Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying F in shorts?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Flying F in shorts?

Flying F from YVR-HKG in August on the 744 flight.

Will it be bad form to wear shorts on the flight to HKG? It will be dead middle of the Summer but will wear pants if it is that frowned upon.

This is vacation and not work as an FYI.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by apodo77

Will it be bad form to wear shorts on the flight to HKG? It will be dead middle of the Summer but will wear pants if it is that frowned upon.

Welcome to the CX forum. Isn't this question a bit off topic for this thread (about someone's first time in CX J class?)? Maybe the mods can help us move it somewhere more appropriate?

As for a dress code...I wear casual clothes all the time in F, and it seems most pax do too. Jeans, shorts, sandals, tee shirts, etc. I've worn them all without issue. Whatever's comfortable. Many pax in F change into CX's PJs once onboard anyway, so everyone is sitting around in pajamas - not exactly formalwear. Only place I ever had an issue was in the Wing F lounge a few years back, where an older gentleman asked the lounge attendant if they had properly policed the entrance, implying I was out of place and crashing the lounge (I indeed was in F that night, and am DM regardless). After their discussion a lounge attendant came over and checked my BP. A ridiculous episode but it was a one-off and entirely caused by a passenger who stereotyped me. I recall wearing sweat pants and a tee shirt that night (I prefer sleeping in my own sweats than the CX PJs), and I am on the younger side for people in the F lounge. I can't recall but I may have also been eating food I brought into the lounge from outside, maybe Popeyes or Burger King, which could have made him think I was out of place.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Flying used to be an intimate affair.. you dress up in your best clothes and look fresh for the part.. then came the american cheapie flights.. and then the backpackers.... that's ok. As long as you 're in the back...

For First Class travel, I wouldn't go in shorts. I mean you can wear anything you want, but i consider flying still a private matter. I would frown upon anyone wearing a tank top and shorts, slippers and all for I view that you are flying a space with other people about. If you're in your own private jet, sure go naked for all anyone cares. But in a cabin, best to wear something decent.

Besides the cabin can be a tad chilly. So dead in the middle of summer or not, cabin temperatures are regulated to be cooler. You may wear your jeans onto the aircraft and then change to shorts for sleeping inflight.. but some see shorts akin to undies. There are ladies about, thank you!

Some airlines once upon a time ago, like BA, would lightly suggest you put something on so as not to offend other passengers. I don't think CX would do that, but best you put on your best behaviour at least.

Its good manners, and it shows good upbringing and you will be treated as such. That's my take.
Try asking this on the BA forum and see what they say !!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
I flew on CX F once in golf shorts (with belt) and matching golf shirt (socks and tennis shoes, no spikes ) and they asked me was I coming or going in regards to the golf course They didn't mind, but I would never dress "less" than that when traveling...YMMV....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:27 pm

There are even people wearing pyjamas in F.... And they don't even bring their own.....
The only problem i can see is in case they put the aircon on high and it is cold inside the plane.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:37 pm

I wouldn't hesitate to wear shorts at all.

After all, they hand out pajamas. Clearly CX doesn't expect formal dress in the F cabin.

I think your behavior is a much more important than wearing pants.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For First Class travel, I wouldn't go in shorts.
But you would go in pyjamas?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
On a long haul flight I would always wear trousers, mainly due to the variable temperature on board, arrival in the early morning/departure late at night etc.

Hopping around Asia, I fly in shorts all the time, including in J. DECK SHOES though!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Always wear shorts if I am booked in First.

If booked in J and hoping for upgrade, I always dress smartly.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i would just wear whatever that i feel comfortable in public... i dont see why suitable tank tops are problematic... but of course if you're talking about boxer shorts that i wouldn't quite recommend.
Put it this way... whatever that's suitable in Y class would be ok in F.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77

I wish tourists could dress respectfully even in hot climes.

When walking in downtown Bangkok I never wear shorts or sandals. Nor at restaurants unless it's a very casual beach affair. Seeing guys in flip flop and surf shorts at the disco. I mean, do they think any classy chick is on a be attracted to them???

People going barefoot on planes is the worst though. Simply gross and just a show of poor class.

Wear beachwear on a vacation charter by all means. First class especially is supposed to evoke some glamour and sophistication. What would you be proving by dressing down inappropriately?

My 2 cents

Ps: I hardly wear suits so i am pretty casual myself
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Allvest
When walking in downtown Bangkok I never wear shorts or sandals.

(snip)

Wear beachwear on a vacation charter by all means. First class especially is supposed to evoke some glamour and sophistication. What would you be proving by dressing down inappropriately?

My 2 cents

Ps: I hardly wear suits so i am pretty casual myself
My 2 cents:

On point 1: I tried going outside in Bangkok in long pants in past years; once on a July and once on an October. I started sweating almost as soon as I headed outside. Soaked through both times. I'm not doing that again.

On the second point after the snip- on the other hand you could also argue that first class is spending a fortune on a significantly increased level of comfort. It's not proving anything so much as it is making for a more enjoyable experience. But that may be because I personally consider certain types of shorts to still be within the bounds of good taste.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamar
My 2 cents:

On point 1: I tried going outside in Bangkok in long pants in past years; once on a July and once on an October. I started sweating almost as soon as I headed outside. Soaked through both times. I'm not doing that again.

On the second point after the snip- on the other hand you could also argue that first class is spending a fortune on a significantly increased level of comfort. It's not proving anything so much as it is making for a more enjoyable experience. But that may be because I personally consider certain types of shorts to still be within the bounds of good taste.
Emphasis on certain type of shorts. Since there is no way to legislate taste lets keep it long!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cargo shorts, Havainas and a battered polo shirt is fine with me. No-one batted an eyelid last year when I dared to wear this in CX F. Dressing up is a sign of insecurity imho.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: FT
i am amazed people care what others think... and amazed others care enough to comment about what others should wear.... just as long as the are are not too loose fitting and you are not going commando...no need to scare the other pax...[actually, so what if they are...]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.