Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Instant Rewards by HSBC Philippine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC

One free round-trip ticket on CX from Manila to
- HK; 5 charge slips worth Php 10k (roughly usd 220) each
- Other Asia; 10 charge slips worth Php 10k (roughly usd 220) each
- Long-hauls; 15 charge slips worth Php 10k (roughly usd 220) each
http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/personal/...01#page=page-1

Recently offered. Only applicable to holders of credit cards issued by HSBC Philippines. Any Php consumption, indefinite offer period, unlimited nos. of free ticket per holder, taxes/surcharges up to usd 100 shouldered by HSBC. T&C;
http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/personal/...01#page=page-2

For me as a resident in Manila, too good to believe in...

Last edited by Oorinara; Feb 28, 2011 at 10:12 am
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
The redemption proceedure is classically Filipino - you have to take the unfaded, original credit card transaction slips in person, with your card to one of the four ticketing offices in the Philipppines where the CX staff will manually match the slips to the card! No doubt they will photocopy everything for their records.

I guess it would be too hard for HSBC to look up the transaction history on their system!

Not a bad promo I guess -- but economy class only.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
Exactly, very Filipino way: face-to-face manual transaction, non-paperless, possible manipulation, and no reconciliation thereafter. Only Y class, but not bad for short hauls such as MNL-HKG.

Btw, HSBC Phils. has similar generous offers with Starbucks and Cebu Pacific.

Get any tall beverage or 3-pack Starbucks VIA Ready Brew with your everyday spend of at least P2,000
http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/personal/...02#page=page-1

P1,000 gift certificate from Cebu Pacific with just 5 charge slip worth P3,000 each
http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/personal/...ds#page=page-1
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ACORD
The redemption proceedure is classically Filipino - you have to take the unfaded, original credit card transaction slips in person, with your card to one of the four ticketing offices in the Philipppines where the CX staff will manually match the slips to the card! No doubt they will photocopy everything for their records.

I guess it would be too hard for HSBC to look up the transaction history on their system!

Not a bad promo I guess -- but economy class only.
Not just Philippines - remember the HSBC Christmas Red Hot Promotion in IFC Mall and New Town Plaza on Saturdays and Sundays?

HSBC set up desks in both malls where they manually matched sales receipts to card slips, hand wrote the card numbers and amounts into a register and stamped the card slips to void them for re-use in the promotion.

I still haven't gotten my $200 rebate on a $2,000 suit I bought at IFC Zara's.

My other manager tried queuing at the NTP desk for this with his toddler - he gave up queuing.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:43 pm

Speaking of HSBC, here's their latest HK spending promo.

Spend at HSBC dining discount restaurants and get min 3X RewardCash

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4936
http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom206

Normally HK$250 spending = 1 RC and 1 RC = 15 mile so in effect the earn rate is $16.67/mile. Hardly justifies the $300 annual fee you have to pay for the privilege of converting to miles.

This promo will take the rate down to $5.55 per mile. But it is restricted to restaurants offering HSBC discounts. I'll only go to those restaurants occassionally so it doesn't justify me signing on to convert RC to miles.

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Thanks for that - I got 10X reward cash, which (since reward cash can be converted 1:1 to Octopus rewards) is in effect a 4% rebate on spending at the restaurants. It's not enough to change my choice of where I eat, but it would cause me to change the card I pay with to HSBC if I do eat at one of those places (and remember the deal!). For me HSBC rewards always just get converted back to Octopus rewards rather than miles these days. The mileage redemption rate and fee just isn't worth it.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Originally Posted by christep
Thanks for that - I got 10X reward cash, which (since reward cash can be converted 1:1 to Octopus rewards) is in effect a 4% rebate on spending at the restaurants. It's not enough to change my choice of where I eat, but it would cause me to change the card I pay with to HSBC if I do eat at one of those places (and remember the deal!). For me HSBC rewards always just get converted back to Octopus rewards rather than miles these days. The mileage redemption rate and fee just isn't worth it.
completely agree with what u said. I got 4X only which is worse than Shacom Titanium. But if there's a HSBC disc, I'll be using HSBC anyway, with or without this promo.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: CX DM, PR PE, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow! This is truly one hell of a promo! ^
I still can't believe it but just converted 15 of my transaction slips for a RT ticket to NY in Vclass. Unbelievable!
A free (almost, just paid $230 for taxes & surcharges) mileage earning ticket!

DM here I come :-:
Old Mar 10, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by luial
Wow! This is truly one hell of a promo! ^
I still can't believe it but just converted 15 of my transaction slips for a RT ticket to NY in Vclass. Unbelievable!
A free (almost, just paid $230 for taxes & surcharges) mileage earning ticket!

DM here I come :-:
What? V Class?!?! I thought it would be some stupid class like E Q O
Old Mar 10, 2011, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Time to call the IBC to open up an account in the Phils.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)
What? V Class?!?! I thought it would be some stupid class like E Q O
I am not too surprised. Cathay annual results for 2010:

http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...218.pdf#page=3

"The Philippines routes did not perform well. Demand was weak and was particularly affected by the hostage incident in August."

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 10, 2011 at 7:11 pm
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by percysmith
I am not too surprised. Cathay annual results for 2010:

http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/list...218.pdf#page=3

"The Philippines routes did not perform well. Demand was weak and was particularly affected by the hostage incident in August."
But then the MNL flight are normally filled with household worker anyway ? And I think they are strong in Rest of World .....
Old Mar 10, 2011, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Not just Philippines - remember the HSBC Christmas Red Hot Promotion in IFC Mall and New Town Plaza on Saturdays and Sundays?

HSBC set up desks in both malls where they manually matched sales receipts to card slips, hand wrote the card numbers and amounts into a register and stamped the card slips to void them for re-use in the promotion.

I still haven't gotten my $200 rebate on a $2,000 suit I bought at IFC Zara's.

My other manager tried queuing at the NTP desk for this with his toddler - he gave up queuing.

i really think they just wanted to make this as hard as possible. a few times i simply gave up when my cashback is around 50-100....
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by kaka
i really think they just wanted to make this as hard as possible. a few times i simply gave up when my cashback is around 50-100....
Well HSBC has obviously been cutting back its promotion expenses - in the last two years it cut its loyalty program to shreds, all but amputated its Miles program, made its bonus program meaningless and put out a lot less merchant discounts (alternatively, substituting them for set menus that I rarely eat).

Putting out gimmicky promotions that doesn't cost them much is more of the same.

But the Christmas IFC, NTP and Sogo (I forgot about Sogo) promotion is not as gimmicky as it could be. It didn't require registration for Sogo; you can argue registration is required for IFC and NTP cos it'll be hard to capture all Merchant IDs in the malls.

Citi's recent Sogo promotion does.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo GR,DL Skymiles, SQ Krisfyer,PH Mabuhay Miles, HH gold, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by Oorinara
Exactly, very Filipino way: face-to-face manual transaction, non-paperless, possible manipulation, and no reconciliation thereafter. Only Y class, but not bad for short hauls such as MNL-HKG.

Btw, HSBC Phils. has similar generous offers with Starbucks and Cebu Pacific.

Get any tall beverage or 3-pack Starbucks VIA Ready Brew with your everyday spend of at least P2,000
http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/personal/...02#page=page-1

P1,000 gift certificate from Cebu Pacific with just 5 charge slip worth P3,000 each
http://www.hsbc.com.ph/1/2/personal/...ds#page=page-1
Believe me they are auditing it. My premier AO just told me that a client was caught splitting a transaction into several slips of Php 10,000 each.

HSBC sent that client a letter and charged the full fare to that person's credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.