Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:21 am
McM

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by percysmith
Why would you do DBS Black Amex when you have the CX Elite?

Apply for DBS Black Mastercard instead (same earn rate, much easier to use).
I have neither! So looks like CX Elite first
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:10 am

@percysmith I don't get it though, the welcome offer eligibility says:

3. Each Eligible Cardholder is entitled to only one welcome offer, those applicants who have applied for 2 cards which one of the cards is Citi Prestige Card is entitled to two welcome offers.

But they won't honour that?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Aquitane: they would honour the Prestige welcome offer so far as the 30,000/40,000 Asia Mile offer is concerned. However. they say (and in my view, rather unambiguously) that you are only entitled to the Anantara part of the Prestige welcome offer if you apply for the Prestige as a New Customer. New Customer is defined as someone who doesn't currently hold or hasn't previously held any of the cards in the past 12 months.

We had a discussion at hongkongcard.com on this already http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=10062&p=48 #477. To the best of my knowledge no-one got Anantara for Prestige after Premiermiles. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't think there's much you can take to Citi complaints or even the HKMA.

(I made a similar invitation in http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=10062&p=49 #483 but I understand LYTA was not approved for Prestige)
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:38 am
McM

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Percysmith,
Am I right that all these 3 cards, DBS Black AMex, CX Elite and DBS Black MC earn at the same rate?

If so, why do you think CX Elite better than DBS Black AMex?

Also, do you prefer DBS Black MC because it is more widely accepted? However, MC risk DCC, right?

Thank you.
What is DCC?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by McM
What is DCC?
Dynamic Currency Conversion. One of the biggest scams when travelling.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic...ncy_conversion
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:52 pm

I think I get where you're coming from, but in my case, I was a new customer who had applied for both the Premiermiles AND Prestige at the same time... If I held the premiermiles card already then I would understand them not giving the 2 nights to me, but I feel like this is appropriate to their eligibility criteria.

I'll read over what was discussed on HongKongCard as well, thanks percysmith!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Aquitaine
I think I get where you're coming from, but in my case, I was a new customer who had applied for both the Premiermiles AND Prestige at the same time... If I held the premiermiles card already then I would understand them not giving the 2 nights to me, but I feel like this is appropriate to their eligibility criteria.

I'll read over what was discussed on HongKongCard as well, thanks percysmith!
Even if you make a complaint based on literal reading, they can well argue because you made two seperate applications they are entitled to process any application over the other. In your case they chose to accept the Premiermiles first.

Contrast this to 2012 welcome offer, where they did explicitly allow simultaneous application on same form:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120808...dc-master.html

"3. Only an Eligible Cardholder who successfully applies for two Eligible Cards via one single application form is entitled to two welcome offers. Otherwise, an Eligible Cardholder is entitled to only one welcome offer."

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 10, 2014 at 8:23 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:31 pm

Ahhh that is honestly just false advertising. I applied for both on the same application by checking both the Prestige box and Premiermiles box. It's almost not possible for any card to be approved faster than the Prestige, plus it's up to their discretion then which one they "decide" to approve first. -_-
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aquitaine
Ahhh that is honestly just false advertising. I applied for both on the same application by checking both the Prestige box and Premiermiles box. It's almost not possible for any card to be approved faster than the Prestige, plus it's up to their discretion then which one they "decide" to approve first. -_-
was it explicit when you apply?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:41 am

NEW topic -
Am I right in thinking that HSBC usually has a promotion for extra Rewards Dollars in December? Does anyone remember what it was last year? Thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
NEW topic -
Am I right in thinking that HSBC usually has a promotion for extra Rewards Dollars in December? Does anyone remember what it was last year? Thank you.
1,600 extra RC for $20,000 Mannings
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:54 am
v_c

We recently relocated to HK, joined Citi gold, and now looking to get credit cards. After reading through many pages in this discussion, I'm so confused I thought I might as well just ask here: what is the best credit card (or combination) for us?

- Currently only 1 of us is working with annual salary $1500000
- we spend mostly on rent, kindergarten, groceries, mannings, utilities
- we would travel twice a yr to mainland china, once to southeast asia on holiday, once to europe for summer holiday.
- I get a Cathay amex from work, and I travel frequently in the region and maybe once or twice a yr to europe for work.

I hope this doesn't sound very stupid.....appreciate your help!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:56 pm

Fubon for utilities ($6/mile, pay weekends, >$300, overpayment is OK as utility just carry forward the credit balance into next month) and for overseas ($3/mile)

If you don't need HSBC 6X for Dining/Entertainment/Lifestyle/Overseas/China, then put 6X for Home ($2.78/mile Groceries).

If you do, then apply for Citi Rewards for Groceries ($3/mile)

SCB Worldmiles AE ($5/mile) and DBS Black MC ($6/mile) for everything else.

You can't pay rent by card. I doubt for Kindergarten also.

Leave your CX Amex for HKG lounge visit only. Give a supp to your spouse to make sure s/he gets in.

For your China trips you're gonna get DCCed. Get a Unionpay - either Citi Rewards Unionpay version (and kill your groceries with it) or Bankcomm Diamond Unionpay (and put your Octopus Auto Add Value to it for $6/mile)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:04 pm

For buying flights on CX.com, use CX Amex is still best option?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by alan945
For buying flights on CX.com, use CX Amex is still best option?
It never was.

Before: CX Elite $2.67/mile < CCB eye $2.14/mile
After: CX Elite $3/mile < CCB eye $2.14/mile

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.