Wiki Posts
Search

Infants / toddlers in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Infants / toddlers in F

Hi

Not trying to open a can of worms, just wondering if CX are okay with youngsters in F. We are thinking of a trip next year and our boy will be 18 mths. Is it common for toddlers to travel in CX F? And are the staff helpful if necessary? My wife and I will obviously do what we can to minimize the impact on other passengers, so hopefully we won't get any dirty looks.

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with this.

Cheers
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by rlgshz
Hi

Not trying to open a can of worms, just wondering if CX are okay with youngsters in F. We are thinking of a trip next year and our boy will be 18 mths. Is it common for toddlers to travel in CX F? And are the staff helpful if necessary? My wife and I will obviously do what we can to minimize the impact on other passengers, so hopefully we won't get any dirty looks.

Cheers
In our experience, CX has been great with kids in F. We've traveled many times with 1 or 2 kids in F and they've been very helpful. 18 months old for long haul is tough in our experience because they get restless and loves to walk around. But regardless you won't have problems with CX FAs, they will be helpful.

As for the other passengers, will just depend on your flight. I find parents that are proactive to do everything they can to keep the children entertained are much more tolerated than parents who do nothing and just let the kids complain and scream!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rlgshz
Hi

Cheers
Sorry to say - let me know your itinerary, so that I can stay away.

(This is in fact what's in most of the F passengers' mind...)
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:56 am

Cx staff should be very helpful. As for dirty looks, tough. I don't give dirty looks to obnoxious adults who snorts like a pig, smells like alcoholic, non stop hitting on Cx staff, so don't give me dirty looks on my kids.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by garykung

Actually, what I think is in most other F passenger's mind is "why are you taking a baby/toddler in F? Especially on this flight!"

If it were so easy to persuade other passengers to stay away, I'd definitely make a point of broadcasting my next F flight with my kids...an empty or near empty F cabin is a world away from a completely full cabin....
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Gambler
Actually, what I think is in most other F passenger's mind is "why are you taking a baby/toddler in F? Especially on this flight!"
My reply: "How else am I suppose to bring the grandkids to see their grandparents? Or are you trying to say babies/toddlers are only worthy of Economy class?"
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
My reply: "How else am I suppose to bring the grandkids to see their grandparents? Or are you trying to say babies/toddlers are only worthy of Economy class?"
No. Charter
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Should be fine, as long as he or she doesn't cry the entire time...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Cathay - Diamond
If you are flying in F with kids are you saying you will all be travelling in F ? I agree with other poster I think 99% of people who fly F do so in the hope of no kids in F. Sorry to say but when spending such large sums of money the last thinking you want are kids making a noise or running around and parents who do this are selfish. Looking at your posts you normally fly in economy class and you seem to see a lot of people hitting on flight attendants. This is not something I see and I fly every few weeks in but I dont fly in economy so maybe your right the people in there are a different breed.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Cathay - Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung

++++999 ^
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:47 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
my 3.5-year-old daughter has flown CX F for 5 roundtrips already...first time 11 months old on HKG-SIN v.v. and the latest one a couple of weeks ago HKG-SFO/LAX-HKG. most of these experiences have been great and the FAs have been very helpful (e.g. in the latest LAX-HKG my kid slept some 10+ hours out of the 14-15 hours, and the FA came every 10 minutes or so making sure her duvet still there, keeping her entertained during takeoff-landing when we parents are away, etc). at the end of this latest trip another F pax also commented that she's very well behaved throughout the flight (he's probably as scared as many of you when he first saw a kid getting into the cabin).

but, that said, we have tried our best to "train" her...it's her ~13 leisure trips since the first one at 11 months old, so she knows how to behave (and are used to the air pressure change during landing, very used to the "loneliness" in CX's F/J seats, etc, which are often the reasons for crying)...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:51 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
"18 months old for long haul is tough in our experience because they get restless and loves to walk around" - in fact, during our first couple of F flights, we turned the F seat into the bed pretty soon and make it like a playpen for the kid to play in...and she tremendously enjoyed it and wouldn't really want to walk around / leave the seat at all !!

and at least in my experience so far, for long haul, my wife usually slept with her for some good 8-10 hours of the flight...and in the remaining time, it's my turn and I sit with her throughout, to have meals with her, play games with her, etc...so that she's absolutely entertained, and wouldn't have time to bother the rest of the cabin...(but yes, in reality, besides takeoff/landing, we in fact just occupy, at any one time, 2 out of the 3 seats we paid for, so it's indeed a waste)...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Cx staff should be very helpful. As for dirty looks, tough. I don't give dirty looks to obnoxious adults who snorts like a pig, smells like alcoholic, non stop hitting on Cx staff, so don't give me dirty looks on my kids.
I don't have kids, but agree completely with Cathay Boy. Well behaved children, fine. I actually enjoy having them on the flight. Challenging children whose parents are trying and are aware of and sensitive to the needs/comfort of the other pax, fine. Unpleasant, uncooperative, odiferous, rude or generally obnoxious children (regardless of chronological age) without parents/guardians/keepers who are trying to keep the situation under control are unacceptable.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: FT
speaking of infants in F, are 2A and 2K always blocked off for this reason? i have a trip coming up and spouse and 4 yr old in 11 but i wanted to be in 2K versus 2D...at the end of the day i do not really care since i am hoping to just get another J seat instead...but 2A/2K have been "X"'d since time of booking and at exactly 180 days out also.

i will gladly take a child in F or J or anywhere over some person that snores and snores and snores any day of the week.

in any case, i do not understand why people even bother to post about this. do drunk business man post about how they can be less disruptive in F or J? do they ask about where they can sit when they are going to pass out and snore for 10 hours without disrupting other persons in the cabin?

as to garykung...i will be in F in March between YYZ and HKG with a child...so stay off this flight ...not going to give you the exact day so other parents can have knowledge that you will not fly in F for the whole month.

as to bendachentaiwan's comments, companies pay to fly F, and lately, between YYZ and HKG...NO ONE pays F...well, BA miles pay for F.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by bendachentaiwan
++++999 ^
Not me. More kids = more caviar. I'm hoping for 4 kids with one caregiver, and then ME on my next 777 JFKHKG. Bring it on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.