Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 15, 5:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: sxc
Wiki Link
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 19, 14, 9:13 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
http://www.shacombank.com.hk/bankscb...14_leaflet.pdf
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=13390

The $4/mile seems to have min spend
$0.8/mile requires $600 min spend

Max extra points 50,000 pts (6,250 miles) <-- with a limit, it's harder for them to claim abnormality.

The only other observation I would make is that they've excluded Unionpay from the promo, so if you're going to a hotel that codes its restaurants under its own MCC including (no means exhaustive) Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Shangri-La, Holiday Inn and Icon, you can forget about this promo and use Bankcomm instead.
should i use this offer if the restaurant is counted as the hotel itself on the monthly bill?
e.g: city garden hotel
Old Nov 19, 14, 9:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
I think local chains are like City Garden are fine http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=9135&p=6

But I have no experience with City Garden myself . I would charge it, and try and call Shacom 2818 8236 before leaving the restaurant to have them confirm the MCC. Void and charge to another card if not 5812.

I kinda miss their call centre, was one of the better ones. May get a little hard to get through during busy hours but definitely nothing like calling HSBC CS non-Premier these days.
Old Nov 19, 14, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Spoke with the sales today, basically he apologized non stop and said he screwed up... he didn't realize applying for the cards separately disqualified me. I had a feeling he didn't want to get his supervisor involved, so he offered to give me $600 in vouchers as "compensation" lol...it's not even close to 2 free nights in Bangkok but I don't know how to push for it anymore.

Sigh... I've never been to Thailand so I had been quite looking forward to this. Guess it was too good to be true.
I usually speak with the CS directly and skip the sales. Telling CS directly that you were told that you are entitled to both. (Call 2860-0360, choose language and press "#" a few times after their advertisement and you will be directed to CS immediately, dont bother to key in your card number even if you have one)

Btw, dont have too high expectation on the resort. I remember reading somewhere that the resort is not that great.
Old Nov 19, 14, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Spoke with the sales today, basically he apologized non stop and said he screwed up... he didn't realize applying for the cards separately disqualified me. I had a feeling he didn't want to get his supervisor involved, so he offered to give me $600 in vouchers as "compensation" lol...it's not even close to 2 free nights in Bangkok but I don't know how to push for it anymore.

Sigh... I've never been to Thailand so I had been quite looking forward to this. Guess it was too good to be true.
Oh. I missed this reply.

Actually I would take the $600 voucher over Anantara - after you've read this posts #2120 and #2121 .

And then book into a hotel/resort where they don't have property to sell.

I just didn't reference those posts at first as I don't want to apologise for Citi by saying the gifts were crap anyway. If Aquitane made a simultaneous application it is for Citi to issue him/her with the hotel voucher. It is then her decision to whether to be sold at or not.
Old Nov 20, 14, 3:45 am

Programs: CX MP GR =(
Not AsiaMiles but just to put it out there as reference.
Just did a transfer from SCB to SQ.
Started transfer on SCB at 19/11 2:30PM
Got confirmation from SQ at 20/11 2:50PM
Old Nov 20, 14, 8:38 pm

Mileage strategy - suggestions

I am trying to sort out my mileage strategy for both missus and myself.

At present it looks like this:

Me
Local spend - Dah Sing BA [HK$6 per 1 reward mile (RM)]
Supermarket - Citibank rewards [HK$3 per 1 RM]
AAVS - Dah Sing BA
Online HKG spend - DBS Black [HK$6 per 1 RM]
Foreign spend - Public Bank Visa [up to 0.5% cashback. Don't get charged any credit card issuer foreign fees apart from 1% imposed by visa]
I bank with SCB and get free Priority Pass through them.

Missus
Local spend - CX Amex [HK$6 per RM] or Citibank Premiermiles [HK$8 per RM]

As you can see the missus keeps things simple and that is the way she likes it. I am also trying to keep things relatively simple, but have a few extra options.

As you can see I'm collecting Avios as my main RM rather than Asia Miles now. This is partly to do with the fact they are non-expiring.

With the loss of free Priority Pass with CX Amex, we are seeing how we can get one for the missus (we fly about 10 - 20 times a year but often not with CX and only have status with Star Alliance).

I guess the obvious card is the Citibank Prestige card, but the missus is baulking at the HK$2,500 annual fee. Am I right in assuming that you can still get the 30k (or 40k if you meet minimum spend requirement) RM every year or that is just a one time offer. Also as she already has the Citibank Premiermiles card she won't be entitled to the free two night Anantara stay. Having a blond moment here, but what does the HK$2.5k fee amount to when looking at the 30K RM?

In relation to my foreign spend, at the moment I'm using Public Bank, purely for the saving of the foreign transaction fees. Is that really worth it? With Dah Sing for foreign spend its HK$4 per RM (yep aware there are better options like Fubon, but am wanting to stick on an Avios redemption as much as possible).

Any other thoughts?
Old Nov 20, 14, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by theworld View Post
I am trying to sort out my mileage strategy for both missus and myself.

At present it looks like this:

Me
Local spend - Dah Sing BA [HK$6 per 1 reward mile (RM)]
Supermarket - Citibank rewards [HK$3 per 1 RM]
AAVS - Dah Sing BA
Online HKG spend - DBS Black [HK$6 per 1 RM]
Foreign spend - Public Bank Visa [up to 0.5% cashback. Don't get charged any credit card issuer foreign fees apart from 1% imposed by visa]
I bank with SCB and get free Priority Pass through them.

Missus
Local spend - CX Amex [HK$6 per RM] or Citibank Premiermiles [HK$8 per RM]

As you can see the missus keeps things simple and that is the way she likes it. I am also trying to keep things relatively simple, but have a few extra options.

As you can see I'm collecting Avios as my main RM rather than Asia Miles now. This is partly to do with the fact they are non-expiring.

With the loss of free Priority Pass with CX Amex, we are seeing how we can get one for the missus (we fly about 10 - 20 times a year but often not with CX and only have status with Star Alliance).

I guess the obvious card is the Citibank Prestige card, but the missus is baulking at the HK$2,500 annual fee. Am I right in assuming that you can still get the 30k (or 40k if you meet minimum spend requirement) RM every year or that is just a one time offer. Also as she already has the Citibank Premiermiles card she won't be entitled to the free two night Anantara stay. Having a blond moment here, but what does the HK$2.5k fee amount to when looking at the 30K RM?

In relation to my foreign spend, at the moment I'm using Public Bank, purely for the saving of the foreign transaction fees. Is that really worth it? With Dah Sing for foreign spend its HK$4 per RM (yep aware there are better options like Fubon, but am wanting to stick on an Avios redemption as much as possible).

Any other thoughts?
Go for the Prestige.

I think for the time being, one can assume the 30k renewal bonus remains for every year - everyone will cancel the card once Citi withdraw the 30k miles. Everyone has their own valuation of miles, but at least to me, i wont mind buying 30k miles at HK$3k.

On a side note, Prestige is better than Dahsing BA in two ways: 1. You have year bonus of at least 2.5% (note the benefit is extra points of the value of 5% of spending , not the amount of basic points, since the earn rate is $1 spending = 2 points, 5% bonus base point only amount to 2.5% bonus miles), which makes it slightly better than Dahsing BA; 2. You have a choice when and where to convert your miles to and your option is not limited to BAEC only.

Thus Prestige can replace Dahsing BA, DBS Black as well as Public Bank Visa for you.
Old Nov 20, 14, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by LchChester View Post
Go for the Prestige.

I think for the time being, one can assume the 30k renewal bonus remains for every year - everyone will cancel the card once Citi withdraw the 30k miles. Everyone has their own valuation of miles, but at least to me, i wont mind buying 30k miles at HK$3k.

On a side note, Prestige is better than Dahsing BA in two ways: 1. You have year bonus of at least 2.5% (note the benefit is extra points of the value of 5% of spending , not the amount of basic points, since the earn rate is $1 spending = 2 points, 5% bonus base point only amount to 2.5% bonus miles), which makes it slightly better than Dahsing BA; 2. You have a choice when and where to convert your miles to and your option is not limited to BAEC only.
Understood!

I also guess I should change my card to Prestige as well from Dah Sing? Also, thoughts on my foreign spend card?
Old Nov 20, 14, 9:49 pm

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=12558

939 promo 1/8-30/9, two phases
Visa/MC cards only, no unionpay
*Each card plays separately*
Some people have invite letter, but *not necessary to have letter to play*
Can phone CS 317 95588 for target now
To target: 3x (extra 2x)
Above target: 939 points per $100 spent (extra 839 points/$100)
Max: 75,000 pts/phase
Exclude: non-hkd transactions
Register: www.asia.ccb.com/939rewards (from 4 aug 10:00am) or by phone 3724 7939
150K received on two cards
137K received on one card cos they excluded two fax purchases in HKD to a HK merchant incurred and posted in September.
Old Nov 20, 14, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by theworld View Post
Understood!

I also guess I should change my card to Prestige as well from Dah Sing? Also, thoughts on my foreign spend card?
Yes.. Prestige can substitute three of the four cards you listed. Foreign spending is on Prestige as well ($4/miles). (you may seek a supp card from the missus to save the 2.5k if you are not into the idea of paying 2.5k for 30k miles)

For the Rewards card, you may consider substitute it with CCB EYE card (1x basic earings, extra 4x on paywave/online, extra 2x on travel/overseas spending). Because most supermarket now accept paywaves, which you can earn 5x ($3/miles, in par with Rewards) plus you can use it for online spending 5x as well ($3/miles) and even better for online travel related spending 7x($2.14/miles). Disadvantage is you losses 5x points on other Rewards merchant not taking Paywave, e.g. Department store.
Old Nov 20, 14, 11:21 pm

Programs: CX MPC
150K received on two cards
137K received on one card cos they excluded two fax purchases in HKD to a HK merchant incurred and posted in September.
Just checked and I got 133K on my CCB Eye. Many thanks once again, percysmith. Without you would never have known about the CCB 939 promo (especially given the lack of English-language promotion). Guess I better get some more CCB cards and take it more seriously next time--it really is a points bonanza!

BTW: Do you know when Fubon normally post their bonus points? Is it transaction by transaction? Or do you have to wait for the next monthly statement. I'm hoping to top up my mileage balance by prepaying a few big bills in advance and then transfer the points out asap before the seats I want disappear.
Old Nov 21, 14, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by dgittings View Post
Just checked and I got 133K on my CCB Eye. Many thanks once again, percysmith. Without you would never have known about the CCB 939 promo (especially given the lack of English-language promotion). Guess I better get some more CCB cards and take it more seriously next time--it really is a points bonanza!

BTW: Do you know when Fubon normally post their bonus points? Is it transaction by transaction? Or do you have to wait for the next monthly statement. I'm hoping to top up my mileage balance by prepaying a few big bills in advance and then transfer the points out asap before the seats I want disappear.
Basic points (including weekend 2x and overseas 4x) = at the time of posting of transaction
Japan/Korea 8x, Lucky Draw, Taiwan 20x = next month
Old Nov 21, 14, 3:43 am

Programs: CX MP GR =(
SCB VI also has priority pass for free
Old Nov 21, 14, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by hakzai View Post
SCB VI also has priority pass for free
Rules have changed - only if you put in the full $1M Total Relationship Balance required (i.e. not using the $500K TRB concession for payroll). Or you have the Private Banking version of the SCB VI.
Old Nov 21, 14, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by LchChester View Post
Go for the Prestige.

Thus Prestige can replace Dahsing BA, DBS Black as well as Public Bank Visa for you.

If both you and SO have incomes then I suggest both of you churn Citi every after year - e.g. I got $1/mile for $15K on PM, $2/mile for 20K on Prestige. More attractive than 2.5% annual bonus even if it is cumulative.

My missus have subs of alll my Citis. I plan to cut all my cards next May and have my missus apply and give me subs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: