Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sxc
Wiki Link
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 17, 13, 10:04 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
That's the first time I heard of free magazines at Page One.

Hmm....will try to use it in 2 days
Old Jun 17, 13, 10:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
But seriously, I can't remember how long ago is it since I've physically swiped the DBS Black.

No earn promos...

一講曹操,曹操就到/speaking of the devil

http://www.esdlife.com/soloemail/dbs.../en/index.html

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 17, 13 at 10:20 pm
Old Jun 17, 13, 10:23 pm

It seems not many people are too keen to buy miles @ HK$0.063/mile. They're adding $50 sweetener to the offer
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=10379&p=11
http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...f_16298_tc.pdf

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 18, 13 at 9:06 am
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:20 pm

Programs: CX MP GR =(
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
一講曹操,曹操就到/speaking of the devil

http://www.esdlife.com/soloemail/dbs.../en/index.html
nothing exciting about that offer (since I just came back from BKK)
and the 10% bonus isn't much either
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:41 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Cdubbyou View Post
hi all,

Love the passion of this thread - It's great to see everyone is willing to share how best to maximise Asia Miles.

I will be relocating to HK soon and would like someone to recommend a credit card for me. I will be earning roughly 60K a month and do not currently have any HSBC HK or Citibank HK accounts. Furthermore, I am not a Cathay Asian Miles member, but I believe there could be some welcome benefits if I join as a new member along with my new credit card.

I am a CitiGold member in Australia, but do not know whether this will be beneficial to me if I continue to bank with Citibank HK.

Please recommend a credit card for me.

thanks in advance.
Just as a general recommendation - I do not recommend you do your normal banking with HSBC. They are very bureaucratic when you need something done - you have to always go into the branch rather than dealing with them over the phone. They also require you to use a physical dongle to do certain tasks over the internet. They also operate their own ATM network in HK (not connected to Jetco) which means there are always longer queues at their machines whereas Jetco machines (the network most other banks operate on) have much shorter queues with a greater choice of locations.

Citibank allows fee-free withdrawals when you travel overseas. Since you are from Australia, I think you will find this very valuable.
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:50 pm

Sxc - all you said about HSBC is true. I won't want them for primary banker.

Yet for cheapo merchants (the cheapest kind - doesn't even take cash and certainly won't take any cards - theatre companies, kindergartens and some el cheapo furniture cos) and transferring funds to friends, HSBC internet transfer is the must-have clearing system that everyone has access to.

Citi nominally doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals bu the rate it uses is fxcked http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5103 - so what I do is to withdraw large amounts thru Unionpay (fixed fee $15, but good rates) and top up with Citi (2-3% above Visa rates but no fixed fee)

I've just cut Citi so I can churn their Citi-At-Work offer. But Citi is actually a pleasant bank to deal with for day-to-day banking...many problems like resetting internet banking passwords and replacing ATM cards can be done over the phone.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 18, 13 at 5:25 am
Old Jun 18, 13, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82 View Post
The Citi Rewards card has a very enticing welcome offer, if you can meet the spending target in the first couple months (shouldn't be hard if you have expenses related to your move): 200,000 rewards points, which works out to about 13,000 AsiaMiles. After that you can use this card for grocery shopping, department stores and autopay on your mobile phone bill to earn at 1 mile per $3 on those charges. I think the charge to convert points to miles is something like $50 for every 5000 miles or part thereof.
DBS Black, Premiermiles and the Fubon have ongoing welcome offers - see post #2. HSBC has one from time to time. WLB does not.

If he's a complete Citi virgin and has a bucketload of spending, he might try applying for the simultaenous Citi application trick

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-13.html#182
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=7980 #3

Apply 3 Citi Rewards cards plus Premiermiles, all on the same day
Spend $12,000 x 3 + $10,000 = $46,000
Get 13,333 x 3 + 8,000 = 48,000AM
Rate: <$1/mile

It's said to have worked in the past (see above) but I'm not 100% sure now.
I'm hoping someone will try it out before I reaplly Citi at the end of the year!

There's also the 20K for 20K offer svellman mentioned for Premiermiles alone at MK/CWB/Central branches. I don't know how long it goes for, and don't know you can have the simultaneous welcome offer with that.
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:14 am

percysmith - I have yet to register for the BankComm new 3 phase promo. Is the quota already exceeded for the first phase (21 May-20 June)?

I realized that my spending during this period has already exceeded at least HK$10k, so, I am quite tempted to register, even though I am relocating from HKG at the end of next week. Still, I will come back quite regularly since I still have some deals to be concluded here.
Old Jun 18, 13, 8:46 am

Just registered my card for the BankComm Promo under Target Spending #3.

The registration number is:
02355 for Phase 1
00831 for Phase 2
00777 for Phase 3

These numbers seem to be larger than the quota (700 for Target Spending 3). So, does that mean that I don't qualify for this promo after all?
Old Jun 18, 13, 9:32 am

Sorry I posted the wrong link to to updated Bankcomm flyer...this is the correct one

http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...f_16298_tc.pdf

2355 registration: well I won't be too surprised Bankcomm allowed more than its stated number of registrations...it did for 13X I recall.
Old Jun 18, 13, 9:41 am

I didnt register initially as I saw the wrong penalty for not meeting the target spending....sigh.
Old Jun 18, 13, 10:00 am

Milesbuzz: I mean you weren't too late. Your registration is valid.
Old Jun 25, 13, 6:41 am

Are all credit cards in hk need to wait 1 year after canceling to get the welcome offer if you apply again?
Old Jun 25, 13, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by alan945 View Post
Are all credit cards in hk need to wait 1 year after canceling to get the welcome offer if you apply again?
Some are 6 (e.g. Fubon, CCB). The others are 12 for now.

In any case I do seriously recommend you locate the former cardholder ineligible term and read it out loud before signing on the dotted line. Do not rely on generalisations to cut corners.

BTW some apply to the supplementary cardholders too (again e.g. Fubon).
Old Jun 26, 13, 4:17 am

Is it legit?

1) Use CCB Eye to book hotel online (Basic 1x + Eye 4x + Eye Bonus 8x + Oversea Basic 2x + Oversea Bonus 10 x) = 25x

2) I asked CS, they said Eye can't join that Instant Travel Club? She insisted~

3) We can combine the points in all CCB credit cards to redeem Asia Miles and we only need to play the service charge 1 time only. Not paying separately.

Anyone? Thanks~

Search this Thread
Search Engine: