Too many elites these days

Old Dec 13, 11, 6:26 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: HKG, SIN, PEK, TPE, SFO
Programs: CX DM, KF TPPS, SPG PLAT
Posts: 46
Too many elites these days

Was at the KA check in area at HKIA this morning doing my regular Beijing commuter flight. For once I decided to pause and look around and was surprised to see that of the entire row of check in counters there were 5 F, 8 J/MP and only 4 Y! Again, at the boarding gate the J/DM line (no F on this flight) was longer than the Y line!

I know that there has been a lot of talk on this board about the abundance of MP members but now it is getting truly ridiculous. I think the tiering / benefit system is due for an over haul.

CX should think about making it harder to achieve DM / GO. I know that they already have pretty high standards vs other airlines but an airline loyalty program is supposed to recognize the most loyal passengers. If a big chunk of passengers of the overall customer base flies over 120k miles per year then that means they are not the most loyal customers and hence not worth including in the top tiers.

Also, I think CX needs to stop coddling other OW Emeralds. CX treats BA Golds and AA EXP much better than BA and AA do for DM.
ech207 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 6:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: HKG/YVR/LAX
Programs: MPC GR, GC Jade, OZ DM, MVP GO, TK Elite, HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by ech207 View Post
Again, at the boarding gate the J/DM line (no F on this flight) was longer than the Y line!
I've seen this happen before. So I just lined up in the Y line which was faster ^
iscor3 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 7:17 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,910
Two easy changes:

1) Stop giving out status to AMEX Centurion card holders

2) Stop treating OW elites the same as CX elites. Give them the written benefits, but all the other stuff should be reserved for CX DM/GO and maybe SL.

Done.
CX HK is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 7:30 pm
  #4  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,421
Originally Posted by CX HK View Post
Two easy changes:

1) Stop giving out status to AMEX Centurion card holders

2) Stop treating OW elites the same as CX elites. Give them the written benefits, but all the other stuff should be reserved for CX DM/GO and maybe SL.

Done.
CX doesn't treat OW elites the same as CX elites. Just stop giving MPC Green priority boarding. Fix the sector requirements by adding a min club miles requirement in order to qualify for DM/GO/SL
JALPak is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 7:37 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Posts: 1,559
Originally Posted by ech207 View Post
CX should think about making it harder to achieve DM / GO. I know that they already have pretty high standards vs other airlines but an airline loyalty program is supposed to recognize the most loyal passengers. If a big chunk of passengers of the overall customer base flies over 120k miles per year then that means they are not the most loyal customers and hence not worth including in the top tiers.
I'd disagree. Remember, you're seeing things at a time when the most frequent travelers of all -- the ones who are commuting regularly -- are at the airport. Given the value of the benefits CX offers for DM (or even GO) I guarantee you they've set the thresholds to capture only a reasonably small proportion of their customer base, even if those customers happen to be an unusually high percentage of travelers on certain business-flyer-heavy flights.

I've been on some KA flights where MPO boarding was longer than regular Y. But I've been on many more CX flights where the opposite was true, to a large degree. Which doesn't prove anything other than that as much as any of us fly, we shouldn't assume our anecdotal experience is representative of the numbers as a whole.....
CrazyJ82 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:11 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
CX doesn't treat OW elites the same as CX elites. Just stop giving MPC Green priority boarding.
I should clarify: CX treats OW elites very well, and often treats AA EXP's better than say CX GO or SL members. This relationship, however, is not reciprocated by AA.

And if CX were to get rid of MPC GR boarding, start giving some sort of lifetime loyalty reward? It's frustrating to see people who have been GO's for many, many years and have flown over 2 million miles with CX throughout their careers not be recognized after retirement.
CX HK is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:17 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 234
I second JALPak The most sensible solution I have seen so far........
Sam7 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:26 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW/LAX/JFK/LHR
Programs: AAdvantage (PLT), CX MarcoPolo (GO), Aeroplan, VIPorter, HHonors Silver
Posts: 1,821
Originally Posted by Sam7 View Post
I second JALPak The most sensible solution I have seen so far........
yup there is no need for Green members to be given priority boarding.
CX828 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:36 pm
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,959
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82 View Post
I'd disagree. Remember, you're seeing things at a time when the most frequent travelers of all -- the ones who are commuting regularly -- are at the airport. Given the value of the benefits CX offers for DM (or even GO) I guarantee you they've set the thresholds to capture only a reasonably small proportion of their customer base, even if those customers happen to be an unusually high percentage of travelers on certain business-flyer-heavy flights.

I've been on some KA flights where MPO boarding was longer than regular Y. But I've been on many more CX flights where the opposite was true, to a large degree. Which doesn't prove anything other than that as much as any of us fly, we shouldn't assume our anecdotal experience is representative of the numbers as a whole.....
indeed, they've already priced out leisure travellers at the early/late day flights. to fix this problem, they may have to do with boarding DM/Js, then GO/SL/GR vs Y, and allowing later boarding DM/Js to skip the queue. There's only so much they can do when the route identity = 50% SL+ besides tuning the qualifications... which would screw up the route identity of other routes.
kaka is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:50 pm
  #10  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 15,421
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
yup there is no need for Green members to be given priority boarding.
Or at least start kicking the ones who haven't flown 4 CX sectors out
JALPak is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 8:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: CX
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Or at least start kicking the ones who haven't flown 4 CX sectors out
Again, what about veteran members with a couple million miles flown? If they get grounded for a year or 2, do they automatically lose their account and account history? I'm all for making sure current elites are treated well, but we must consider the fact that CX doesn't (yet - I'm an optimist) reward long-term elites with any long-lasting benefits, and until they do so, I'm skeptical of changing anything.
CX HK is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 9:05 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: HKG/YVR/LAX
Programs: MPC GR, GC Jade, OZ DM, MVP GO, TK Elite, HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
yup there is no need for Green members to be given priority boarding.
I totally agree with this.. esp in YVR...too many of them who only goes back to HKG once a year and at most twice a year...
iscor3 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 9:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Posts: 882
As a BA Emerald who has now been based in HK for a decade, and having relatively recently started clocking points to Marco Polo instead (still only four months since Gold, but only 35k till Diamond), I can say from extensive personal experience that CX treats CX Golds better than OW Emeralds whether it is in the form of important unofficial benefits such as op-ups as well as less important but nice-to-have unofficial benefits such as personal greetings onboard flights. In fact, the reason why I have switched to Marco Polo from BAEC is precisely because of the better treatment.

As for official benefits such as which check-in desks one can use, or priority boarding, these are pre-agreed across OW so it isn't an option for CX to cut these.

The real issue is that there are all these false Golds / fake Diamonds around who have been granted their status through Amex rather than actual flights miles like us real travellers on this board. I understand the marketing logic of CX offering the Amex deal to potential future customers, but in doing so they have annoyed many of their actual current customers.
Too much travel is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 10:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: PH
Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Posts: 237
just jet let clarify this, do you mean amex gives you automatic MPC gold and diamond status?

What country's AMEX issues that?

Here it is more reasonable.. AMEX just gives its card holders free GR membership, not automatic gold or diamond
roquejo is offline  
Old Dec 13, 11, 10:45 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: HKG, SIN, PEK, TPE, SFO
Programs: CX DM, KF TPPS, SPG PLAT
Posts: 46
I definitely see the logic in your point. If you look at another route say HKG to DPS you have a very different customer profile.

However, leaving aside the disproportionate lines at boarding, what about the number of check in counters devoted to F and J/MPC? In my opinion this is an indicator that the entire membership base of elites has swelled in ranks.

Also, it's not just KA. Recently I noticed an additional number of F class counters (as many as 4 standard counters in addition to the specially designed F counters) being opened in the CX check-in area - although I know they have always had 1 or 2 standard configuration counters in addition to the specially designed F class counters.

The other thing is the F lounge. Sure the renovation of the wing has made things tough, but this should have minimal effect on the F lounge which has been ridiculously crowed for a number of years. Maybe they should consider a separate lounge for F and DM only? Or they could turn away oW emerald as AA and others often do...
ech207 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: