Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:51 pm

Thank God for percysmith. Also just saw your signature... Hahaha that's the exact question I've been wondering about the last 2 days
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:32 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
BEA $0.88/mile dining 24-25 Dec and $1.33/mile overseas 13-31 Dec

Thanks LCH.Chester http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=13596
http://www.hkbea.com/html/en/bea-cre...ffer-xmas.html

(Remember after the 30 June changes, only Flyer World and BEA SupremeGold World earns miles now)

Offer 1 Dining:
Min spend: $500 per transaction
Max spend: $3,125

Offer 2 Overseas:
No min spend
Max spend: $10,000$8,000

I'm wondering should I do Offer 2 for Christmas and save HSBC overseas for Chinese New Year now.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 30, 2014 at 1:31 am
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:55 pm

Bank of Communications

Dear Percysmith,

Do you know why Bank of Communications hasn't announced any bonus points promotions yet? As far as I know, they had one running for 3 months last year and the year before last year as well.

Best,

Tim

Originally Posted by percysmith
Thanks LCH.Chester http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=13596
http://www.hkbea.com/html/en/bea-cre...ffer-xmas.html

(Remember after the 30 June changes, only Flyer World and BEA SupremeGold World earns miles now)

Offer 1 Dining:
Min spend: $500 per transaction
Max spend: $3,125

Offer 2 Overseas:
No min spend
Max spend: $10,000

I'm wondering should I do Offer 2 for Christmas and save HSBC overseas for Chinese New Year now.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: CX SL
HSBC Red Hot Winter Shop-together Rewards 1 Dec-28 Feb 15

So I have my group of 4 set and I want to add one more.

I know I am limited to register only one card under my HKID.
However, can I add my mother's HSBC card (different HKID obviously) who is just a supplementary cardholder of mine?

My understanding of the T&C is that I can add a supplementary card, because they count one registration per HKID cardholder. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:53 am

Sheun - think you're right. It's only clause 2 and 23 https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...nd-conditions/ - additional cardholders (who are mostly combined-type cardholders by now) register separately.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Timothy Lin
Dear Percysmith,

Do you know why Bank of Communications hasn't announced any bonus points promotions yet? As far as I know, they had one running for 3 months last year and the year before last year as well.

Best,

Tim
They're still on the final days of the crummy (but I did take it up to cover Oct-Nov spending) 2% promo. Watch this space after 15/12.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:53 am

How to maximise miles earn for a banquet?

I get this one quite a lot, both here and hongkongcard.com.

Or even offline - next to our table for dinner tonight we were able to overhear the table next to us discuss getting 1% on 200K banquet spending. After they left the missus looked at me and asked "well they can certainly do a lot better than that?".

The relevant MCCs are 5812 (restaurants), 5813 (bars) and 5814 (fast food).

Here's some of the answers I've made before:

- "if mainland/overseas, it doesn't matter what the merchant category is, go for HSBC 6X mainland spending/overseas spending."

- "can you make a deposit and find the DCC? And have you enrolled into HSBC 6X? If you haven't yet make it dining"

In respect of local dining, I also have the following experiences personally/making payments for others:

- stand alone restaurants are almost certainly dining

- even dedicated banqueting venues like U-Banquet are dining

- hotel restaurants have the same coding for meal or banquet, which may end up as 3509 for Visa/Mastercard or 5812 for Unionpay (Man Ho).

But what about a banquet thrown in a hotel?

Turns out to be MCC 5812 Dining per HSBC. Confirmed twice.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:07 pm

How to maximise miles earn for hospital?

This is the second most-frequent question I get. I am cheeky enough to say it's an inevitable follow-on from the above.

Unfortunately no dedicated spend category covers hospital spending, so we can only think in terms of general spending promos such as CCB Summer Reward, CCB 939 and/or Bankcomm 8X.

Or worse case, bring your Worldmiles out.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:34 pm

1. Page One free magazine of value <=$15

2. AE is useful at times such as a. avoiding DCC and b. (weird) making online payments in Thailand (many Thai online payment portals require use of SecureCode, Citi Prestige doesn't have that).

3. Enjoying Amex Select promos e.g. 10% off of Siam Kempinski lunch a fortnight ago
I'm also in a similar boat, got myself a Citi Prestige (as well as DBS Black AE & MC).

I presume I can cancel the DBS Black AE, but maybe keep the MC?

Also, just want to check, just looked at the Citi charges etc and I don't seem to see them make reference to getting charged for making HKD purchases from abroad, or am I missing something?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:31 pm

Bankcomm extended their cash rebate-only promo to 14/3/15

Btw crap news from Bankcomm - they've just released a 2% cash rebate offer from sep to dec - meaning no 8x miles offer or the like for the rest of the year http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=12966
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=13616

"Actually I'm not so much interested in an extension. Rather I was really praying for a $35,715 8X-like promo and seems my prayers have not been answered. I confirmed a points promo is not forthcoming."
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:42 pm

CCB eye card 5x extended to 31 Dec 2015

Online/paywave/instalment 5x extended to 31/12/2014.http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/per...p_rewards.html
CCB eye 5X online/paywave/instalment 5x extended to 31/12/2015 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=8779&p=23

This extension is a godsend because there is no other ongoing promo for local online spending.

Also CCB does not charge cross-border fee for its Visas in practice despite listing the fee in its T&Cs.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by theworld
I'm also in a similar boat, got myself a Citi Prestige (as well as DBS Black AE & MC).

I presume I can cancel the DBS Black AE, but maybe keep the MC?
Yes but what's the point? Not going to be able to churn the Black AE for renewal offer. Plus there are some places where an AE is handy (a $4/mile earning card at a DCC location). I'm keeping mine.

Originally Posted by theworld
Also, just want to check, just looked at the Citi charges etc and I don't seem to see them make reference to getting charged for making HKD purchases from abroad, or am I missing something?
A Citi CS claimed to me last week that Citi will pass 0.8% on its Mastercards. But Citi CS advice are not worth the spit I spit out during the call.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 14, 2014 at 10:04 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:13 pm

Pretty much sums up HK's awesome consumer laws really. CCB clearly states in their terms that they will charge, but in reality they don't. Citi don't mention it in their charges, but in reality claim they charge. I guess with CCB they could without any warning start charging (as its clearly in their terms).

All citi says is the following:

"Note: Customers may sometimes be offered the option of settling foreign currency transactions in Hong Kong dollars outside of Hong Kong or with online merchants located overseas. Such an option is a direct arrangement offered by the overseas merchants and not the card issuer. In such cases, customers are reminded to ask the merchants for the foreign currency exchange rates and the percentage of handling fees to be applied before the transactions are entered into since settling foreign currency transactions in Hong Kong dollars may involve a cost higher than the foreign currency transaction handling fee."
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
1. [to 31 Dec 15] (if online) CCB HK eye Card - 1 mile per $3 ($50 per 5,000 miles AM min $100)
How do CCB points work - are they only transferrable to AM, or other schemes too?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Question

Rehash of the Jul-Aug overseas promo

https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...ial-promotion/

5 extra RC/$100 overseas spending
Max 400RC ($8,000 spend) (500RC ($10,000 spend) for Premier cardholders)

So for 500 spend you get 27RC --> 405 miles --> $1.23/mile

Min $500, must have sales slip
8228 1618 to register
If I understand correctly for the rest of the HSBC cards it's $4,000 maximun spend ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.