Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by twonga
Would anyone know of any earn strategies when moving house? Agent Fees, solicitors fees and the big killer - Stamp duty!
Well I don't know of any agents who will take card. On day of signature of provisional sale and purchase agreement don't you have to hand over a cheque?

Stamp duty - how do you get the shroff number? Unless (through your agent) you have access to e-stamp http://www.ird.gov.hk/eng/tax/e_stamp.htm#a2 and can get a shroff number from that.

Paying 600K stamp duty on a 8M flat may yield you 36K miles. Tho I really haven't heard of anyone who did

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 18, 2014 at 4:51 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Anyone still looking for a fifth for a HSBC redhot group? Please PM me! Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Rehash of the Jul-Aug overseas promo

https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...ial-promotion/

5 extra RC/$100 overseas spending
Max 400RC ($8,000 spend) (500RC ($10,000 spend) for Premier cardholders)

So for 500 spend you get 27RC --> 405 miles --> $1.23/mile

Min $500, must have sales slip
8228 1618 to register
Hi Percysmith,

For this one, do we need to spread it over different weeks? Or there is simply a cap of HK 10000 for Premier members? Thank you.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:15 am

Overall cap. On the last one I spent the 10k all in one go splitting a 2xxK yen banqueting bill.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:06 am

30,000 Prestige renewal offer made officical

(thanks LchChester) http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=10062&p=62 #616
http://www.citibank.com.hk/english/c...TLPrestigeCard

Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Overall cap. On the last one I spent the 10k all in one go splitting a 2xxK yen banqueting bill.
Thank you.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:26 pm

A Citi CS claimed to me last week that Citi will pass 0.8% on its Mastercards. But Citi CS advice are not worth the spit I spit out during the call.
Originally Posted by theworld
Pretty much sums up HK's awesome consumer laws really. CCB clearly states in their terms that they will charge, but in reality they don't. Citi don't mention it in their charges, but in reality claim they charge. I guess with CCB they could without any warning start charging (as its clearly in their terms).

All citi says is the following:

"Note: Customers may sometimes be offered the option of settling foreign currency transactions in Hong Kong dollars outside of Hong Kong or with online merchants located overseas. Such an option is a direct arrangement offered by the overseas merchants and not the card issuer. In such cases, customers are reminded to ask the merchants for the foreign currency exchange rates and the percentage of handling fees to be applied before the transactions are entered into since settling foreign currency transactions in Hong Kong dollars may involve a cost higher than the foreign currency transaction handling fee."
Alright, we owe it to Citi to clarify they don't. On my Citi Prestige:

12/18/2014 *ITUNES.COM/BILL ITUNES.COM LU HKD 15.00
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:25 pm

Merry Christmas folks! Remember to use your BEA Flyer Worlds for 24-25 Dec dining <=$500 ($0.88/mile) and Bankcomms for 24-26 Dec for <$500 dining ($1.2/mile)
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Merry Christmas folks!
Thanks, Merry Christmas to you too, thanks for all the help even if I don't understand everything right away !
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Merry Christmas folks! Remember to use your BEA Flyer Worlds for 24-25 Dec dining <=$500 ($0.88/mile) and Bankcomms for 24-26 Dec for <$500 dining ($1.2/mile)
Cheers, mate. Happy holidays! (PS: do we have to sign up for the Bankcomm thing?)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:43 am

(the $10,000 was a reference to HSBC Red Hot Travel Special 8 Apr-11 May)

Further problems yesterday.
I got to see my missus use the Fubon card in front of me. It's an old-style Fubon Plat Visa
The account is definitely OK - we checked out on her card with card reader.

Pharmacy in Sapporo station - magstripe reader only - Fubon Plat Visa no go. Missus paid with CCB.

The most interesting is gas station near CTS where we filled up our rental prior to return. Again magstripe reader only - missus' Fubon Plat Visa no go, but my *new* Fubon Plat MC worked.

I didn't plan to declare this month as a 8X month, I might need 8X for Christmas so missus did as many transactions as she could.

Also, on a side trip to Korea, my Fubon Plat MC worked with every card terminal used. Korea is magstripe only.
Grrr...I didn't experience this on my last trip but both new Fubon Plat Visa (my wife) and new Fubon Plat MasterCard (me) are fxcked in Japan magstripe terminals.

(My wife had her Visa replaced since our last trip. Both our cards are May 2014 or later)

Places where magstripe worked: supermarket in mall (cashier had to try more than once). Vans outlet.

Places where magstripe didn't work: 7-eleven in two locations in Hokkaido, airport restaurant

Used BEA Flyer World as fallback (BEA has better rate but there are some online transactions I may have to do).

I don't know whether to replace or not. Two cards to fail simultaneously - is there a fix or is this life with Fubon?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:45 am
McM

Programs: Asia Miles
Merry Christmas to you as well and everyone else!

I echo trashn
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:28 am

Sorry, that was my first post and it seems I am not uploading the image file correctly ! If anyone can advise how to upload photos from a PC, please PM me. Thx.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:25 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
In order to clean up mega-threads which cause admin problems, this thread has been closed. Please continue discussion at this thread for 2015:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-2015-a-2.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.