To upgrade or Not

Old Sep 9, 11, 12:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
To upgrade or Not

Would it make sence to buy a economy ticket $1323.00 and upgrade with 70,000 points, of which I suspect I would get 15000 points back on the eco. ticket. or get a bussiness class ticket for 120,000 points.

I figure It would save me 65,000 points and cost $1323.00 all in, unless there is a cost or tax on the upgrade.
mech11 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 6:38 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PH
Programs: CX DM, PR MM, IHG Plat Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 381
For me it would (depending on how much miles I have left).
However, If you are travelling with someone. The best bang for miles would be a companion ticket (@ 75,000 miles).

Make sure you are aware that only K class tickets and above can be upgraded ($1323 sounds kinda low for a K class ticket)
luial is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 8:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,968
Originally Posted by luial View Post
For me it would (depending on how much miles I have left).
However, If you are travelling with someone. The best bang for miles would be a companion ticket (@ 75,000 miles).

Make sure you are aware that only K class tickets and above can be upgraded ($1323 sounds kinda low for a K class ticket)
Is there MPC Companion Ticket at 75K? On Asia Miles website it only shows Companion Tickets for J and F classes, not Y. Thanks.
Cathay Boy is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 8:31 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,595
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Originally Posted by luial View Post
For me it would (depending on how much miles I have left).
However, If you are travelling with someone. The best bang for miles would be a companion ticket (@ 75,000 miles).

Make sure you are aware that only K class tickets and above can be upgraded ($1323 sounds kinda low for a K class ticket)
Is there MPC Companion Ticket at 75K? On Asia Miles website it only shows Companion Tickets for J and F classes, not Y. Thanks.
The OP is aiming at whY to J upgrade or full J redemption.
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 9:13 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 401
Well that settles it. .It would have been a Y ticket to HK and then on to BK.

I don't even see how to get a K ticket, so I guess I'll just go ahead and book the Business. Allthough I would have liked to save the points for future trip (as they come slow 1 at a time with the card).

I just thought it didn't sound that bad an idea, and getting some points on the card to boot. thanks for your input.
mech11 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 9:32 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: CX Gold
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by mech11 View Post
Would it make sence to buy a economy ticket $1323.00 and upgrade with 70,000 points, of which I suspect I would get 15000 points back on the eco. ticket. or get a bussiness class ticket for 120,000 points.

I figure It would save me 65,000 points and cost $1323.00 all in, unless there is a cost or tax on the upgrade.
some calculation I did one or two years ago. tax & surcharge not included.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...thkey=CPXwhIcM
andex is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 10:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PH
Programs: CX DM, PR MM, IHG Plat Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
Is there MPC Companion Ticket at 75K? On Asia Miles website it only shows Companion Tickets for J and F classes, not Y. Thanks.
Yes, there is. As you may have known companion tickets are for J and F class only. (ex. BKK-HKG-LAX J class RT is 75k for companion)
OP Is looking at J class that is why I made the suggestion.
luial is offline  
Old Sep 9, 11, 11:13 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PH
Programs: CX DM, PR MM, IHG Plat Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by andex View Post
some calculation I did one or two years ago. tax & surcharge not included.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...thkey=CPXwhIcM
Nice guide ^
Notice an error in your part though. Miles earned on ticket is only for one way and not for the round trip as computed.
luial is offline  
Old Sep 10, 11, 1:33 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: MPC Silver
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by luial View Post
Nice guide ^
Notice an error in your part though. Miles earned on ticket is only for one way and not for the round trip as computed.
Quick question. Do you still earn miles for the class K ticket, even though if you have redeemed an upgrade to business? Or no miles will be earned to an upgrade award?

Thank you!!
Kushi is offline  
Old Sep 10, 11, 1:49 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: CX Gold
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by luial View Post
Nice guide ^
Notice an error in your part though. Miles earned on ticket is only for one way and not for the round trip as computed.
updated. thanks!


Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
Do you still earn miles for the class K ticket, even though if you have redeemed an upgrade to business?
you will get Y miles.
andex is offline  
Old Sep 10, 11, 6:20 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,968
Originally Posted by andex View Post
some calculation I did one or two years ago. tax & surcharge not included.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...thkey=CPXwhIcM
Heh heh, CX should post this on their Award Chart.
Cathay Boy is offline  
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:20 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: MPC Silver
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by andex View Post
updated. thanks!




you will get Y miles.
That's great!!! Thanks!!
Kushi is offline  
Old Sep 13, 11, 1:21 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: MPC Silver
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by andex View Post
updated. thanks!




you will get Y miles.
Wait, what is Y miles?
Kushi is offline  
Old Sep 13, 11, 2:05 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Posts: 3,595
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
Wait, what is Y miles?
It means the miles that you underlying original ticket.

For CX it's always easy:

Y->J Upgrade : 1 Club Sector, 100% Miles Flew
J->F Upgrade : 1.25 Club Sector, 125% Miles Flew
ChrisLi is offline  
Old Sep 13, 11, 11:31 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: MPC Silver
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by ChrisLi View Post
It means the miles that you underlying original ticket.

For CX it's always easy:

Y->J Upgrade : 1 Club Sector, 100% Miles Flew
J->F Upgrade : 1.25 Club Sector, 125% Miles Flew
I see I see. Thank you for the info!! ^
Kushi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: