Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dgittings
Many thanks Percysmith, incredibly helpful as always--especially the list on hong kongcard.com For those not on your list, guess the only solution is to try a small transaction first and see whether it is processed immediately?
Just as a clarification - those on the CCB list are internet merchants.

The others: if you can split a transaction, sure!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Timothy Lin
I hardly ever use my DBS Black Mastercard or AMEX Card. I actually find it quite attractive for me to pay my monthly rental expense of HKD 24,000 under this promotion. It's better than using my Standard Chartered AMEX to pay for my rent.
Percysmith, Does online spending on this DBS Black Amex count for this HKD 0.12 = 1 Asia Mile promo? Thank you.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
I have a big purchase coming up at around 16000USD, and I wonder which card would be the best for Asia Miles? I only have the SCB WorldMiles, HSBC Premier, Fubon Plat, SCB Priority though. Any recommendations for US-based credit cards? (for that, I have Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Discover and Citibank Cash Returns)
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Percysmith, Does online spending on this DBS Black Amex count for this HKD 0.12 = 1 Asia Mile promo? Thank you.
Online seems to be fine.

However it does say "foreign exchange" (外幣兌換) is excluded. This is emphasised in the hard copy offer flyer "you are rewarded with Local Psneing HK$2 = 1 mile)" (quite BS becaus this comprises 500 normal $6/mile earn plus 1,000 mile purchased (for $120) over $3,000 spend)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:25 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by bmtsang
Is this confirmed? I find the AM conversion rate is not as good as HSBC or Citi
To be implemented soon. This is from the "horse's mouth".
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: cx
im looking to switch from my BEA card to another card...

any recommendations would be appreciated!

i cant read chinese so i cant get the info from hongkongcard.com

im looking for the best conversion rate on spending... but i really need a VISA card. which is the best VISA card for the spending to AM conversion??

thanks in advance!!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:33 am

i only just found out today that BEA is discontinuing the AM conversion from their cards (except for the SG card)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by harryhk

im looking for the best conversion rate on spending... but i really need a VISA card. which is the best VISA card for the spending to AM conversion??

thanks in advance!!
MasterCard OK? Any meaningful difference in HK between Visa and MC?
If you're OK with MC then DBS Black (fee-free) or Citi Prestige ($2,500 for 30,000 AM)

i only just found out today that BEA is discontinuing the AM conversion from their cards (except for the SG card)
The Flyer World card too http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-126.html#1876
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by nsolitude
I have a big purchase coming up at around 16000USD, and I wonder which card would be the best for Asia Miles? I only have the SCB WorldMiles, HSBC Premier, Fubon Plat, SCB Priority though. Any recommendations for US-based credit cards? (for that, I have Amex Blue Cash Preferred, Discover and Citibank Cash Returns)
Well if you can designate your HSBC 6X as overseas, you get 45,561 miles for your 16,000 USD payment @7.91

If you have USD and use it you can save 1.95% foreign currency translation fee plus the 1% on the US cards.

Rough valuation of miles - so for US$100 paid
You can either pay HK$791, get 284.76 miles
Or you can pay HK$776, and get 1% cash back on that i.e. = 768.24

HK$791-768.24 = 284.76 miles
per mile = HK$0.08 <-- if I'm sitting on a heap of HKD I might do it. If I have the USD I'll pay USD.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
MasterCard OK? Any meaningful difference in HK between Visa and MC?
If you're OK with MC then DBS Black (fee-free) or Citi Prestige ($2,500 for 30,000 AM)

The Flyer World card too http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-126.html#1876
i got the citi prestige - its a great card!
i got the BEA SG - doesnt compare to the citi prestige really, but still good

both cards are master card

i need a visa with good conversion to AM because make a lot of transactions with a merchant which only accepts visa so am looking for a replacement for my BEA plat card... i'm leaning towards the premier miles since it is a visa and has the same conversation as the BEA plat....

if you got any recommendations for a visa with a better conversion than the HK$ 8 = 1AM... i would be very interested... thank you percysmith!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:18 am

i need a visa with good conversion to AM because make a lot of transactions with a merchant which only accepts visa so am looking for a replacement for my BEA plat card... i'm leaning towards the premier miles since it is a visa and has the same conversation as the BEA plat....

if you got any recommendations for a visa with a better conversion than the HK$ 8 = 1AM... i would be very interested... thank you percysmith!
Dah Sing BA Plat Visa earns 1 Avios per $6 local spending/$4 overseas spending. Sure it's not Asia Miles and it might even be considered OT to this forum but Avios definitely beats AM for CX/KA short haul where waitlisting is not required.

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=9750&p=16 #151

I'm trying to Avios now for use on CX/KA (even redeemed some on QF) short haul. Of course AM still fuels my long haul flying/trips down under/tight availability redemptions. Not only are the long-haul redemption rates better, it's easier to manufacture a lot of AM compared to Avios in HK under promotions like Bankcomm 8X.

http://www.dahsing.com/en/html/credi...d/ba_card.html

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 8, 2016 at 2:53 am Reason: Image inlining removed on objection of author
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze

thanks in advance!!
If your annual Salary is $480000 or above, try to apply for Citibank Premiermiles ($8=1 Mile for local spending and $4=1 Mile for Overseas Spending, no AM Conversion fee) (p.s: this card is EXTREMELY STRICT in checking your annual salary (12 Months), if the salary do not meet the threshold of $480000, they will definitely not approve the card)

If your annual salary between $250000 and $480000, try applying:
1. Shacom (Shanghai Commercial Bank) Platinum Visa^ (1 mile per $8 spent for both local and overseas spending, AM Conversion fee: $10 per 1,000AM min $100)
2. HSBC Platinum Visa^ ($2.78 per mile if you place all the 6x in ONE SINGLE category, $250=1RC=15 miles for normal circumstances, $300 fee for a year's worth of redemption) (This card can also opt for the Citysuper card for enjoying up to 10% off in shopping in Citysuper)
3. Fubon Platinum Visa^ (Local spending: weekdays and amt < 300: $12 / mile, weekends and amt > $300: $6=1 Mile, Plus SURE WIN 167 Miles (2000 pts) which you can participate 6 times a month; Overseas spending (other than spending in JPY/TWN/KRW): $3 / mile; spending in JPY / KRW: $1.5 / mile (Need to register IN ADVANCE, 2 mths in a calendar year ONLY); TWD spending: $0.6 / mile, AM Conversion fee: $50/5,000AM min $250 max $500) [to 30 Jun 2014, not sure whether Fubon will renew their co-operation with Asia Miles] (This card needs a Very good grading in TU, at least TU grade = B)

If your annual salary is between $150000 and $250000: try applying
1. CCB (China Construction Bank) eye Platinum Visa^ (1 mile per $2.14 for ONLINE overseas spending, 1 mile per $3 for ONLINE local spending / Transaction via VISA PAYWAVE, 1 mile per $5 for overseas spending (need to join their flying club), 1 mile per $15 for local spending, AM Conversion fee: $50 per 5,000 miles AM min $100)
2. BOC (Bank of China) Platinum Visa^ (any Co-Brand cards like: Sogo (can enjoy 5% off when shopping in Sogo department store), Henderson Land (can enjoy credit card Auto-pay for Management fee of any Henderson Land properties, with 2X points earned), Sino Club. These co-brand cards are also PLATINUM Visa), 1 mile per $15 spent (AM Conversion fee: $50/5,000 miles min $100)
3. DBS Platinum Visa (1 mile per $15 spent locally, 1 mile per $5 spent on dining (not hotels, dept.stores, and clubs), AM Conversion Fee: $50 fee per 5000 mile redeemed)

If your annual salary is between $60000 and $150000: you can apply for HSBC Gold Visa ($2.78 per mile if you place all the 6x in ONE SINGLE category, $250=1RC=15 miles for normal circumstances, $300 fee for a year's worth of redemption)

^: can earn AM via bill payment

Last edited by derek2010; Jun 9, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by derek2010
If your annual Salary is $480000 or above, try to apply for Citibank Premiermiles ($8=1 Mile for local spending and $4=1 Mile for Overseas Spending, no AM Conversion fee) (p.s: this card is EXTREMELY STRICT in checking your annual salary (12 Months), if the salary do not meet the threshold of $480000, they will definitely not approve the card)
not necessarily - you simply need a large deposit if you dont have the salary. at least that was how i got mine.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by kaka
not necessarily - you simply need a large deposit if you dont have the salary. at least that was how i got mine.
But, the require is to set up a Citigold Account with 0.5M fixed deposit of 3 mths or above -> got Citibank Premiermiles
1M fixed deposit for 3 mths or above -> got Citi Prestige
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by derek2010
Originally Posted by kaka
But, the require is to set up a Citigold Account with 0.5M fixed deposit of 3 mths or above -> got Citibank Premiermiles
1M fixed deposit for 3 mths or above -> got Citi Prestige
Still a work around

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.