Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:00 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fakecd
a potential loophole with HSBC 6x overseas (manual selected) red hot promotion.

I using my Premier HSBC for a cruise (no name mentioned but international major). The bill was in HKD$ and I settled the charge as such. The bill shows up as Southampton GB, and wola to my huge surprise I was awarded 6x promotion reward cash for this... I totally didn't expect (I wanted to pay with my AMEX but they didn't accept, thank god they didn't!)

so no foreign transaction fee but thanks 6x reward cash which was not expected... Also just got my CCB loophole miles... seems like I'm not going to be short of Asiamiles
I can confirm they award 6x on DCC too

I've just noticed my mother (who has overseas 6x on her HSBC) just signed for about $1,220 in Penn Bangkok. No THB figure appears for that amount so I assume she agreed to DCC. Reconciling the movement in her RC account, she's been awarded 29RC for that transaction, not 5RC.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I can confirm they award 6x on DCC too

I've just noticed my mother (who has overseas 6x on her HSBC) just signed for about $1,220 in Penn Bangkok. No THB figure appears for that amount so I assume she agreed to DCC. Reconciling the movement in her RC account, she's been awarded 29RC for that transaction, not 5RC.
aligning with my previous experience
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:46 pm

Is they any other airline offer direct/indirect flight to Okinawa (OKA) or Da Nang (DAD) under one world? After searching for the flight in CX website, I can hardly see they release any seat for redemption. Any suggestion?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by host2087
Is they any other airline offer direct/indirect flight to Okinawa (OKA) or Da Nang (DAD) under one world?
DAD - no

OKA - JAL via FUK KIX HND or NRT

onw.innosked.com

After searching for the flight in CX website, I can hardly see they release any seat for redemption. Any suggestion?
Need to waitlist

I waitlisted for Danang mid-autumn public holidays (6-9 Sep) in Dec. To my surprised they cleared in Jan - six seats

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 2, 2014 at 1:41 am
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
with asiamiles you can also go thru PEK
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:22 am

Has anyone received DBS' annual fee letter? My colleague said much more difficult to waive annual fee this year. Just wondering if this is true. If so, I may as well use SCB AE for my default card. Thx.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by maya1005
Has anyone received DBS' annual fee letter? My colleague said much more difficult to waive annual fee this year. Just wondering if this is true. If so, I may as well use SCB AE for my default card. Thx.
Really? After they cancelled "permanent" fee waivers for some early DBS Black AE customers they were already getting a torrent of complaints from angry cardholders and waiving on the slightest complaint.

One cardholder even paid the fee, complained and got his fee back http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=10964&p=9
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Best CUP card for overseas spending

Any recommendations as to which is the best CUP card for overseas spending? (They're none on the Wiki list). Since Unionpay is more widely accepted overseas these days--and doesn't add on the same foreign currency surcharge as Visa/Mastercard--I'd be tempted to use a CUP card even if the Asiamiles earning rate isn't as good as Fubon, DBS Black, etc.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:15 pm

There are two ways to go here:

Bankcomm diamond will earn HK$6/mile on spending outside of HK and china too. No foregn currency conversion fee.

HSBC unionpay on 6x overseas will earn $2.78/mile. 1% foreign currency conversion fee

If your 6x is overseas, might be worth paying the 1%
Using HK$0.1/mile

Bankcomm: 1.67% cash equivalent in miles
HSBC unionpay: 3.6% - 1% = 2.6%

HSBC overseas 6x may be a way to go
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by percysmith
There are two ways to go here:

Bankcomm diamond will earn HK$6/mile on spending outside of HK and china too. No foregn currency conversion fee.

HSBC unionpay on 6x overseas will earn $2.78/mile. 1% foreign currency conversion fee
Great. Many thanks, as always, for the helpful advice. Sadly I allocated my HSBC 6X to another category, so looks like its going to be Bankcomm diamond (already got an application in because of the great rate on Octopus AAVS).
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:58 pm

CCB Cards

Hi,

I currently already have the CCB Asia and CCB CUP cards.
If I apply for the CCB eye card, will the bonus points accumulated be combined?

Please advise.
thanks in advance.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:12 am

Cdubbyou: no. No combining points from any two or more cards regardless of category (2012: two Visas/MCs can be combined)
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:20 am

[QUOTE=percysmith;22417668]
Is they any other airline offer direct/indirect flight to Okinawa (OKA) or Da Nang (DAD) under one world?

DAD - no

OKA - JAL via FUK KIX HND or NRT

onw.innosked.com

Need to waitlist

I waitlisted for Danang mid-autumn public holidays (6-9 Sep) in Dec. To my surprised they cleared in Jan - six seats
Thanks for the info. By the way, I just found out that I need to apply a visa for travelling to Vietnam. Is it free of charge? I can see any info regarding application fee. Any experience sharing regarding the procedure? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:46 am

I used myvietnamvisa (no endorsement intended, there may be other providers!)
I used it for 2012 1 July Handover holiday

You pay them US$20 fee on their website.
They email you a scanned copy of an Approval Letter from "Immigration Department". They aren't very good on privacy cos they get approvals for 17 people at a time and you see all their DOBs, nationalities and passport numbers.

You then present the printout of the letter at check-in to fulfil Timatic requirements.
I held my breath when I presented the printout to HX check-in, half expecting them demanding to see the original, but in that instance the letter was accepted without comment and boarding passes issued.

When you get to the Vietnam airport (HAN, SGN and DAD good for this), there is a queue for VOA.
You queue, hand over US$45 (I can't remember is it in FT or Tripadvisor but the emphasis is that the notes must be crisp, and cards or other currencies not accepted) and they stick a visa in your passport. Takes about 15 mins.
You then enter with that visa.

---

(the alternative is to apply via the Vietnam Consulate in Wanchai in person.
Office hours: Morning: 09:00-13:00 (Except Monday from 9:30)
Afternoon: 14:30-17:30
(Saturday, Sunday, and Public Holidays: Closed))

Or a bricks-and-mortar Travel Agent - the way my mum prefers to do it. She is "delighted" to pay $300 plus the consulate visa charge for the TA's messenger to come pick up her passport and deliver it back to her.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 27, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by maya1005
I just got my DBS AE annual fee, and I just need to call their hotline and apply waiver by pressing in the keys (just like HSBC). Nothing annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.