Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Citibanking 15K AM for payroll, additional 7K for Citigold 500K deposit 18 Apr-30 Jun

http://www.citibank.com.hk/english/b...cmp=E-BK-CPAYA

Not strictly a credit card offer, but those of us who are eligible to apply for HK credit cards are likely to have HK payroll that can be moved over to Citi

Unlike previous Citi-At-Work cash rebate offers, payroll must be deposited via autopay or standing instruction only. Tho Citi has free T+3 Electronic Clearing transfer to other banks.

And Citi also has some recent history for not honoring offers:
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=9774&p=11 #108
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=9351

Play this offer at your own risk. For payroll offers, at least a follow up call is often necessary before Citi will actually rebate/award.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Quick (historical?) question: Do overseas AmEx or HK Citi Rewards have any history doing bonuses on conversions to AsiaMiles?

I know the Citi PremierMiles card has an 8% bonus going at the moment. And Membership Rewards has been known to do fairly generous bonuses for conversions to BA Avios. Any chance of anything similar ever popping up for AsiaMiles, though?

To be clear, I'm talking about U.S. Membership Rewards and the HK Citi Rewards programs here.

Thanks everyone. This thread has turned out to be the single most useful thing I've ever read on FT, and I'm kicking myself for not having sifted through it a lot sooner!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:55 pm

CrazyJ82

No information on Amex US redemption

No history of Citi Rewards HK redemption promo

Besides Citi on Premiermiles, the only bank I can redemember doing redemption promo on AM is DBS (of course CX did a 30% AM to ticket redemption promo last month). Any other promo I might have forgotten to consider?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I'm reconsidering whether the Citibank Premiermiles 8% bonus is worth it. I have quite a few points there. Converting it will mean that those Asia Miles will expire in 3-4 years' time, whereas there's no expiry date for points kept in the Citibank system. I think I have around 2-3 million points in my Premiermiles account

Let's say I convert 200,000 Asiamiles .... I'll only get 16,000 bonus, which is only a HKG-TPE round trip in Y (plus 1,000 spare). And there's the risk of not being able to use up those 216,000 Asiamiles within the next 3 years.

I already have lots of Asiamiles from regular Standard Chartered top-ups (I use cash top-up to redeem 99,000 Asiamiles every 4-5 months, so that's already 200,000-300,000 Asiamiles a year, which isn't easy to use when I only redeem for long haul J trips 1-2 times a year).

Is my reasoning correct? Any ideas on the Premiermiles bonus?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
You could keep it there. Alternatively, you can take advantage of the bonus and stop using the cash top up for 1-2x this year.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:19 am

Citibank done a marvelous job.
I called Citibank on Apr 27 3am something for urgent AM transfer.
By Apr 28 night, the points were already sitting at my AM a/c!

Meanwhile, I'm still awaiting HSBC's transfer (made on Apr 24)
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by woresu
Citibank done a marvelous job.
I called Citibank on Apr 27 3am something for urgent AM transfer.
By Apr 28 night, the points were already sitting at my AM a/c!

Meanwhile, I'm still awaiting HSBC's transfer (made on Apr 24)
citibank is *fast*

you should get the HSBC ones at the end of this week...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
New CX Amex offer?

Just got an email about it, but didn't yet see it on the website so not sure if it's targeted:

Spend HKD15,000 per month in May, June and/or July and earn 1000 bonus AM for each month you hit the target. Spend HKD15,000 in each of the three months, and there's another 2000 bonus miles.

By my math, this works out to a local earn rate of $5.21 per mile and overseas of $3.15 per mile if you meet but do not exceed the target in a month. Since the bonus is fixed, though, the rate deteriorates the more you spend (at $16,000 per month it's $5.33 per mile etc). Their promotional materials put it down to $4.3 and $2.8 respectively if you go for all three months, which again assumes you spend $15k but no more per month.

I'm unlikely to take advantage of this since I don't see myself hitting that level of spending in those months (no major purchases on the horizon). And it would take more of a math whiz than I am to figure out: If your aggregate monthly spending >$15k, but you're splitting that between cards to get the good Citi earn rates on groceries and HSBC on a selected category, would it still make sense to switch everything onto the AmEx during the promotion.

Last edited by CrazyJ82; Apr 29, 2013 at 6:00 am Reason: More math
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:00 am

CrazyJ82 - my thoughts exactly. Rate too low to make it the spending tracking interesting.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Any suggestions for Canadian's?

We are just beginning to collect Aisa Miles as we will have Cathay Marco Polo Gold status for both my wife and myself. What credit cards in Canada transfer?

Any promos available for CDN's right now? We are doing a RTW ticket with a few segments on CX
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Misnerfamily
We are just beginning to collect Aisa Miles as we will have Cathay Marco Polo Gold status for both my wife and myself. What credit cards in Canada transfer?

Any promos available for CDN's right now? We are doing a RTW ticket with a few segments on CX
Is this GO with Amex Plat Charge?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:35 am

Percy

Yes, Percy with MR Plat Card. I know this upsets current holders by diluting. I would be upset myself if I had earned the normal way. The strange thing is that we have several flights over the next year that will be on CX and some future flights too that otherwise would have been on another carrier so maybe it works for them. Regardless, we are thankful for the benefit.

Originally Posted by percysmith
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: MPC GR, GC Jade, OZ DM, MVP GO, AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by percysmith
AMEX Plat in Canada still gets the GO offer. ^
Originally Posted by Misnerfamily

In Canada RBC Plat Avion/Infinite Avion or RBC CX Visa.

CX Visa gets your $1 for 1 mile and double miles if you book CX tickets via the website.
RBC Avion is $1 to 1 Miles and option to transfers to BA or CX or keep it under RBC rewards until you actually the miles then transfer into the program. (This way no expire date on the miles)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:12 pm

Great

Great info,

I will look into the RBC Avion. I wish I could book our RTW tickets with CX but our first leg is on AF (Finnair) - so probably wouldn't work.

Kevin

Originally Posted by iscor3
AMEX Plat in Canada still gets the GO offer. ^

In Canada RBC Plat Avion/Infinite Avion or RBC CX Visa.

CX Visa gets your $1 for 1 mile and double miles if you book CX tickets via the website.
RBC Avion is $1 to 1 Miles and option to transfers to BA or CX or keep it under RBC rewards until you actually the miles then transfer into the program. (This way no expire date on the miles)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:05 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Surprising to find Amex Canada is not an AM partner, even tho it gives out GOs. Amex Australia (another GO giver) is, and is a reasonable way to earn AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.