Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run to Diamond

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by fakecd
not true. Still able to offload bags in HK. If you argue you need to leave the airport and/or get bags out for your friends gift in the checked lugguage they can't force the check-in to TEP.

To me it's not a loophole... It's just that CX ex-HK pricing are outrageously expensive i'm happy to fly to TPE and do ex-TPE to Chicago for less than 1/3 of what we pay out of in HK.
you are WRONG
I have the ticket in hand Tpe HKG Ord Ind return
no way to offload bags in HKG - FACT - confirmed by CX Taipei
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
you are WRONG
I have the ticket in hand Tpe HKG Ord Ind return
no way to offload bags in HKG - FACT - confirmed by CX Taipei
Yep, that's my experience as well....
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the big question is if you ticketed it as stopover or transit

There's no reason that they don't allow me to get my things back if it's a stop over ticket.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:11 pm
Suspended

I check the fare rules of I/D/C of fares from TPE-USA and the following is noted:

"1.轉機點-香港不可停留"

That means - transit point - Hong Kong Stopover is not permitted.

However I have successfully check in at LAX and JFK before on such fares and get my bags tagged only to HKG and no questions asked.

I think having the stopover restriction is not because CX discovered this so called "loophole" on this site. it is because of competition. There are less competition to US compare to Europe from TPE and on the Europe fares stopover is still permitted.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:21 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by newtoairfrance
However I have successfully check in at LAX and JFK before on such fares and get my bags tagged only to HKG and no questions asked.
Ditto for me....as I said earlier, within the last 6 months I did this (bags checked to HKIA from SFO I believe, but final destination was TPE with no stopover allowed at HKG). And have done this at least 5, maybe 6 times in the last 4 years without once having an issue.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
perhaps its the diamond status that helped... I know CX reads this board so I don't want to say too much, but offloaded at HKG no questions asked. Another experience, flying to other destination (ex TPE I-class), on the way back again forfeited the flight (just made up some excuse about family being sick or work urgent meeting)... what's even better, the CX agent offered to move the last segment of this non-changable I-class ticket to future date

what helps also is make sure your last flight back to TPE is well after your arrival time... say you arrive at 7am to HK, depart to TPE last flight at 8pm... you can of course get your bags out, make excuses. Also, the "transit" rule is 24 hours, so you can technically put your flight 24 afters your arrival, which can be the next calendar day. Don't see how CX will force you to check your baggage through for flight that's on next day. And for your information, the way i did was have TPE-HKG//(wait 24h)//-USA-HKG//(wait24hours)-TPE. This way you can do your TPE-HKG segment after your work in the night time, and fly to USA/Australia at your convenient time... no hassle.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:50 am

CX reads this board huh. Ok.

BONUS MILES FOR HIGHER TIER MEMBERS DARN IT!

STOP CHARGING GAS AND FEES FOR AWARD TRAVELS!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
CX reads this board huh. Ok.

BONUS MILES FOR HIGHER TIER MEMBERS DARN IT!

STOP CHARGING GAS AND FEES FOR AWARD TRAVELS!
Do they?

Then they should how much I am pissed right now(as a CX SL).

Written at ORD SAS Business Lounge (as I can't use Swiss Lounge at all)
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by garykung
Then they should how much I am pissed right now(as a CX SL)
Why are you pissed, exactly?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Why are you pissed, exactly?
He probably thought CX Award ticket works like any other NA airlines Award tickets: Call up, use X number of miles, pay just $50 USD service fee, and get your ticket. He wasn't expecting to pay $600 for an award ticket...
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Not a ex-TPE US-RT ticket, IMHO in gengeral, you can check-in a bag to a transit point.

In my experience,
NRT-xHKG-xBKK-xHKG-xJNB-xLHR-xAMS-xLHR-xHEL-xLHR-FRA-xLHR-CDG-HKG-xSIN-xHKG-NRT (good olddays DONEWC3 MR)

My first stopover point was FRA(10th landing point),
But I checked my bag at BKK,JNB,LHR,AMS,LHR without problem.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:52 am

anyone going for it this year?

I too am looking at CX mileage runs or at least better fares. I don't mind going anywhere. Going ex-TPE sort of makes sense but the fare difference hasn't been that great. I would definitely consider it if I was going bizzo as it is about 1/3 the cost and that seems pretty good.

Any thoughts on possible trips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.