Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

BKK=>HKG CX702 cancelled on several dates, didn't inform passengers...!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier

Due to the recent flooding situation here in BKK, CX decided to reduce the 5 daily flights to 4 by cancelling the CX702 evening flight on some dates. I was one of the affecting passengers that on last Fri (Oct 28) that they put me on an earlier CX712 flight, which I need to leave my office around 1 to 2ish & cancelled all the meetings in the afternoon. I only found out this info by putting me on an earlier flight by log-in to the Manage Booking 1 day before hand. When I arrived at the BKK airport CX check-in counter, the check-in agent asked some of my colleagues to take the TG evening flight back to HKG, they are still entitle to crediting both Marco Polo J Class Miles plus whatever Star Alliance member miles for that portion of the TG J Class flight.

Now with this Fri (Nov 4) comes again, & when I log-in to my account under Manage Booking, they also switched my ticketed CX702 to CX712 again. I immediately called Marco Polo hotline & trying to find out what's going on. I told them your original planned for CX702 cancellation was from Oct 28 to Nov 2 which was publicly announced, & now you are extending this reduction of flight. I expressed my opinion on my past 6 months travel on this CX702 Fri evening flight to HKG are always fully booked or even over-sold, mainly due to this timing is good for business travelers done with their meetings, either heading back to HKG, or having another connection flight to the North America. I said to her that you may consider to cancel the CX702 on other dates but definitely not on Fri. 2nd of all, why there was no SMS to my mobile nor any phone call to me for such cancellation where I usually receive a SMS for any flight delays, etc... She couldn't answer any. I asked can you re-book me on the TG evening flight, then she said this is up to the BKK airport check-in counter staff discretion, she can't do anything in the reservation system. Not negotiable. I told her it would be really unprofessional for me to cancel those already pre-arranged Fri afternoon meetings at such a late stage but not 1 week in advance, why there is no such mechanism exist to inform the ticketed passengers...?

I would like to any one of you who encountered CX flight cancellation before, what's their usual practice / or the standard procedure on what they should arrange for a passenger? Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Amex, CX MPC, IHG PC, LX M&M
Probably irrelevant, but I had a flight that was delayed once and I was still notified by SMS before the delay even showed up on the departure screen.

It seems that CX notifications are a bit hit-and-miss!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
I have always received a text when the flight is delayed or cancelled. This is often followed by a phone call.

Have you put your contact information in MMB?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:56 am

A press release about the cancellation was published on 27 Oct :

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en...0007d21c39____
Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by hadsst
I have always received a text when the flight is delayed or cancelled. This is often followed by a phone call.

Have you put your contact information in MMB?
Yes, of course, both my HK & Thailand mobile number were under the MMB.

Originally Posted by hkskyline
A press release about the cancellation was published on 27 Oct :

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en...0007d21c39____
The cancellation was only mentioned up till Nov 2, but now my Nov 4 CX702 also got cancelled.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
The cancellation was only mentioned up till Nov 2, but now my Nov 4 CX702 also got cancelled.
CX's website (flight status) clearly shows CX 702 on 4 November is cancelled.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:01 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
Due to the recent flooding situation here in BKK, CX decided to reduce the 5 daily flights to 4 by cancelling the CX702 evening flight on some dates. I was one of the affecting passengers that on last Fri (Oct 28) that they put me on an earlier CX712 flight, which I need to leave my office around 1 to 2ish & cancelled all the meetings in the afternoon. I only found out this info by putting me on an earlier flight by log-in to the Manage Booking 1 day before hand. When I arrived at the BKK airport CX check-in counter, the check-in agent asked some of my colleagues to take the TG evening flight back to HKG, they are still entitle to crediting both Marco Polo J Class Miles plus whatever Star Alliance member miles for that portion of the TG J Class flight.

Now with this Fri (Nov 4) comes again, & when I log-in to my account under Manage Booking, they also switched my ticketed CX702 to CX712 again. I immediately called Marco Polo hotline & trying to find out what's going on. I told them your original planned for CX702 cancellation was from Oct 28 to Nov 2 which was publicly announced, & now you are extending this reduction of flight. I expressed my opinion on my past 6 months travel on this CX702 Fri evening flight to HKG are always fully booked or even over-sold, mainly due to this timing is good for business travelers done with their meetings, either heading back to HKG, or having another connection flight to the North America. I said to her that you may consider to cancel the CX702 on other dates but definitely not on Fri. 2nd of all, why there was no SMS to my mobile nor any phone call to me for such cancellation where I usually receive a SMS for any flight delays, etc... She couldn't answer any. I asked can you re-book me on the TG evening flight, then she said this is up to the BKK airport check-in counter staff discretion, she can't do anything in the reservation system. Not negotiable. I told her it would be really unprofessional for me to cancel those already pre-arranged Fri afternoon meetings at such a late stage but not 1 week in advance, why there is no such mechanism exist to inform the ticketed passengers...?

I would like to any one of you who encountered CX flight cancellation before, what's their usual practice / or the standard procedure on what they should arrange for a passenger? Thanks!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-possible.html

Simmo's co-worker's flight to NRT got cancelled. CX also lied about her options. Simmo didn't post a follow up here but at the end, after they threw the conditions of carriage at their faces, CX put them on their direct flight to CTS

You do have a options and flying on TG is a possible one if you can get them to agree. Try show them you have a meeting so you can't make the earlier flight and make reference to the conditions of carriage. And you could even get a partial refund if the TG fare is lower than what you paid on CX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.