Search

Upgrading reservation systems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Upgrading reservation systems

From the CX website:

Cathay Pacific and Dragonair will be upgrading our reservation systems in mid-February in order to ensure that we keep pace with our passengers’ travel requirements in the years to come.

During the period of system change, interim solutions will be put in place to minimise any impact to our passengers. We seek your understanding and patience for any inconvenience you may experience during the upgrade.

We will be providing more details in the coming weeks.

Does anyone know, or would like to speculate what the upgrade will entail (before they provide all the details!)
Is this just a simple IT upgrade or a radical overhaul of how reservations are made and processed? Will this impact award redemptions? Or is it just a bit of tinkering to ensure that passengers requests for meals/seats etc are processed in a more efficient manner?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it is the cut over from CUPID to ABACUS

Last edited by ChrisLi; Jan 5, 2012 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:27 am
Suspended

I thought they are going to be Amadeus same as BA/IB/QF?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Studio54
From the CX website:

Cathay Pacific and Dragonair will be upgrading our reservation systems in mid-February in order to ensure that we keep pace with our passengers’ travel requirements in the years to come.

During the period of system change, interim solutions will be put in place to minimise any impact to our passengers. We seek your understanding and patience for any inconvenience you may experience during the upgrade.

We will be providing more details in the coming weeks.

Does anyone know, or would like to speculate what the upgrade will entail (before they provide all the details!)
Is this just a simple IT upgrade or a radical overhaul of how reservations are made and processed? Will this impact award redemptions? Or is it just a bit of tinkering to ensure that passengers requests for meals/seats etc are processed in a more efficient manner?
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it is the cut over from CUPID to ABACUS
Originally Posted by chongcao
I thought they are going to be Amadeus same as BA/IB/QF?
CX / KA is switching to Amadeus in February.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Good Luck.

AFAIK - each time something like this happens, it will all go chaotic, regardless of airlines.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX / KA is switching to Amadeus in February.
So I guess this would mean everyone with existing CX bookings (CX uses 5 digit confirmation numbers for their PNRs) will get new confirmation numbers (since Amadeus uses 6-digit ones for their PNRs).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
It's the PSS upgrade. They've been talking about it in CXWorld for the past few months.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...centre/cxworld
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:23 am

Yes, switch from inhouse system to Amadeus. Legacy replacement projects - IT worst nightmare!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
From speaking to someone who's working on this project, my understanding is that CX cannot begin to sell Premium Economy seats until this migration from CUPID to Amadeus is completed.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:58 pm

Hope that CX won't make the same mistake as SQ did in last year when SQ upgrading ( for most of the users were downgrading!) the whole website including online reservation, check-in etc. SQ CEO had to apologize after all the complaints!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The last round of "upgrades" pretty much eliminated the ability to actually, ahem, use your Asia Miles for upgrades unless you purchased a ticket already. Kind of pointless if you would only buy a ticket if you could upgrade...

I'm not hopeful on whatever it is they'll be doing. CX isn't know for its IT capabilities.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
For those of us with award reservations booked long ago (using miles from one of CX's partners, AS), should we expect our reservations to be negatively impacted in any way (I.e., cancelled, missing, seat assignments dropped, etc)? Will this change how we're able to access our bookings online at their website?

Guess I'll have to be vigilant in checking our reservations daily.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Amadeus? Nooooooo !!!

Hello married segments...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Amadeus? Nooooooo !!!

Hello married segments...
I would also assume married segments across carriers as well with Amadeus :-(

Eg. CX segments married to BA/IB/QF segments etc.

and enhanced journey data polling :-(
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:14 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Pickles
The last round of "upgrades" pretty much eliminated the ability to actually, ahem, use your Asia Miles for upgrades unless you purchased a ticket already. Kind of pointless if you would only buy a ticket if you could upgrade...

I'm not hopeful on whatever it is they'll be doing. CX isn't know for its IT capabilities.
This was not an IT limitations problem, it was an enforcement of an existing policy that had previously been ignored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.