Upgrades Onboard Can it be done on CX?

Old Oct 22, 11, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Upgrades Onboard Can it be done on CX?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I could not find it with the search tool.

Does CX offer upgrades for sale on board like KA?

Do it all the time on KA, approach Purser they have a chart and based on milage charge your credit card accordingly. For example HKG-PVG $1,500HKD.

Works well if I can't score exit row on the full flights up to PVG.
Old Oct 22, 11, 11:44 am

Programs: CX GO, Freccia Alata, Hilton Gold
It could be done. The ISM has the chart, but the charge is quite ridiculous.
Old Oct 22, 11, 12:30 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aa767flyer View Post
Forgive me if this has already been discussed but I could not find it with the search tool.

Does CX offer upgrades for sale on board like KA?

Do it all the time on KA, approach Purser they have a chart and based on milage charge your credit card accordingly. For example HKG-PVG $1,500HKD.

Works well if I can't score exit row on the full flights up to PVG.
Can this be done with a gate agent, or is this only possible once onboard the aircraft?
Old Oct 22, 11, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Can this be done with a gate agent, or is this only possible once onboard the aircraft?
Apologies - I originally wrote this is possible to do with a gate agent, when in fact I'm not sure. I was confused with the term, I have no experience doing this myself (for some reason when reading I thought "gate agent" was referring to ground staff landside, where I can say from experience that it absolutely is feasible).

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 23, 11 at 1:39 am
Old Oct 23, 11, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, CX MPC GLD, MR PLT, SPG PLT, National Exec.
Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
Apologies - I originally wrote this is possible to do with a gate agent, when in fact I'm not sure. I was confused with the term, I have no experience doing this myself (for some reason when reading I thought "gate agent" was referring to ground staff landside, where I can say from experience that it absolutely is feasible).

I've tried without luck on the ground.

Well, once I was able to upgrade from Y to J for about $1,000HKD more at the AEL station in Central on an HKG-PVG after an a/c swap saw my exit aisle seat given to someone else.
Old Oct 23, 11, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by aa767flyer View Post
I've tried without luck on the ground.

Well, once I was able to upgrade from Y to J for about $1,000HKD more at the AEL station in Central on an HKG-PVG after an a/c swap saw my exit aisle seat given to someone else.
It is definitely feasible on the ground (my experiences are airside, at the transit desks in HKIA). I've never had any problem when there was room in the front - they just charge the exact fare difference. Took 5-10 minutes max. I almost always travel on Cathay/Dragonair ticket stock so never have any problems. Someone looking to upgrade with cash goes ahead of op-ups, staff tickets, people waitlisting for miles upgrades, etc.
Old Oct 23, 11, 1:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, AA PLT, BonvoyGld, LH, AI, UA, DL
I tried on non CX/KA stock once and was told not possible on the ground - but was given a good seat with the next one blocked as an emerald.
Old Oct 29, 11, 3:43 am

Programs: CX-Gold ; LH Miles & More
interesting different answers - I also tried such an upgrade with cash / credit card last year and I was told that this is not possible at CX
Same for flights from HKG to HAN with KA (here I asked at the boarding gate) ... there I was also told that the only possibility would be to cancel my ticket and I have to buy a regular business class ticket
Old Oct 29, 11, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Christian2011 View Post
interesting different answers - I also tried such an upgrade with cash / credit card last year and I was told that this is not possible at CX
Same for flights from HKG to HAN with KA (here I asked at the boarding gate) ... there I was also told that the only possibility would be to cancel my ticket and I have to buy a regular business class ticket
I think it probably has to do with the ticket itself, and how it was paid for. In one instance I was on either a "B" or "Y" subfare economy ticket upgrading to biz (I think it was "J"), and another time I was on a "J" subfare biz ticket and upgrading to "F" in first. I can't recall with whom I booked, but it either would've been CX's online website or a travel agent. Both were done at the CX transit desk in HKIA, and it was quick....5-10 mins max. They just had to calculate the fare difference and swiped my credit card.
Old Oct 29, 11, 9:51 pm

Here's my 2 cents:
-- prior to take off (LAX-HKG), there was a guy trying to sneak into J. He was trying to absurdly argue that J was empty and it should be all right for him to sit. (I didn't pay attention to the entire conversation). Anyway, the ISM came and offered him a seat should he pay xxxx USD. The amount was high.
-- AMS-HKG, the ISM came and we had a chat. She told me about one F passenger who would have liked to buy an upgrade from J to F for his assistance. She said she provided the price and the passenger declined as the amount was too high.

Hence, I believe it's doable. You just have to find ISM and simply let him/her know of your demand.
Old Oct 30, 11, 6:54 am

It is very possible with certain fares, but I don't think deep discounted fares are possible. Anyway, saw it happen at JFK a few times. Some guy asked for how much it is to upgrade to First (from Economy) and the answer I heard was $12,000 USD, and he argued on why is it so expensive as he's expecting just $3000-5000 (are you kidding me?) Another time an old couple asked about upgrading to J class and was told only $2500 for each person (must have bought full-Y fare), and out comes the American Express.....
Old Nov 1, 11, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
It is very possible with certain fares, but I don't think deep discounted fares are possible. Anyway, saw it happen at JFK a few times. Some guy asked for how much it is to upgrade to First (from Economy) and the answer I heard was $12,000 USD, and he argued on why is it so expensive as he's expecting just $3000-5000 (are you kidding me?) Another time an old couple asked about upgrading to J class and was told only $2500 for each person (must have bought full-Y fare), and out comes the American Express.....
Delta actually would sell upgrades for a much cheaper price at the gate.
Old Nov 1, 11, 6:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
It better be cheaper than CX by a lot since the value of a C ticket on CX is higher than one on DL.
Old Nov 1, 11, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
DL is a 'cheaper' airline than CX is anyway...

Gone are the days when one (me) had a fully endorsable paper J ticket on SQ from LAX-TPE (SQ) and CX TPE-HKG. I went to CX and asked if they could put me on their direct flight.. after much discussions, the station manager came back and said sure.. and if I can take the later flight (when there were 2 operating within hours of each other), they might even be able to offer me an op-up to F provided I put the miles to my MPC instead of AAdvantage.

The check in agent simply stapled all the coupons together and issued me with one F boarding pass at check in.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: