Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=8690&p=47

Unfreeze - if you're frozen, make sure you unfreeze the sub as well. Shacom froze the sub, making me miss out earning 6X on $2,960 transaction as my sub-holding parent "simply reached for another card" - a stupid Amex. Dammit dammit!!

Bank CS admitted it was their error and apologised - they should have unlocked both cards after they made me acknowledge I only have 1X limit last night. But too late for me to fix the $2,960 purchase now.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:21 am
Suspended

percysmith, am I doing the math right? With HSBC's new promotion....each oversea HKD $0.90 spent = 1 Asia Mile?

Sounds too good to be true
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:51 am

HSBC extra 12.5X ($1.23/mile) on overseas spending to 15 Apr 2013

Originally Posted by percysmith
http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom228
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=9147
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=9156

Physical card spending only ("original sales slip" required)
Not eligible on CUP, JCB, ican or the USD Visa
Cap at first $4,000 only ($6,000 for HSBC Premier, Advance, Platinum Visa and Green - thanks Kaka)

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=9809
https://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom228

CanucksHKG - it's just prom228 again for 6 more weeks starting last Friday
Sorry I forgot to cross post this - I keep remembering I should and then thinking I've already did. I checked the last few days' posts and finally realised I didn't.

But you're mistaken about the earn rate - it's $1.23 per mile.
The only way you can get $0.9 per mile is if and only if your HSBC 6X (extra 5X) is selected as overseas spending (or China spending if spending in China on Visa/MC but not Unionpay) --> 12.5 + 6 = 18.5X --> 277.5AM/$250 --> 0.9/mile. I don't think the majority of us have 6X set to overseas.

The last prom228 caused me to spend half an hour at St Regis Shenzhen trying to get a DCC charge reversed...the only travelling I'm doing in the promo period is Thailand for Easter where I don't think the Sheraton will lock me into DCC against my will.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
percysmith, am I doing the math right? With HSBC's new promotion....each oversea HKD $0.90 spent = 1 Asia Mile?

Sounds too good to be true
Is there not a ceiling?
How much is it?
Thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:17 am
Suspended

Thanks!

I do have the 6X set to Oversea spending (I'm in HK less than ~60 days a year )
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is there not a ceiling?
How much is it?
Thank you.
Cap at $300 RC (4500 AM) for Premier/Plat or $200RC (3000 AM) for others.

Which is only spending a little bit more than $520 USD. But still can't complaint~
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:25 am

I see these posts about dcc here all the time. Is it right that the hsbc cards often convert to HK currency and one has to be careful?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I see these posts about dcc here all the time. Is it right that the hsbc cards often convert to HK currency and one has to be careful?
its the merchant (usually PRC, but percysmith and myself have had a fair share of experience in Harrods, and I've had a good time in MO Macau AND Europcar Toulouse) or the bank that does things to visas or MC... (hence AMEX is usually safe)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
i. (to 30 Apr 13) HSBC - 1 mile per $1.10 spent (1 mile per 0.90 if overseas category chosen) ($300 fee for a year's worth of redemptions)
I think it's only until 15 April for this promotion. End of the month is the part about designated travel merchants.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:22 am

It's not HSBC - it's Visa/MC and the country you're travelling to. Mainland China's merchant banks are the most egregious, unremorseful and unconstrained practioners of DCC (essentially they don't see they need to give travellers a choice and treat DCC booty as if legitimate surcharge borne by travellers for the privilege of using their Visa/MC cards in the mainland).

It does not help that PRC is trying to promote Unionpay (and those who play ball with it like Discover) over Visa so they will definitely turn a blind eye to merchant bank abusive practices.

Some even export their malware to Hong Kong and Macau (BoC).

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 5, 2013 at 2:34 am
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:35 am

Citi deny 30X on Apple Store in-store transactions, despite initially awarding 5X

Updated Citi Rewards supermarket/dept store/telco promo - 30X on each Wed to 31 Dec
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=7724
https://www.citibank.com.hk/form/car...s/eng/tnc.html

Supplement to existing 5X on those three categories.
Applicable for remaining Wednesdays this year only.

30X @ $15/mile = $0.5/mile
Max extra 25X points = 50,000pts/month so monthly cap is $2,000 (for 4,000 miles).
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=9774&p=8 #30

Long story short

- Apple Store in-store terminals (IFC, Festival Walk, Hysan Place) were coded to Merchant Category Code 4812 Telecommunications Equipment including telephone sales

- MCC 4812 is a Telecommunications Category (confirmed by no less than 3 CS agents tonight)

- The promotion awarded "normal" 5X on Telecommunications merchants first, and 25X later (this week).

- In every statement period between October and December, Citi Reward cardholders were seeing 5X earning on Apple Stores in-store purchases (there might have been postings earlier, but no-one really wanted to spend in Apple Store til the iPhone5s began to be available for reservation)

- 25X was awarded on 5 Mar. Cardholders noticed their Apple purchases were excluded from promo (jokelib, uncle sam, andyciu among others)

- T&C explicitly says MCC is the key determinator of whether a transaction is qualified or not. It is apparent Citi has chosen to ignore its T&C with Apple Store and excluding Apple Store by name, not thinking ever that Apple Store might have a telecommunications coding.

Max earn for this offer was $2,000 a month. Given 3 months of real trading and awarding of previous 5X, cardholders are missing 10,000AM/card held (can have maximum of 3 Citi Rewards Cards)
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:00 pm

HSBC Asia Miles Conversion Time

Hey Percy or anyone who knows about this:

I just requested the Asia Miles Conversion and input the data via internet already. The customer service officer says I need to wait 4-6 weeks to the miles? What is going on? But you said it only took you 8 days to get the miles?

Please help.

By the way, DBS black card doesn't allow me to transfer to someone else Asia Miles account :-(

I am working on Citibank...hopefully they will let me to do it~
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by host2087
Hey Percy or anyone who knows about this:

I just requested the Asia Miles Conversion and input the data via internet already. The customer service officer says I need to wait 4-6 weeks to the miles? What is going on? But you said it only took you 8 days to get the miles?
8 calendar days for first enrolment and 2 working days thereafter

Case in point - I just transferred the remainder of my RC on Thursday night, got credited Monday night. I'm staying out of RC transfer for two years.

Every bank says 4-6 weeks. You aren't likely going to transfer your card spending to other card simply because they offer faster transfer so all banks underpromise here.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by host2087
By the way, DBS black card doesn't allow me to transfer to someone else Asia Miles account :-(

I am working on Citibank...hopefully they will let me to do it~
DBS - Did you do this online or fax?

Citibank - pls keep me updated, never really tried it.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:25 pm

DBS - Did you do this online or fax?

Citibank - pls keep me updated, never really tried it.
For DBS.....I called the hotline directly and give them my friend AM account number and full name... then the staff said I can't transfer to someone else account.

I can't do this online, as the redemption rate only shown for those normal DBS card which needs you to pay DBS$60 to get 1000 miles..... so I need to call DBS directly.

If I fax them the form, would it be OK? Assume that ---> they don't check the name, so they can transfer the miles to my friend's account?

I really want the miles for this month redemption discount on Asia Miles 30% off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.