Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club Miles Milestone

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
'On average 4 round trips per year? Not a huge achievement '

Perhaps it would interesting to know how many paid CX round trips SXC has done on Cathays now vast network (not including alliance partners) in the past 40 years.

Until the mid 1980s the CX network was small, North American flights did not start until 1983 and then only to Canada.
London did not start until 1982-3 and not to LHR, there were no other European flight until the late 1980s

The point that I am making is that it was not possible to fly exclusively or even mostly with Cathay prior to twenty years ago and of course there were no credits from airline alliances until after about 2000 or any free redemption flights for most of those early years.

Not a very pleasant or factual remark SXC !
Thanks for the reminder on the historical context, and how things have changed... in defense of SXC, I suppose in an era where some frequent fliers rack up 200+ flights a year, 370 over 40 years may not at first glance seem special - it may even seem light. But I guess now knowing when you started / stopped flying helps.

Again, goes to show how far CX (and aviation) has really come. But I also am surprised to know this qualified for DM IN back in the day.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
"Back in the day" 1974 -2000 I would often fly 6-7 round trips a month on Cathay and about 3 to destinations not serviced by Cathay..
Since 2003 I have been group Chairman and others now do most of the frequent business trips.
In the past 12 months I have done 7 Cathay round trips with 2 more to Europe in the next 3 months....getting close to 3 million Cathay miles ! .
Not any great achievement these days but a significant milestone for me none the less.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:37 am

"Back in the day" 1974 -2000 I would often fly 6-7 round trips a month on Cathay and about 3 to destinations not serviced by Cathay..
Since 2003 I have been group Chairman and others now do most of the frequent business trips.
In the past 12 months I have done 7 Cathay round trips with 2 more to Europe in the next 3 months....getting close to 3 million Cathay miles ! .
Not any great achievement these days but a significant milestone for me none the less.
Stories of this type of customer loyalty over so many years and miles always makes me feel disappointed CX has no lifetime recognition anymore to encourage more of these stories...
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
All these flights with 3 million CX miles, and not even an email from them? Whoa...
Old Dec 8, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Datapoint

Passed 500,000miles (as shown on MPC account page) last month. Was travelling HKG-NGO earlier this week, was upgraded Y to J (on a regional 777) along with my travel companion (AM member only) around 3.5hr prior to departure (both Y and J were not full). Flight was booked only the night prior.

At airport checked in agent briefly mentioned “MPC gave you an upgrade for today”. On-board SP sent an in-seat message to my PTV to congratulate me for passing 0.5million mile.
CX HK likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Data point

Crossed 2 MM last November and to my surprise I got an email from assistant MPO manager to congratulate and award me with 4 Bookable Upgrades (BUD) a couple of weeks ago. Not the best timing as my travel, like most frequent fliers, has drastically reduced nonetheless I appreciate their effort. Though I found it odd that they only reached out to me now after 8 months of crossing 2MM. I am currently at 2.1 MM now as I speak.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:08 am

Restarting the discussion a little bit - I was chatting about this with a consultant friend of mine, and he decided to ask MPC about it directly. This is the response he got: The numbers shown under "Total Miles flown and Total Sectors Flown" are the club points and club sectors you earned since joining the Marco Polo Club. It does not counts the miles redeemed and bonus miles earned.

So it seems now that the counter in our MPC profiles show (or begin to show) real BIS miles, instead of the bonus sectors and miles that we used to get prior to the change to TP. Did anyone notice their lifetime miles / sectors being reflected downward (if they applied this change retroactively), or maybe it just occurs now going forward.

Regardless, now that the counter effectively counts BIS miles (regardless of class - discount Y used to have 0 miles) perhaps now the "milestones" we hit will be closer to the amount of miles we actually flew? And maybe they'll throw us a bone or something that these milestones... now that you can even earn TP via credit card spend...
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by CX HK
So it seems now that the counter in our MPC profiles show (or begin to show) real BIS miles, instead of the bonus sectors and miles that we used to get prior to the change to TP. Did anyone notice their lifetime miles / sectors being reflected downward (if they applied this change retroactively), or maybe it just occurs now going forward.
It does not apply retroactively but only for flights post-Apr. 2016.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
It does not apply retroactively but only for flights post-Apr. 2016.
Interesting, I wonder if non-Asia Miles earning flights (such as deep discount Y tickets) are counted in this BIS counter? Or is it strictly for "Asia Miles earned".

Here's hoping that something around lifetime miles / sectors will come into play next year when they relaunch the FFP...
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
Interesting, I wonder if non-Asia Miles earning flights (such as deep discount Y tickets) are counted in this BIS counter? Or is it strictly for "Asia Miles earned".
Don't know about that. I don't think I've ever taken a O class flight or even SNQ before Apr. 2016. What I do know is oneworld miles and sectors earned before I joined MPO (when I was just an AM member) were counted as well.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:15 am

Don't know about that. I don't think I've ever taken a O class flight or even SNQ before Apr. 2016. What I do know is oneworld miles and sectors earned before I joined MPO (when I was just an AM member) were counted as well.
MPC has confirmed to us that even deep discount Y tickets that don't earn Asia Miles will be counted in this counter, so safe to say this is a pretty accurate BIS mileage and sector counter sans redeemed flights.

Next step will be what CX does with it!
ernestnywang and cmiller11101 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Got upgraded on the flight where i crossed 500K BIS miles last 2019...celebrated 10th year with MPO this year not even a canned email.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Got upgraded on the flight where i crossed 500K BIS miles last 2019...celebrated 10th year with MPO this year not even a canned email.
20 years for me this year (including AM membership), and nothing, either. However, 2 years ago, they gave me upgrades for 2 sectors (IAD-x/HKG-CAN, the longest and the shortest flight in the network) to celebrate my 18th membership anniversary.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I think they usually do flight upgrades on milestones, sometimes they may do it a month or 2 after you hit the milestone, but usually you have to fly around that date.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
20 years for me this year (including AM membership), and nothing, either. However, 2 years ago, they gave me upgrades for 2 sectors (IAD-x/HKG-CAN, the longest and the shortest flight in the network) to celebrate my 18th membership anniversary.

I heard before they do it in multiples of 5years for the anniversary upgrade, and 500K for the milestone. Not sure if it's still the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.