Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Upgrade Chances - YYZ-HKG-MNL-HKG-YYZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK M&S E, *A Gold, AP, Asia Miles, Nexus, Marriott Silver

Hey Flyertalkers!

My mom has booked a return trip to MNL via HKG on CX . Outbound is 12/09 while inbound is 12/31. She is on H and K classes. Would anyone have an idea of her upgrade chances? She is a Marcopolo Silver member and has already requested for an upgrade using her Asia Miles. Also, would her chances be better if my dad who has Marcopolo Gold request the upgrade for her? Thanks for all your help! Cheers
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
MPC Gold members can of course have a higher priority, but only being a DM can make a big difference.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
There's no real way to predict your chances. She's not going to get a freebie upgrade as a Christmas/New Year's gift from CX.

However the popular wisdom around here is that travel on those routes around Christmas time is a very good time for op-ups. Economy class will be completely full of Asian students and Filipino overseas workers going home for the holidays and elite members will overflow into J/F.

If she really wants to maximize her chances, the outbound should probably be closer to Christmas. And my gut feeling is that 12/31 would be a bad day to fly, since a lot of people will be staying put for the new year parties. January 1 or 2 will be much busier flight days (good for op-ups). I'm just guessing though.

Having your dad request the upgrade for her will make exactly zero difference. They will only consider her status, not his. Unless he's some sort of super VIP Hong Kong pop star or something.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by RevJim
There's no real way to predict your chances. She's not going to get a freebie upgrade as a Christmas/New Year's gift from CX.

However the popular wisdom around here is that travel on those routes around Christmas time is a very good time for op-ups. Economy class will be completely full of Asian students and Filipino overseas workers going home for the holidays and elite members will overflow into J/F.

If she really wants to maximize her chances, the outbound should probably be closer to Christmas. And my gut feeling is that 12/31 would be a bad day to fly, since a lot of people will be staying put for the new year parties. January 1 or 2 will be much busier flight days (good for op-ups). I'm just guessing though.

Having your dad request the upgrade for her will make exactly zero difference. They will only consider her status, not his. Unless he's some sort of super VIP Hong Kong pop star or something.
Something is going wrong with CX when we all assume "op-up" whenever we hear "upgrade" on this forum. It seems OP's mother is trying to do a paid (with miles) upgrade.

OP, the short answer is no one can know this early out. Though on a route with a reputation for a lot of leisure travel and not as much paid premium demand, your mother might stand a good chance. She'll certainly be ahead of Y pax of any status hoping just for a free op-up.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Something is going wrong with CX when we all assume "op-up" whenever we hear "upgrade" on this forum. It seems OP's mother is trying to do a paid (with miles) upgrade.
D'oh, oops. You are correct, I have op-ups on the brain. My bad!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:21 pm

I had fly that route before. YYZ-HKG J was quite packed
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82

OP, the short answer is no one can know this early out. Though on a route with a reputation for a lot of leisure travel and not as much paid premium demand, your mother might stand a good chance. She'll certainly be ahead of Y pax of any status hoping just for a free op-up.
Given the belief that airlines get 10% of full cost for award tix, giving tix for miles is almost as painful as op-up for CX.

Redeemed upgrades is slightly better than whole award for CX as CX will get revenue for the (expensive) economy fare, but it's essentially getting next to naught for the upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Nowadays with the flights halved from 2x daily to daily (From Sept 16th) and the much smaller J cabin, J class on YYZ route is actually quite busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.