Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
If you have HKD and need to pay USD: yes! ($0.057/mile per above)
If you have USD and need to pay USD: yes (?)

HKD-->USD: 1.95% fee
(this is for the second translation from USD to HKD on repayment) USD-->HKD: 0.6% (HSBC) (HKD and USD really low spreads)
Total cost: 2.55% or $2.55 per HK$100 paid in USD

Prestige earn: (up to) $2.145/mile or 46.6 mile per HK$100 paid in USD
Less HSBC Premier USA earn: US$1/mile or 12.85 mile per HK$100 paid in USD
Net earn: 33.75 per HK$100 paid in USD

Cost per mile by charging US purchases to Prestige: 2.55 / 33.75 = $0.076/mile.

The analysis is somewhat flawed, because of Citi's stupid 5K threshhold where you earn normal $4/mile only.

Let's just analyse it assuming HK$10K (US$1,285) spend:

Fees:
HKD pay USD: 1.95% or HK$195
USD pay USD: 2.55% or $255

Earn:
First 5K: 1,250 miles
Remaining 5K: 2,500 miles
Subtotal earn: 3,750 miles
less: HSBC Premier USA earn (opportunity cost): 1,285 miles
Net: 2,465 miles

HKD pay USD cost per mile: 195/2,465 = $0.079 per mile
USD pay USD cost per mile: 255/2,465 = $0.103 per mile

Getting very marginal here. YMMV.
What currency do you have to repay your USD spending anyway? HKD or USD?

(Citi HK, HSBC HK, Amex HK HKD cards used in US): yes
HSBC Premier USA or Citi US cards used in US: of course not

Payment of USD spending will be in HKD. So I guess instead of spending the required HKD20k for extra 10k AM for issuance of Citi Prestige (get 30k AM for issuance and payment of fee), it is better to spend the HKD20k using Hsbc MC choosing payment in HKD instead of USD. Is the normal conversion for HSBC MC or is because there is an 'offer'?

Would there be any difference for local sending? As I know Citi Premiermiles is HKD8 to 1 AM.

Thank you as always.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by marcusboy
Payment of USD spending will be in HKD. So I guess instead of spending the required HKD20k for extra 10k AM for issuance of Citi Prestige (get 30k AM for issuance and payment of fee), it is better to spend the HKD20k using Hsbc MC choosing payment in HKD instead of USD. Is the normal conversion for HSBC MC or is because there is an 'offer'?
Wait. The Prestige 10K AM for $20K spend and the $2.145/mile offer stacks (that's why I held up a boat in the Maldives - I was using stacked offer)

Let's use $10,000 spend.

Citi Prestige:
Normal miles: 2,500
Extra miles: 1,875
10K for 20K miles (pro-rated): 5,000
Total miles: 9,375 ($1.06/mile)

HSBC (I'm going to assume HSBC Premier HK here):
Normal RewardCash: 40RC
Extra Rewardcash: 500RC
Total RC earned: 540RC
Total miles: 8,100 ($1.23/mile)

Actually if you have both Prestige with a welcome offer and a HK-issueed Premier, you enjoy a number of mutually-inclusive earn offers.

1. Citi Prestige welcome offer plus "Up to $2.145" overseas spend offer: 18,750 for $20,000 overseas spend (must hit $20,000 - all or nothing)
2. HSBC Premier HK overseas earn offer: $1.23/mile up to $10,000 (rounded to nearest $20)
3. Citi "Up to $2.145" overseas spend offer up to $37,000 (first 5,000 spending ignored so $4/mile only, remainder spending $2/mile)

If I were you, I would:
Overseas spend <HK$10K: Forget about the Citi Prestige welcome offer, spend on HSBC Premier HK only
Overseas spend 10K-20K: HSBC Premier HK to 10K, Citi Prestige the remainder
Overseas spend 20K-30K: Citi Prestige to 20K, HSBC Premier HK the remainder
Overseas spend 30K-47K: HSBC Premier HK to 10K, Citi Prestige the remainder

If I'm just short of 20K, I'll put a bit of local spending to make sure Citi Prestige reaches 20K.

P.S. If I'm not crystal clear, by paying HKD in the US I mean you charge USD on your HK-issued cards, let MC do the conversion and repay in HKD (at around 7.90-7.91). *Do not* accept DCC offered by the US merchant.

And since you plan to repay your US spending in HKD I suggest not using your HSBC Premier USA MC at all

Would there be any difference for local sending? As I know Citi Premiermiles is HKD8 to 1 AM.
Yes. Citi PM is $8/mile basic and Citi Prestige is $6/mile. The miles you earn can be used to redeem the same programs for Prestige and PM. So use Prestige if you have it.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:08 am

Wait. The Prestige 10K AM for $20K spend and the $2.145/mile offer stacks (that's why I held up a boat in the Maldives - I was using stacked offer)

Let's use $10,000 spend.

Citi Prestige:
Normal miles: 2,500
Extra miles: 1,875
10K for 20K miles (pro-rated): 5,000
Total miles: 9,375 ($1.06/mile)

HSBC (I'm going to assume HSBC Premier HK here):
Normal RewardCash: 40RC
Extra Rewardcash: 500RC
Total RC earned: 540RC
Total miles: 8,100 ($1.23/mile)

Actually if you have both Prestige with a welcome offer and a HK-issueed Premier, you enjoy a number of mutually-inclusive earn offers.

1. Citi Prestige welcome offer plus "Up to $2.145" overseas spend offer: 18,750 for $20,000 overseas spend (must hit $20,000 - all or nothing)
2. HSBC Premier HK overseas earn offer: $1.23/mile up to $10,000 (rounded to nearest $20)
3. Citi "Up to $2.145" overseas spend offer up to $37,000 (first 5,000 spending ignored so $4/mile only, remainder spending $2/mile)

If I were you, I would:
Overseas spend <HK$10K: Forget about the Citi Prestige welcome offer, spend on HSBC Premier HK only
Overseas spend 10K-20K: HSBC Premier HK to 10K, Citi Prestige the remainder
Overseas spend 20K-30K: Citi Prestige to 20K, HSBC Premier HK the remainder
Overseas spend 30K-47K: HSBC Premier HK to 10K, Citi Prestige the remainder

If I'm just short of 20K, I'll put a bit of local spending to make sure Citi Prestige reaches 20K.

P.S. If I'm not crystal clear, by paying HKD in the US I mean you charge USD on your HK-issued cards, let MC do the conversion and repay in HKD (at around 7.90-7.91). *Do not* accept DCC offered by the US merchant.

And since you plan to repay your US spending in HKD I suggest not using your HSBC Premier USA MC at all

Yes. Citi PM is $8/mile basic and Citi Prestige is $6/mile. The miles you earn can be used to redeem the same programs for Prestige and PM. So use Prestige if you have it.
Ok. Thanks Percysmith for the advice. FYI, I don't have Hsbc Premier USA MC but HSBC Premier Hk MC. Will take yr advice for overseas spend 10k-20k - 10k to Hsbc Premier MC and 10k to Citi prestige. Thank you again.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:29 am

Ok. Thanks Percysmith for the advice. FYI, I don't have Hsbc Premier USA MC but HSBC Premier Hk MC. Will take yr advice for overseas spend 10k-20k - 10k to Hsbc Premier MC and 10k to Citi prestige. Thank you again.
Try and budget and see how far you're short - with a 10K for 20K Prestige welcome offer (in effect a $2/mile offer, but you must hit 20K) try and think of things you can buy or pay in advance with your Citi Prestige.

Examples:
- supermarket and pharmacy (Mannings/Watsons*) coupons, even if you don't trade them (use them yourself later)
- Broadway and Fortress* also has coupons if you have upcoming phone/camera/appliance purchases
- (I'm sticking my neck out a bit here but) Smartone over-the-counter, 3HK at Watsons and online https://www.three.com.hk/appCS2/eng/...d=appCSPostpay , HKBN over-the-counter (they only have one counter though - at Fortress Hill)
- (really sticking my neck out) PRU premium payments at their Gateway office cashier

(unlike CCB, you cannot cash advance to make up Citi welcome offer shortfall http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html )

* buying coupons at Hutchison Whampoa chains is bit of a dark art

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 16, 2014 at 2:51 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:27 am

Try and budget and see how far you're short - with a 10K for 20K Prestige welcome offer (in effect a $2/mile offer, but you must hit 20K) try and think of things you can buy or pay in advance with your Citi Prestige.

Examples:
- supermarket and pharmacy (Mannings/Watsons*) coupons, even if you don't trade them (use them yourself later)
- Broadway and Fortress* also has coupons if you have upcoming phone/camera/appliance purchases
- (I'm sticking my neck out a bit here but) Smartone over-the-counter, 3HK at Watsons and online https://www.three.com.hk/appCS2/eng/...d=appCSPostpay , HKBN over-the-counter (they only have one counter though - at Fortress Hill)
- (really sticking my neck out) PRU premium payments at their Gateway office cashier

(unlike CCB, you cannot cash advance to make up Citi welcome offer shortfall http://www.citibank.com.hk/global_do...dc-master.html )

* buying coupons at Hutchison Whampoa chains is bit of a dark art
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:52 am

Interesting earn strategy (thanks to max仔 (formerly mileageboy) @hongkongcard.com) http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12312&p=1 #6

Get a Platinum BEA card and ask to upgrde it.
The upgrade doesn't kick in til 30 November.

Meanwhile earn 3X ($2.67/mile) on the Platinum til 30 November.
Have the points transfer to Flyer World on cutoff date (30 November).
I've deleted the above post, because there's been a report (which I myself have verified seperately with BEA CS) that Plat BEAs to be upgraded to Flyer World *will not* enjoy dining 3X.

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=12312&p=13 #121

Nothing in their 3X dining flyer really suggests this http://www.hkbea.com/pdf/tc/p1405i.pdf but since two CS have said this I have to disclaim this earn strategy until someone can prove the CS are wrong.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:02 am

Oh shxt. The Citi $2.145 overseas/$5.085 local isn't accepting new registrations anymore "out of [10,000] registration quota" http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12488&p=1 #3 (just confirmed it myself by putting a dummy card number into 8226 8626)

Well it's HSBC $1.23/mile vs Citi Prestige $1.33/mile with welcome offer.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

Oh shxt. The Citi $2.145 overseas/$5.085 local isn't accepting new registrations anymore "out of [10,000] registration quota" http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12488&p=1 #3 (just confirmed it myself by putting a dummy card number into 8226 8626)

Well it's HSBC $1.23/mile vs Citi Prestige $1.33/mile with welcome offer.
Thanks. I managed to register for the promo.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:46 am

Hi percysmith, sorry for the bother again. Just received a call from Hsbc to collect my MC. I was looking at the website and reading some posts here - we have 6 categories to register our card to get RC. How many categories can we choose and can we change the categories after selection? I suppose the categories are more or less the same just depending where u tend to spend more money on?

Thank you.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:27 am

Hi percysmith, sorry for the bother again. Just received a call from Hsbc to collect my MC.I was looking at the website and reading some posts here - we have 6 categories to register our card to get RC. How many categories can we choose
You can allocate the extra 5X to any of the six categories one at a time, though I think the common practice of serious miles gatherers here is to allocate all 5X to one category.

and can we change the categories after selection?
No

I suppose the categories are more or less the same just depending where u tend to spend more money on?
That and the availability of ongoing substitutes.

6X in HSBC is really $250/15/6 or $2.78/mile spending. I'll discuss each category in turn:

Entertainment: probably no-one puts it here. Or I don't talk to enough local brat students.
Overseas: can be approximated by Fubon $3/mile. If you don't mind the $250 conversion fee which you have to pay per year.
China: not easilly replaceable, but are you really gonna splash $180K in China? Just note the earn rate is RMB2.78/mile if you choose this.
Lifestyle: can largely be replicated by Citi Rewards $3/mile (Department Store category)
Home: can also largely be replicated by Citi Rewards $3/mile (Supermarket category)
Dining is the very hard to replace category in my book

So is it slam dunk Dining? I used to think so, but I've been having second thoughts (thanks to LchChester):
- HSBC runs a Mannings purchase (Home category) promo pretty consistently every half year. There's one going on right now https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...ival/mannings/ .
- *** If you manufacture spend by trade coupons ***, you can essentially earn 6X on your Mannings trading for the trading cost you're going to spend anyway.
- put dining on the next best card (possibly Citi Prestige/DBS Black MC plus SCB AE Worldmiles). And take advantage of dining promos from time to time.

I've recently started a lot of my colleagues on Mannings trading (by offering to sell all their coupons at 95 cents on the dollar). And put 6X on Home.

But I dine out a lot. At what point is it worth putting 6X on Dining over Home?

HSBC Mannings promo trading volume: Winter 2013/14 $23,333.33, Summer 2014 $12,000.
Extrapolate for 2014-2015: $70,666
Next best dining card: assume it earns $5/mile

"Free" extra 5X: $21,200 miles
Breakeven dining spend 2014-15 to make Dining more worthwhile: $132,500 or more.

I've had occassion to throw a number of banquets this year so I've already blown $97K of my 180K 6X quota. I don't see it very hard to dine 36K in the next 18 months.

So my use of dining is justified. Maybe I'll change to Home in 2016-7.

But if you're a new arrival here and not up to dealing with local coupon traders then perhaps using Dining is easiest.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 18, 2014 at 4:55 am
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:07 am

BEA 3X dining on to-be-upgraded cards is on again

Interesting earn strategy (thanks to max仔 (formerly mileageboy) @hongkongcard.com) http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12312&p=1 #6

Get a Platinum BEA card and ask to upgrde it.
The upgrade doesn't kick in til 30 November.

Meanwhile earn 3X ($2.67/mile) on the Platinum til 30 November.
Have the points transfer to Flyer World on cutoff date (30 November).
I've deleted the above post, because there's been a report (which I myself have verified seperately with BEA CS) that Plat BEAs to be upgraded to Flyer World *will not* enjoy dining 3X.

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...?id=12312&p=13 #121

Nothing in their 3X dining flyer really suggests this http://www.hkbea.com/pdf/tc/p1405i.pdf but since two CS have said this I have to disclaim this earn strategy until someone can prove the CS are wrong.
I've been told BEA Marketing is aware of cardholders trying to earn dining 3X this way and told BEA CS to tell cardholders that this will be allowed moving forward.

This 3X will be applicable so long as the Flyer World card remains unactivated, which will leave the to-be-upgraded Plat card valid.

flyformiles have reposted this earn strategy today https://www.facebook.com/FlyForMiles...if_t=notify_me .

I have to post some warnings though - until first rebates come in August, use this strategy at your own risk because of controversy earlier this week.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:01 am

You can allocate the extra 5X to any of the six categories one at a time, though I think the common practice of serious miles gatherers here is to allocate all 5X to one category.

No

That and the availability of ongoing substitutes.

6X in HSBC is really $250/15/6 or $2.78/mile spending. I'll discuss each category in turn:

Entertainment: probably no-one puts it here. Or I don't talk to enough local brat students.
Overseas: can be approximated by Fubon $3/mile. If you don't mind the $250 conversion fee which you have to pay per year.
China: not easilly replaceable, but are you really gonna splash $180K in China? Just note the earn rate is RMB2.78/mile if you choose this.
Lifestyle: can largely be replicated by Citi Rewards $3/mile (Department Store category)
Home: can also largely be replicated by Citi Rewards $3/mile (Supermarket category)
Dining is the very hard to replace category in my book

So is it slam dunk Dining? I used to think so, but I've been having second thoughts (thanks to LchChester):
- HSBC runs a Mannings purchase (Home category) promo pretty consistently every half year. There's one going on right now https://www.redhotoffers.hsbc.com.hk...ival/mannings/ .
- *** If you manufacture spend by trade coupons ***, you can essentially earn 6X on your Mannings trading for the trading cost you're going to spend anyway.
- put dining on the next best card (possibly Citi Prestige/DBS Black MC plus SCB AE Worldmiles). And take advantage of dining promos from time to time.

I've recently started a lot of my colleagues on Mannings trading (by offering to sell all their coupons at 95 cents on the dollar). And put 6X on Home.

But I dine out a lot. At what point is it worth putting 6X on Dining over Home?

HSBC Mannings promo trading volume: Winter 2013/14 $23,333.33, Summer 2014 $12,000.
Extrapolate for 2014-2015: $70,666
Next best dining card: assume it earns $5/mile

"Free" extra 5X: $21,200 miles
Breakeven dining spend 2014-15 to make Dining more worthwhile: $132,500 or more.

I've had occassion to throw a number of banquets this year so I've already blown $97K of my 180K 6X quota. I don't see it very hard to dine 36K in the next 18 months.

So my use of dining is justified. Maybe I'll change to Home in 2016-7.

But if you're a new arrival here and not up to dealing with local coupon traders then perhaps using Dining is easiest.
Thank you percysmith. Am digesting the info you provided
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:41 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post23221553

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 19, 2014 at 3:09 am
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:26 am

DBS offering "up to" 7,500AM member-get-member promo for their DBS Black MC – both referrer and referee get 7,500AM for successful application under referral even if no spending.

But it’s a bit complicated. Let me try and explain it back-to-front – how to be a referrer (and earn referrer 7,500AM), then how to be a referee (and earn referee 7,500AM)

Promotion T&C: http://media.tinyboxing.com/dbsblackmgm/tc.html

To be a referrer:

1. You must be an existing DBS cardholder (excluding Compass card)
2. You need to register for DBS promos at http://www.dbs.com/hk/mgmreg (mobile version https://treats.hk.dbs.com/mobile/) with your DBS credit card
3. You need to take your 10-digit registration number from (2) and paste it here http://media.tinyboxing.com/dbsblackmgm/fb-web.php (mobile version http://media.tinyboxing.com/dbsblackmgm/fb-mobile.php)
4. You get awarded a 500 mile, 1000 mile, 5000 mile or 7500 mile rate for your referees.
5. You pass the application link from (4) to an applicant, and both you and applicant get the rate in (4) credited to your respective accounts (in the form of 360 DB$).

Caveat: first 20 referrals count only

To be a referee and earn 7,500 AM, you need to have an application link from a 7,500 referrer and be his/her first 20 applicants. The number of applicant display can only be seen by the referrer and only updated weekly anyway - rather unhelpful of DBS.

How to ensure you're a 7,500AM's first 20?
I think flyformiles blogger came up with a good idea https://www.facebook.com/FlyForMiles...if_t=notify_me – don’t apply via a publicly-posted application link because you don’t know how many times it’s already been used, but contact a referrer who has not posted his or her link publicly first. Confirm with him or her that he or she has not shared it twenty times and then accept his or her link.
Does anyone here have a link available for 5000 or 7500? I would like to apply for a DBS card today so a link would be much appreciated
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by twonga
Does anyone here have a link available for 5000 or 7500? I would like to apply for a DBS card today so a link would be much appreciated
I can help you to apply DBS card, although the link only got 1000 miles, 20 quota remains intact:
http://media.tinyboxing.com/dbsblack...ode=6800110770

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.