Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Horrible customer service at Asiamiles/MPO Desk at HKIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPO DM (OWE); UA *G (*A G), HHonors Gold; KLM/AF Flying Blue

Dear All,

Just want to rant on a horrible experience at the Asiamiles/MPO help desk at HKIA last night.

I was there asking about possible upgrade options on a return flight. I've never approached their desk previously in all my prior travels 'cos I've never had a problem calling their hotline. But as you know, with the systems migration, the entire call centre has gone kaputt and I don't even get to hear Robbie Williams anymore - just a busy tone.

Anyways, was there last night asking a very simple and genuine question, but all I got treated to was horrible attitude and got snapped at by the CX staff. Its ironic that it was only 1 or 2 days ago on Apple Daily did they interview CX ground staff and described how much training they've had in common courtesy and customer service.

Sigh - what has this airline come to?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk

Sigh - what has this airline come to?
Perhaps they're had a long day dealing with customers who demand too much?

But anyway, it is no excuse for them to behave that way. What were you asking by the way?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPO DM (OWE); UA *G (*A G), HHonors Gold; KLM/AF Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

But anyway, it is no excuse for them to behave that way. What were you asking by the way?
Was just asking whether I can upgrade to J on my return flight with Asiamiles. I gave her my MPO card to check my itinerary and she snapped at me and just said "don't give me the card, the card is useless - just give me the booking reference". She then ran it through the computer and just said "its all full". There was no further recommendation or offer of putting me onto a wait list.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
wrong thread

Last edited by phlashba; Mar 8, 2012 at 10:18 am Reason: deleted wrong thread
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
How did your flight turn out with the problem you were having with the ticket not being issued?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-issued-3.html
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

I suppose if you sign up to work in the service industry, then this is what you expect in a way - long day dealing with demanding customers.

There is no reason for the agent to be agressive or snapping at customers. Even if the customers are unreasonable, they still need to be polite and call their supervisors over if they cannot resolve it themselves. If they feel threatened, then call the cops or so.

I am not saying that customers are always right, but the airline business is mostly about service, and if the agent cannot handle the pressure that comes from handling customers, he or she might be in the wrong industry.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:32 pm

I can't wait for some apologists to come and say "there is nothing wrong with the communication, perhaps you are just too sensitive"...

But yeah, CX staff is really hit and miss nowadays. The fact that they had to re-emphasized good service only speaks volume to the problem. I have only used HKIA MPO desk twice and both times I've gotten "indifferent" service (I wasn't scold at but the lady at the desk was definitely as stoic as a stoic can be.) Nothing to complaint, but definitely didn't leave with the feeling that they care about you and wanted to help you in anyway they can.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by cloudeleven
How did your flight turn out with the problem you were having with the ticket not being issued?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-issued-3.html
I'm also interested to know as my ticket is not issued despite the booking was confirmed almost 3 wks ago
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk
Just want to rant on a horrible experience at the Asiamiles/MPO help desk at HKIA last night.

I was there asking about possible upgrade options on a return flight. I've never approached their desk previously in all my prior travels 'cos I've never had a problem calling their hotline.
Where is this legendary desk? I should see it for myself tonight (even tho I got a slightly tight office desk -- seat run of 90 minutes - my record is 60)

Being the public face (probably the only face) of the undermanned MPO redemption process, the person manning it has the worst job a ground agent can have. Probably retribution for some dreadful sin like sleeping with the ISM's boyfriend or something. This spot is like an gangpank on a pirate ship at sea...

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 9, 2012 at 1:47 am
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Where is this legendary desk? I should see it for myself tonight (even tho I got a slightly tight office desk -- seat run of 90 minutes - my record is 60)

Being the public face (probably the only face) of the undermanned MPO redemption process, the person manning it has the worst job a ground agent can have. Probably retribution for some dreadful sin like sleeping with the ISM's boyfriend or something. This spot is like an gangpank on a pirate ship at sea...
I get pay to sit at a desk that hardly anyone uses so I can do whatever I wanted all day long? Sounds like a coveted job rather than a banishment.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I get pay to sit at a desk that hardly anyone uses so I can do whatever I wanted all day long? Sounds like a coveted job rather than a banishment.
Really? I thought there'll be a Lady Gaga-length queue in front of it...MPOers camping out for days to use it cos they can't get connected to 2747 5500
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:57 am

Really? I thought there'll be a Lady Gaga-length queue in front of it...MPOers camping out for days to use it cos they can't get connected to 2747 5500
Oh ok, I didn't check lately. Just based on my past experience of always seeing empty. But yeah, I can imagine it being a zoo now.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Oh ok, I didn't check lately. Just based on my past experience of always seeing empty. But yeah, I can imagine it being a zoo now.
Not any zoo (<1 attractions).
More like Ocean Park...with the MPO ground agent starring as panda bear Jia Jia (佳佳).

Maybe 安安 is the (revenue) reservations service desk.

I'm imagining. I'll be at HKG in an hour. I'll take see if I've time to take pics.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:15 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Where's this desk anyway?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Where's this desk anyway?
If it hasn't moved, it's opposite the F check-in area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.