Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many elites these days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Disclaimer: well yes, i am a green MPC member.

so what? I'm not the ones who's clog up the MPC checkin line. its you fellow GO and DMs who clog them up in a commuter route. I dont fly at commuter times anyway.
remember, for a GR to stay GR, they need to fly <30000 miles or <20 sectors.
so for a GR who clogs up the commuter line (note *commuter*), the GR needs to fly less than 20 (lets say 18, assuming that flyer would fly back on CX/KA or a sector earning airline) sectors.
I'd well assume a GR who clogs up the queue less than 18 times on a commuter route is.... well, limited.

what if CX finally kicks out the GRs and the queue is still long?
kick out the SL and GO? (because they are the majority of the queue? most of them dont pay their own dime anyway so how should they be more significant than me who pays out of MY pocket and decides on CX DUH, when they pay their own dime they might go for AK, HO, JL or whatever suits best to them) would that still make sense? yes. there'd still be the 50 DMs on the flight + the 30-odd non-DM J flyers. still 80+ people in the queue. is that still too long?
should CX ban ALL non-J flyers to use the J line so the line is nice and short and all DM+/DM/GO/SL/GR queue in the Y line?

right.
Or how about filtering out GRs on those commuter routes and keep the rule on the rest of the routes. so the GRs on commuter route would go ex-TPE and get double the sectors and hence making SL, or let them go fly other airlines.

PS: My DYKWIA attitude here as a GR member is just like how the higher MPC members/ OW elites are presenting themselves in thinking that kicking GR out of the line would help the bigger picture. or why didnt i say since i was a member since 1999 i should have more rights than everyone.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
For me, my recommendation is

1. Kick out those GR that fly less than 4 sector per year (house keeping a bit ... )
2. Do a multi-tier priority boarding: First+DM+OW EM / Business+GO+SL+OW SA/GR/Everyone

On commuter route there's hardly anything you can do unless you do a 3rd or 4th queue
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
For me, my recommendation is

1. Kick out those GR that fly less than 4 sector per year (house keeping a bit ... )
2. Do a multi-tier priority boarding: First+DM+OW EM / Business+GO+SL+OW SA/GR/Everyone

On commuter route there's hardly anything you can do unless you do a 3rd or 4th queue
I figure CX do not think GR is costing them too much. actually I wonder how many GRs know they could board on the priority line? I mean, if you hang around FT then yes, but otherwise i think many of them wouldn't know (to put it in perspective, my dad, who's gotten GR with the CX AMEX, never knew he had such benefits when flying Y. I'm pretty sure he still does not know about it.)
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kamiao
I am sick of those people who demand cutting others' benefits to benefit themselves.

Seriously, if you are so passionate about boarding first, then just try to be the first one in the priority Q... how hard is that? You want to relax at Lounge as long as possible, then you also want that no body in front of you when boarding...is that fair? Have you ever been a Green before? do you know that priority boarding might be the only benefit that they have? Do you have to be so greedy and selfish that can’t even share a little bit benefits with others… just because this may cause you a little bit delay on boarding??
+1.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by kaka
I figure CX do not think GR is costing them too much. actually I wonder how many GRs know they could board on the priority line? I mean, if you hang around FT then yes, but otherwise i think many of them wouldn't know (to put it in perspective, my dad, who's gotten GR with the CX AMEX, never knew he had such benefits when flying Y. I'm pretty sure he still does not know about it.)
I completely agree with your sentiment in this and the above post. That's why I was posting the anecdotes about how many GRs there are on each plane...it's low compared to the rest of us at higher status levels. People have this notion that Greens are clogging up the lines, which is crazy. Line/lounge crowding is done by legitimate status pax and paid J/F pax.

Screwing over Greens not only doesn't solve the "problem" (debatable) of crowds in lines, it pi$$es off former and future loyal elite passengers. As you point out, some Greens are likely loyal passengers over a long period of time. What does CX gain by alienating them, especially since it's a fairly quick bump up to Silver if they were to switch jobs and start flying more frequently (hence not being a "freeloader" - quote borrowed from another guy on this forum - anymore)?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
+1

But I believe that taking away GR priority boarding privilege will just alienate those less frequent flyers who may well become SL/GO/DM in the future without solving the problem.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: oneworld emerald
On a flight to Tokyo last week, they did a makeshift line next to priority line for first class passengers and diamond members. Guess CX is making an effort.

The "long priority line" doesn't bother me, if I do want to board early, say I have a big carryon, I would haul my ... to the gate early enough to line up instead of having another drink at the lounge.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
I enjoy the priority boarding experience on both CX and DL where I'm an SL and always boarded the aircraft ahead of almost all people to put my luggage in the compartment also ahead of most people, and also to be sure I got my favorite newspaper to read oon the plane...I don't have problem with long priority lines, the reason? I'm actively doing something about it:

I'm always very prompt and always first to lineup whenever boarding is called...

Is is because I don't purposely stay in the lounges until the very last minute.. I do maximize the lounge by coming earlier to the airport, then also leave the lounge earlier to give more allowance walking to the boarding gate..

so for those who hates lining up but want to maximize the lounge also, why don't you come to the airport earlier and check in earlier... so you could leave the lounge earlier also to be one of the first on the priority line..

works for me everytime.

Last edited by roquejo; Dec 16, 2011 at 7:19 am
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Disclaimer: I am currently above GR level in the MPO "hierarchy" and will stay so at least until the end of 2012

CX/KA should always tend to their own frequent flyers first. I would let MPO GR members board with or even before other OW "elites". How about a zone system like US based airlines are practising?

But I can't imagine disadvantaging a MPO GR member for the interests of other OW airlines frequent flyers, possibly on mileage tickets on CX/KA.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by midlevels
I don't see what is the big fuss about long boarding queues. If I'm ever ticketed to fly in F or J, I'm usually one of the last people on the plane anyway because I prefer to enjoy the lounge.

It's only when I'm in Y that I care about being first on the flight because I don't want to deal with headaches due to lack of overhead storage. On the occasions when I'm not travelling with carry ons, I'm quite content to board last even when travelling Y.

Boarding early and having your butt in the seat for an extra 25 minutes makes no sense unless you need to vie for overhead space. Or, unless I'm in F in which case I don't mind boarding early But even then, the extra 2 or 3 minutes due to other status pax in front doesn't bother too much.
Now tell me where in the lounge I can get a glass of Krug.
Especially in the PP lounge in YYZ.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by mosburger
Disclaimer: I am currently above GR level in the MPO "hierarchy" and will stay so at least until the end of 2012

CX/KA should always tend to their own frequent flyers first. I would let MPO GR members board with or even before other OW "elites". How about a zone system like US based airlines are practising?

But I can't imagine disadvantaging a MPO GR member for the interests of other OW airlines frequent flyers, possibly on mileage tickets on CX/KA.
But the problem is neither MPC GR or OW elites, as none of these groups are flying often enough to clog up the precious system

Why CX should break agreement with OneWorld is beyond me. The partnership comes with certain good things and certain not-so-good things for all who participate. Could you explain in detail why you think CX will benefit from leaving OW?

Last edited by intuition; Dec 16, 2011 at 7:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by arahlen
But the problem is neither MPC GR or OW elites, as none of these groups are flying often enough to clog up the precious system

Why CX should break agreement with OneWorld is beyond me. The partnership comes with certain good things and certain not-so-good things for all who participate. Could you explain in detail why you think CX will benefit from leaving OW?
Not leaving, but for example creating a "Zone 2" boarding slot for MPO GR and OW Emeralds/Sapphires/Rubies... "Zone 1" would then be for other MPO members and F/J passengers plus travellers with special needs or children as usual.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:11 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The only good thing a "Zone 2 boarding" would do is to show how few GR and OW elites there are on every flight... The "zone 1" will be as crowded as before. IMHO.

I also see the process of degrading OW elites as a step towards leaving OW. maybe a "zone 2" is within the OW agreement, but it is a slippery slope. Once you start the degrading and find out that is is not solving the capacity-problem at a few commuter routes, you are tempted to progress on the degrading. In the end you no longer fulfill the OW agreement and should leave the partnership.

If there is a capacity problem at certain routes, maybe the solution is to increase capacity instead of (ever so slightly) decrease demand?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Now tell me where in the lounge I can get a glass of Krug.
Especially in the PP lounge in YYZ.
Hold ur boarding pass w the single digit seat number, go to the gate agent n skip the line. She should let you skip the line. Whats the fuss
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Except that....Greens have to pay $50 USD for the privilege of becoming Green. So they're not freeloaders. Or they are former elite passengers who got downgraded to Green after not flying enough. Either way though, they have "paid" for the right to be Green.

If you really hate the Greens, I guess the way to ensure they're not "freeloaders" is to actually enforce the 4 sector rule that CX has in place to keep status. That way you really police it. But I still think the notion of kicking all the Greens out of line is a crazy one, since they're hardly a problem anyway and it's a nice perk for them (and are pax who likely are flying in Y class, and need priority boarding more than those who fly in premium cabins).
Originally Posted by kamiao
I am sick of those people who demand cutting others' benefits to benefit themselves.

Seriously, if you are so passionate about boarding first, then just try to be the first one in the priority Q... how hard is that? You want to relax at Lounge as long as possible, then you also want that no body in front of you when boarding...is that fair? Have you ever been a Green before? do you know that priority boarding might be the only benefit that they have? Do you have to be so greedy and selfish that can’t even share a little bit benefits with others… just because this may cause you a little bit delay on boarding??
Originally Posted by CX HK
We should not be cutting benefits from other travelers; the airlines can do that by themselves quite well... it's time to reward frequent fliers of CX, not of OW, and not because you hold an AMEX Centurion card (which is not as exclusive as it once was, or as it is in some areas of the world).
Let me make it clear first - I never said Green are freeloaders.

What I mean freeloaders are the one who get the status for free (or without flying), which includes AMEX CX Elite and AMEX Centurion Cardholders, who are not SL or above without the card.

In specific, freeloaders exclude:

1. Those who paid $50;
2. Those who meet all the re-qualification requirements;
3. Those whose status are comped SL or above (CX requires an active booking in order to comp, so technically they are not freeloaders);
4. OW elites, regardless of level (OW elites are poor because OW is the only alliance that does not have a uniform published benefit across the alliance. Both SkyTeam and Star Alliance has it).

By the way, I did not suggest in cutting anything. I am simply asking for enforcement of benefits that someone really deserve.

Originally Posted by CX HK
I'm a big trip report fan - could you link me to a specific one of yours? ^
You can start from here (And you will understand what is worse or worst):

The 22000 Miles Long March - Check-In

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.