Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific New Economy Class and Wi-Fi Update

Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP CXDM, Bonvoy Gold, WOH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Amex Cent

Just saw this article on Bloomberg. Article does not mention anything about CX replacing the regional business class:

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. (293), Asia’s largest international carrier, will install new coach seats in long-haul planes and add Internet connectivity as it contends with rising competition from Chinese and regional airlines.

The new economy-class seats, which will be introduced in March, will feature a cradle mechanism for reclining and outlets that will let passengers watch contents from Apple Inc. iPhones and iPads on the inflight entertainment system, according to an e-mailed statement today. The Wi-Fi will be available for all passengers, Chief Executive Officer John Slosar told reporters.

Cathay also in March plans to add premium-economy cabins, fitted with 26 to 34 seats, as Singapore Airlines Ltd. and China Southern Airlines Co. seek to lure passengers with Airbus SAS A380s. The carrier has already begun rolling out a new business- class seat to retain lucrative business travelers.

Premium Economy will initially be featured on flights to Sydney, Toronto, Vancouver and New York, followed by London, Los Angeles, San Francisco, continental Europe and other long-haul routes, according to the statement. The product will be fitted in 87 planes by the end of 2013.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Official Announcement from Cathay Pacific :

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...000ad21c39____

Cathay Pacific releases details of new Premium Economy Class, announces new long-haul Economy seat
12 December 2011

Cathay Pacific Airways today released details of its new Premium Economy Class. The product, which will be progressively introduced on its long-haul flights from March 2012, will soon be available for passenger booking for flights departing from April 2012 onwards. At the same time, the airline announced that it will progressively introduce a new Economy Class seat on the majority of its long-haul aircraft, also beginning from March.

Cathay Pacific Chief Executive John Slosar said: “We are really excited about these latest innovations. As always, the comfort of our customers was front and centre of our design process and we believe the results represent a very significant upgrade in the product we offer.

“Premium Economy will be a real upgrade over Economy, and passengers will get great value for a great product. The seat will have a generous recline and plenty of legroom, and passengers will also enjoy improved service and many other extras.

“Our new long-haul Economy Class seat will also provide more space and comfort, particularly in the enhanced recline position. And with lots of extras - including the latest in inflight touch-screen personal televisions and mobile device connectivity - those long flights will be even more interesting and enjoyable.”

Emphasising Cathay Pacific’s commitment to continuous improvement of the airline’s products and services, Mr Slosar added: “Earlier this year we introduced our new Business Class to great acclaim and I’m sure our Premium Economy will have just as big an impact. And our new long-haul Economy Class seat highlights our strategy of providing a superior experience in all classes of travel.”

The new Premium Economy product will feature a quieter, more spacious cabin than the existing Economy Class with between 26 and 34 seats. The seat pitch will be 38 inches – six inches more than Economy Class – and the seat itself will be wider and have a bigger recline. It will have a large meal table, cocktail table, footrest, a 10.6-inch personal television, an in-seat power outlet, a multi-port connector for personal devices, and extra personal stowage space.

Customers will be offered a range of tailored products on the ground and in the air to provide a new kind of experience when travelling on the airline. It is targeted at those travellers who value a more spacious seat in a more private cabin, along with dedicated services and a number of additional features not available in the existing Economy Class cabin.

On the ground, passengers will enjoy priority check-in at dedicated counters and priority boarding before traditional Economy Class passengers. There will also be an increase in baggage allowance from 20kg to 25kg (weight system) or two pieces of baggage from 23 kg to 25kg each (piece system).

In the air, the Premium Economy Class seat offers a higher level of comfort with more living space in a separate cabin before the Economy Class zone. Passengers will also receive an environmentally friendly amenity kit with dental kit, socks and eyeshade for use during the journey. Larger pillows and noise-cancelling headsets will be provided to enhance the onboard experience.

Premium Economy passengers will be welcomed aboard with juice and champagne, and enjoy an enhanced onboard meal selection. Each passenger will also receive a bottle of water and additional snack choices to include more fresh fruit, energy bar and dessert.

The new Premium Economy cabin will be installed on all Cathay Pacific long-haul aircraft including Boeing 777-300ERs, Boeing 747-400s, Airbus A330-300s and Airbus A340-300s. The first 777-300ER and Airbus A330-300 featuring Premium Economy Class will enter into service in March, and will be available for sale in the first quarter of 2012 for flights departing from April 2012 onwards.

The airline plans to have 87 aircraft fitted with the product by the end of 2013. Premium Economy will initially be featured on the Sydney, Toronto and Vancouver and New York routes, followed by London, Los Angeles, San Francisco, continental Europe and other long-haul routes as the number of aircraft fitted with the product increases.

The new long-haul Economy Class seat will feature a cradle mechanism to enhance the level of comfort in the recline position, the latest high-resolution touch-screen personal televisions, a USB outlet and an iPod/iPhone outlet that allows passengers to connect their own mobile devices to view content through the personal televisions. The seat will also offer improved living space and more personal storage space.

The new seats will be fitted on all Cathay Pacific long-haul Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A330-300 aircraft. The first aircraft featuring the seats will enter service in March flying to Sydney and Toronto initially. A total of 36 Boeing 777-300ERs and 26 Airbus 330-300s will be fitted with the seats by December 2013.

Details of both the Premium Economy Class and the new long-haul Economy Class seat can be found in the table below:

Specification:

Premium Economy Class

New Long-haul Economy

Current Long-haul Economy

Aircraft Type

Boeing 777-300ER, 747-400,

Airbus A330-300, A340-300

Boeing 777-300ER, Airbus A330-300

Remain on Boeing 747-400, Airbus A340-300

Configuration

777-300ER: 2-4-2

747-400: 2-4-2

A330-300: 2-3-2

A340-300: 2-3-2

777-300ER: 3-3-3

A330-300: 2-4-2

747-400: 3-4-3

A340-00 2-4-2

Seat pitch

38”

32”

32”

Seat width

19.3”

18.1”-18.5”

17.45”-18.5”

Recline:

8”

6”

4”

* Please note that photographs of the new seats will not be available until early next year.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I'm travelling to YYZ in March on a 77G but it seems that bookings for PE will start only in April. Does that mean that the PE on those flights will be sold as Y?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:31 am

Angry How could you, CX?

I am very disappointed with CX's selection for the new CX premium economy seat and also the seat pitch they have selected. This does not at all compete with competitors in the Y+ market, such as QF (40-42" pitch) and VS (21" seat width). This product competes only with BA's product (same seat pitch)

For one, I definitely will not be paying up for CX's Y+ product, unless there is some miracle unknown that makes it better than the rest (or it is a op-up/low mileage upgrade). Anyway, it won't be much cheaper (if at all) than competing airline's Y+ product. It doesn't help that CX are really late to the Y+ party.

Last edited by comcats; Dec 12, 2011 at 1:55 am
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
My guess would be that if CX is not selling the Y+ seats in March, that the system would run similar to the 3 class planes that are sold as 2 class? ie. mpc elite members can request to upgrade to sit in the cabin? Perhaps it's worth calling to see what they say? Too bad there aren't photos yet, but based on specs it does seem that CX's Y+ will be similar to other products out there, and not entirely revolutionary. Doesn't really attract me to spend the extra $ on it...

Note that it does state that 747s will be getting the new Y+ product, contrary to previous speculation.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:56 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by comcats
I am very disappointed with CX's selection for the new CX premium economy seat and also the seat pitch they have selected. This does not at all compete with competitors in the Y+ market, such as QF (40-42" pitch) and VS (21" seat width). This product competes only with BA's product (same seat pitch)

For one, I definitely will not be paying up for CX's Y+ product, unless there is some miracle unknown that makes it better than the rest (or it is a op-up/low mileage upgrade). Anyway, it won't be much cheaper (if at all) than competing airline's Y+ product. It doesn't help that CX are really late to the Y+ party.
Very very disappointed! CX claimed it's new Y+ was supposed to compare with some regional J seats?!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:26 am
Original Poster

In a WSJ article of December 9th about the 747-400 evacuation in Shanghai, it says that CX Plans to retire all the 747-400's by the end of the decade. I really don't see why CX don't want to introduce the new business class and economy class on the 747's since this type of aircraft will service the majority of key European routes for a few years to come.

I understand that the model is at the end of its lifespan the current product (herringbone business class/fixed back economy seats) was launched in 2006 and its lasted 5 years. The lie flat model of the business class seat was introduced 5 years before that in 2001.

5 years on is CX going to launch another new product for the 777's and A350's and the 747's will still be flying with a product two cycles old !

Last edited by jetsetter1k; Dec 12, 2011 at 3:36 am Reason: text
Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:41 am

Mods, please merge this with my thread, "New Product Announcement Next Year". Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:40 am

Unfortunately I've predicted this. CX isn't trying to be the best airline anymore, but merely better or equivalent with their main competitors. I predicted 2-4-2 (on 773ER) but I was really hoping for 2-3-2 like other more optimistic members have said. You guys are right. This isn't that special and if the CX Y seat is any good then I don't see why anybody should pay 2x Y class (that will surely be the cost of the Y+ ticket) for a seat that's barely bigger and reclines a little more. Paying double the price so I can drink a cup of juice when I board? It's the same IFE and if CX new Y can recline most people will be happy.

Not sure how CX decided that this is the way to go, but it smells like the coffin-J situation all over again....
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Cathay Boy,

The specifications for the new CX Y+ is in line with the industry standard of what other airlines are offering. The new product is a trade up from Y rather than a trade down from J.

The main advantage of Y+ is the 38 inch seat pitch which translate to "Space" and CX will offer other services on ground and in air to differentiate its offering.

I am sure this product is well thought out and it will be a success. From reading various sources, it appears that the new Y+ seats would be more like a regional business class seats but off course that of modern design.

People are jumping to all sorts of conclusions without seeing the actual product. From how I am reading the press release, I think it will be a good product.

The CX product department = New Team, Same Dream...same dream to be the best airline in the world for which CX is!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Let's hope that this doesn't mean that F will be phased out.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:58 pm

Since the 747 has a larger fuselage circumference than the 777 (of 1 Y seat at least), and both is going to have a 2-4-2 configuration, I just hope that it'll mean a slightly bigger Y+ seat for the 747, not just wider aisles than the 777.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:29 pm

Thumbs down Wider Aisles Only

Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Since the 747 has a larger fuselage circumference than the 777 (of 1 Y seat at least), and both is going to have a 2-4-2 configuration, I just hope that it'll mean a slightly bigger Y+ seat for the 747, not just wider aisles than the 777.
As CX has said that the Y+ width will be a firm 19.3 inches (approx. 49cm, it just means that the aisles will be wider by about 5 inches (12.7cm). Note that an airlines' 747 Y seat would be narrower than the 777 for the same aisle width (in 10 and 9 abreast respectively).

Usually (given the same product), the 747 is better in all classes except Y.

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Unfortunately I've predicted this. CX isn't trying to be the best airline anymore, but merely better or equivalent with their main competitors. I predicted 2-4-2 (on 773ER) but I was really hoping for 2-3-2 like other more optimistic members have said. You guys are right. This isn't that special and if the CX Y seat is any good then I don't see why anybody should pay 2x Y class (that will surely be the cost of the Y+ ticket) for a seat that's barely bigger and reclines a little more. Paying double the price so I can drink a cup of juice when I board? It's the same IFE and if CX new Y can recline most people will be happy.

Not sure how CX decided that this is the way to go, but it smells like the coffin-J situation all over again....
I definitely agree with you on that. As well, CX have increased the width of the Y seat so that it is only 0.8-1.2 inches narrower than Y+ (18.1 & 18.5 inches for A333 and B77W respectively) and (probably) removed the airbag from the Y seat, making Y feel even more spacious (less reasons to go for Y+). For tall people (but not me), the footrest could interfere with the legroom available, making Y+ feel even worse. Also, recline is only 2 inches more, not much at all.

Last edited by comcats; Dec 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by 380Flyer
Cathay Boy,

The specifications for the new CX Y+ is in line with the industry standard of what other airlines are offering. The new product is a trade up from Y rather than a trade down from J.

The main advantage of Y+ is the 38 inch seat pitch which translate to "Space" and CX will offer other services on ground and in air to differentiate its offering.

I am sure this product is well thought out and it will be a success. From reading various sources, it appears that the new Y+ seats would be more like a regional business class seats but off course that of modern design.

People are jumping to all sorts of conclusions without seeing the actual product. From how I am reading the press release, I think it will be a good product.

The CX product department = New Team, Same Dream...same dream to be the best airline in the world for which CX is!
People jump to conclusions because CX has failed to deliver quality products in the past - how many people will actually consider to take CX Y because of its wonderful hard shell design? From reading various sources, based on the 11 times of Premium economy class experiences that I personally had with Qantas, Air NZ, JAL and Virgin - I just couldn't see how this will become a better product that will be worth 2x the Y class fare. The pitch design is there - 38inch! I am a 6 feet guy and sitting in a seat with 38inch pitch just won't give me any physical enjoyment, no matter how nice the seat is designed itself! I somehow agree with Cathay Boy on this - "CX isn't trying to be the best airline anymore, but merely better or equivalent with their main competitors."
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by maortega15
Mods, please merge this with my thread, "New Product Announcement Next Year". Thanks
You are correct, but it is difficult to merge now. I am closing this thread so that posters can continue discussion at:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...xt-year-3.html

Thanks,

cxfan1960
CX CoMod

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.