Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Advice: How to do HKG-PEK-PVG properly ?

Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Four of us is trying to clear BA miles before the nov dateline.
We are doing JFK-HKG(STOP 10days)-DPS . We want to do PEK and PVG when we stop in HKG. What is the best way to do this cheap? checked KA flights they are ~$680 each to PEK. Should we just burn miles? we have some in AA and DL miles if needed. Please let us know what is the best way to do this.

We are open to other destination during our hkg stop as well. all ears...

TIA,
S
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Yeah KA is your best option, you could investigate other ways but I'd burn miles and choose Dragonair.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: AC, BA
Originally Posted by sparkzone

We are open to other destination during our hkg stop as well. all ears...

S
Definitely consider taking the TurboJet to Macau for a day or two....
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:38 am

Flights inside China are significantly cheaper than from Hong Kong. You can easily just take the ferry over to Shenzen airport - check this: http://eng.szairport.com/catalog_585.aspx

Or take the train from Hung Hom and then a quick taxi ride to CAN.

You can book flights inside china at ctrip.com or elong.com.

Or take the subway over to Shenzen, spend some time there, fly, get back to CAN, spend some time there and then take the train back..
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response!
Forgot to mention four of us include 2 children age 6 and 7 so 2 adult and 2 children.
I checked all possible flights from HKG/CAN/SZX-PEK-PVG they cost about $500/person

I am leaning to use miles :
China Southern = HKG-PEK(stop)-PVG round trip for 30K/35K skypesos
China Eastern = HKG-PVG(STOP)-PEK round trip for 30K/35K skypesos
I cant use AA miles on CX/KA to do both PEK and PVG for less than 30k, they charge 15k one way and they dont have PEK-PVG

any better ideas?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:33 pm

Not sure about your prices.
I just checked (dates about a month out) and found on elong.com (switch to inglish in the pull down menue on the top right)
SZX-PVG 420 + 190 Yuan
PVG-PEK 570 + 190 Yuan
PEK-SZX 1030 + 190 Yuan
This was just for random days. You most likely can find something better playing with the dates.

You also can use the train between Beijing and Shanghai.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks for the response!
Forgot to mention four of us include 2 children age 6 and 7 so 2 adult and 2 children.
I checked all possible flights from HKG/CAN/SZX-PEK-PVG they cost about $500/person

I am leaning to use miles :
China Southern = HKG-PEK(stop)-PVG round trip for 30K/35K skypesos
China Eastern = HKG-PVG(STOP)-PEK round trip for 30K/35K skypesos
I cant use AA miles on CX/KA to do both PEK and PVG for less than 30k, they charge 15k one way and they dont have PEK-PVG

any better ideas?
These two seem to be your best options.
SZN or CAN as your departure point is not a good lowcost option with your two children in tow.
OR
CX/KA HKG-PEK and then maybe overnight train from BJ to SH then PVG-HKG. CX/KA is a better airline.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

OP:

You'll probably come out ahead if you use your BA miles to get to and from PEK/PVG (take the train between the two; it is cool), and then buying a separate ticket to DPS from HKG. HKG-PEK, in particular, is a very expensive route.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:37 am
Original Poster

The date I am looking is June2012, I know its still way out but time is getting short with BA changes

I kinda agree with 2 children and baggages, SZX or CAN is a challenge. Dont forget we will be tired and jet lagging from the flight

I am open to the idea of JFK-HKG-PEK- take train to PVG then redeem AA miles on CX/KA from PVG -DPS? 30k/45k . I am having trouble using KVS to check using AMADEUS JL/BA but if use CX, I can see them... weird. I am afraid those routing is not available using AA or BA miles.

I see the train is kool ride but slower and probably cost the same as plane tix? probably have to try it anyway for the kool factor

Any of you think my HKG-PEK(STOP)-PVG(DESTINATION)-HKG on MU doable for 35k skypesos? how bad can MU y be?

decision decision decision
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:33 am

I see the train is kool ride but slower and probably cost the same as plane tix? probably have to try it anyway for the kool factor
Recently, I've been doing a lot of BJ - SH commuting and can attest to the fact that the train is a lot cheaper than flying (y555, all in; plane tickets are rarely less than y900 once you take taxes/fees into account). In terms of travel time, with a bit of practice, I've been able to get under 6 hours, door to door. When flying, 5 hours is doable on rare occasion, but 6 hours is my average (ATC holds are very common), so this is basically a wash.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by moondog
OP:

You'll probably come out ahead if you use your BA miles to get to and from PEK/PVG (take the train between the two; it is cool), and then buying a separate ticket to DPS from HKG. HKG-PEK, in particular, is a very expensive route.
Except that you're putting your life on the line when riding China's high speed trains..... Say what people will about mainland airlines' comfort, they're (odd as this sounds) safest in the world for the past decade. Can't exactly say the same for their train network
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Say what people will about mainland airlines' comfort, they're (odd as this sounds) safest in the world for the past decade. Can't exactly say the same for their train network
~300 people have lost their lives in airplane crashes (on Chinese airlines) during the course of the past decade v. ~40 in a train crash.

In light of the fact that the rail network transports 25x more people than airplanes, I would argue that the train is categorically safer (not that I really care; both are safe enough for me).
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:42 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

I am open to the idea of JFK-HKG-PEK- take train to PVG then redeem AA miles on CX/KA from PVG -DPS? 30k/45k . I am having trouble using KVS to check using AMADEUS JL/BA but if use CX, I can see them... weird.
CX is notorious for its system issues when it comes to Award Availability. While CX Award Availability is supported via 4 different engines in the KVS Tool, the data from the recently introduced [Awards/JL-OneWorld] Method is the most authoritative and will match the current Availability that AA/BA agents are seeing.

I am afraid those routing is not available using AA or BA miles.
Which routing?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

@KVS, I just tried award/JL on
PEK-DPS = get error
PVG-DPS = ? ? PVG HKG then CX 785
maybe CX is not pricing routes from PEK/PVG to DPS?

@moondog = I agree the train option look interesting but I still need flight either from hongkong or from pek/pvg to my final dest dps
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:36 pm

@KVS, I just tried award/JL on
PEK-DPS = get error
PVG-DPS = ? ? PVG HKG then CX 785
maybe CX is not pricing routes from PEK/PVG to DPS?

@moondog = I agree the train option look interesting but I still need flight either from hongkong or from pek/pvg to my final dest dps
I just booked myself a biz class JFK-HKG<STOP>-PEK ticket for 50k BA plus $170 in taxes/fees. This is an awesome deal as far as I'm concerned (even though YQ is much higher now), if for no other reason, that I value the HKG-PEK segment at $400+. Lots of flights to choose from this time of year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.