from enoteca and LB 2007 surely comes last

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.