Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:02 pm

This is a credit card benefits question, not exactly a points question, but this is probably the best thread to ask.

I have a Priority Pass from my bank (unlimited lounge visits) as well as a Citi Premiermiles card (which offers 4x annual lounge visitation).

Assuming the lounge folks at a certain home airport don't mind, has anyone tried swiping different lounge access cards (belonging to one person) in order to admit two pax for free (the cardholder plus a guest)? I have been in this situation multiple times but it never occurred to me to try to use the second or third lounge card in my wallet.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:18 pm

You can - but some lounge guy match the name on Priority pass with boarding pass, no luck in this case.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:27 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Bear in mind Citi Premiermiles is valid for Plaza Premium lounges HKG only.

For HKG my experience is Plaza allow on a light day. Never tried on a peak day but Plaza Premium lounges are like zoos on peak days anyway (East Lounge in particular).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:11 am

Is there any way to earn AM on tax payment, other than the CCB/HSBC thing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by kaka
was it explicit when you apply?
Yeah the sales told me it was possible, and the website also confirmed it. I just called customer service and it turns out that on their record, the sales who submitted my application did the Premiermiles first, and then sent in the Prestige Card 4 days later. So based on their "record" I won't be given the 2 nights.

I can't believe how low that is. Why even bother advertise a welcome offer if you're just going to pull something like that. Anyone out there who's applying for Prestige + another card make sure they don't cheat you like this... watch them send the freaking application through. -_-
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Aquitaine
and the website also confirmed it.
Well, if by website you mean http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html , your expectations are possible but not guaranteed. It all depends on whether Citi chose to accept your applications simultaneously or consecutively. It is Citi's right to choose, not your right to insist.

In your case (and actually AFAIK from other cardholders' experience in hongkongcard.com) it chose the latter.

You essentially signed up a deal which gave them on paper the option to give you one welcome gift or two. Based on the terms alone you can't begrudge them for giving you just one.

Yeah the sales told me it was possible,
Now this will make a difference - if Citi (through its sales agent) made a representation to you that your applications will be processed simultaneously then you are indeed entitled to two.

Do you have this in writing? When I applied for Premiermiles and Prestige I was given a document request list which I had to reply by email (if agent asked docs to process both applications simultaneously then you have your evidence you should receive both welcome gifts).

Alternatively you can try complaining for the tape but they naturally claim the conversation you had with their agent does not exist. You might need an order for discovery or something to get it (and then find out their recording system's a mess).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:18 am

The docs to process both applications were the same... I applied in person with an agent at the branch and wasn't given anything when it was finished. I think the worst part is even though the agent only filled out one app for both cards (since I only signed one application), he applied for the cards separately...

What's also concerning is that 3 days after my original application, I went back to apply for a rewards card. The agent on the phone told me that according to what he sees, my Prestige card was submitted with my rewards card application, not my Premiermiles. I definitely did not authorize/sign for rewards+prestige , so either there was a transmission error, or they changed my application. Gonna go back to the branch to speak to someone... So ridiculous. Thanks for all the ideas and explaning though. I think I'm just kind of shocked a bank like Citi would do this so blatantly..

Last edited by Aquitaine; Nov 14, 2014 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:50 am

Given you have pretty high levels of English competency, and my understanding that all the Citi sales force is local, there may have been some lost in translation isn't there?

Also the sales seem to have submitted your application as if mine - as if the Anantara gift didn't exist. No idea warmer her was he really that not up to date, or whether he just assumed you didn't want it. Anyway, something to confront him with, if you can find him again...
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:34 pm

1,000 AM per $1,000 purchase Citi IFC 17 Nov-31 Jan

https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...-ifc-mall.html

There's also a up to $1,000 cash rebate per $15K purchase

No gift card/cash coupon - actual purchases of goods and services only.

30,000 AM and $3,000 cash rebate maximum. Per cardholder limit so no card sea.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:34 pm
v_c

Originally Posted by percysmith
Fubon for utilities ($6/mile, pay weekends, >$300, overpayment is OK as utility just carry forward the credit balance into next month) and for overseas ($3/mile)

If you don't need HSBC 6X for Dining/Entertainment/Lifestyle/Overseas/China, then put 6X for Home ($2.78/mile Groceries).

If you do, then apply for Citi Rewards for Groceries ($3/mile)

SCB Worldmiles AE ($5/mile) and DBS Black MC ($6/mile) for everything else.

You can't pay rent by card. I doubt for Kindergarten also.

Leave your CX Amex for HKG lounge visit only. Give a supp to your spouse to make sure s/he gets in.

For your China trips you're gonna get DCCed. Get a Unionpay - either Citi Rewards Unionpay version (and kill your groceries with it) or Bankcomm Diamond Unionpay (and put your Octopus Auto Add Value to it for $6/mile)
Thank you so much Percysmith!! Is Fubon better than Citi Rewards in the weekend for groceries?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:42 pm

Generally no.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
https://www.citibank.com.hk/english/...-ifc-mall.html

There's also a up to $1,000 cash rebate per $15K purchase

No gift card/cash coupon - actual purchases of goods and services only.

30,000 AM and $3,000 cash rebate maximum. Per cardholder limit so no card sea.
Thank you Percysmith.
What is "card sea"?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:04 am

Incywincy: http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=10691&p=1
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:26 pm

The docs to process both applications were the same... I applied in person with an agent at the branch and wasn't given anything when it was finished. I think the worst part is even though the agent only filled out one app for both cards (since I only signed one application), he applied for the cards separately...

What's also concerning is that 3 days after my original application, I went back to apply for a rewards card. The agent on the phone told me that according to what he sees, my Prestige card was submitted with my rewards card application, not my Premiermiles. I definitely did not authorize/sign for rewards+prestige , so either there was a transmission error, or they changed my application. Gonna go back to the branch to speak to someone... So ridiculous. Thanks for all the ideas and explaning though. I think I'm just kind of shocked a bank like Citi would do this so blatantly..
Citi's internal management is a bit messy and arbitrate, insist and being firm with the CS works
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by LchChester
Citi's internal management is a bit messy and arbitrate, insist and being firm with the CS works
Spoke with the sales today, basically he apologized non stop and said he screwed up... he didn't realize applying for the cards separately disqualified me. I had a feeling he didn't want to get his supervisor involved, so he offered to give me $600 in vouchers as "compensation" lol...it's not even close to 2 free nights in Bangkok but I don't know how to push for it anymore.

Sigh... I've never been to Thailand so I had been quite looking forward to this. Guess it was too good to be true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.