Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX889 Award

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:35 am
Original Poster

CX889 Award

I keep running in to the same problem trying to book an award on flight CX889 and was wondering if you guys have any advice.

I see available inventory on the flight using KVS. Call British Airways to book it and am told that the flight doesn't have any availability. This is the flight that stops in YVR on its way from JFK to HKG. If I look up JFK-HKG I see availability. If I look up individual legs I see availability on JFK-YVR but not on YVR-HKG.

Now my question is if/when booking this flight JFK-HKG is that a separate award inventory bucket as opposed to JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG buckets? Or must there be available inventory on the individual legs in order to get the flight booked the way I want it?

Thanks
greendx
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typically the inventory is managed separately, although obviously there needs to be space on both segments for them to sell a ticket (revenue or award).

The other issue, and the one that you're probably facing, is that Cathay generally has more award availability for its own members than it does for partners like BA or AA. I'm not sure where KVS is pulling the inventory from, but it's possible (if not likely) that there is availability for Asiamiles redemption on those segments but CX hasn't made those seats available for partners. Unfortunately this happens quite frequently.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Well I'm new to KVS but from what I read so far when using the Amadeus: Awards/CX method if it shows availability via KVS it's the same as what CX members see. In fact I can pull up same availability for JFK-HKG flight 889 on the asiamiles site and also can see JFK-YVR availability but not YVR-HKG.

Something tells me that JFK-YVR should be bookable and maybe I'm just having bad luck with the BA agents. I'm hoping someone here has run into this and knows more considering how many people book these flights using BA miles.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Typically the inventory is managed separately, although obviously there needs to be space on both segments for them to sell a ticket (revenue or award).

The other issue, and the one that you're probably facing, is that Cathay generally has more award availability for its own members than it does for partners like BA or AA. I'm not sure where KVS is pulling the inventory from, but it's possible (if not likely) that there is availability for Asiamiles redemption on those segments but CX hasn't made those seats available for partners. Unfortunately this happens quite frequently.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:11 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by greendx
Well I'm new to KVS
Welcome to the KVS Tool!

I see available inventory on the flight using KVS. Call British Airways to book it and am told that the flight doesn't have any availability. This is the flight that stops in YVR on its way from JFK to HKG. If I look up JFK-HKG I see availability. If I look up individual legs I see availability on JFK-YVR but not on YVR-HKG.
What's the flight #/date in question?

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm not sure where KVS is pulling the inventory from
The KVS Tool has 3 (soon increasing to 4) user-switchable sources for CX Award Availability, so you can see the inventory from just about every possible perspective.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:19 pm

I keep running in to the same problem trying to book an award on flight CX889 and was wondering if you guys have any advice.

Now my question is if/when booking this flight JFK-HKG is that a separate award inventory bucket as opposed to JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG buckets? Or must there be available inventory on the individual legs in order to get the flight booked the way I want it?

Thanks
greendx
I'd use the BA sit instead of calling. Also, book the 0120 nonstop; leaves later, arrives earlier, and no 1-stop risk. Then, a few days out, see if 889 opens up. I rarely see it available in advance, but CX845 at 0120 usually is.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
Welcome to the KVS Tool!

What's the flight #/date in question?

The KVS Tool has 3 (soon increasing to 4) user-switchable sources for CX Award Availability, so you can see the inventory from just about every possible perspective.
Hi, great product. Can't believe I waited so long to start using it.

I'm trying to book in F leaving JFK on December 12th. Here is the info that I am seeing. As you can see the YVR-HKG leg is the problem but I'm hoping that the fact that JFK-HKG (CX889) shows as available that the issue is simply with the BA agents, in which case I need some advice on how to convince them to book this.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.3.0.R2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/CX]
Code:
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
MON  12 Dec 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
CX         889     JFK   22:00     HKG   07:55 +2  773  1   FS+  CS@
CX         845     JFK   00:20     HKG   05:15 +1  773  0   FS+  CS@
CX         841     JFK   09:15     HKG   14:25 +1  773  0   FS@  CS@
CX         831     JFK   13:55     HKG   19:00 +1  773  0   FS+  CS@

Code:
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Intl BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]

CX         889     JFK   22:00     YVR   00:55 +1  773  0   FS+  CS+
 -> CX     838     HKG   16:25 +1  YVR   11:50 +1  744  0   FS@  CS@
 -> CX     888     HKG   01:00 +2  YVR   20:30 +1  773  0   FS@  CS@
 -> CX     838     HKG   16:25 +1  YVR   11:50 +1  744  0   FS@  CS@
 -> CX     838     HKG   16:45 +2  YVR   12:30 +2  744  0   FS@  CS@

Code:
YVR  Vancouver Metro / Intl BC CA = YVR CXH [CYVR]
TUE  13 Dec 2011 | 1 Seat

CX         889     YVR   02:10     HKG   07:55 +1  773  0   FS@  CS@
CX         839     YVR   13:20     HKG   18:45 +1  744  0   FS@  CS@
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I'd use the BA sit instead of calling. Also, book the 0120 nonstop; leaves later, arrives earlier, and no 1-stop risk. Then, a few days out, see if 889 opens up. I rarely see it available in advance, but CX845 at 0120 usually is.

Other flights are available on this date but that would mean I need to take another day off of work. I'm already pushing it with what I've taken so far

Currently booked on ORD-HKG but I don't have any status with BA so it'll cost me $70 for each change that I make. Also they are charging me $20 for calling in the request even though it's impossible to book these online (I have a stop over and continuing on to BKK from HKG)
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:39 pm

Other flights are available on this date but that would mean I need to take another day off of work. I'm already pushing it with what I've taken so far

Currently booked on ORD-HKG but I don't have any status with BA so it'll cost me $70 for each change that I make. Also they are charging me $20 for calling in the request even though it's impossible to book these online (I have a stop over and continuing on to BKK from HKG)
Yeah, I don't like being charged for bookings that can't be done online. Good luck!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So now BA ups its change fee from $30 to $70? I thought it was only $30 last year.

I have not seen any airlines would waive the phone booking fee even when the booking cannot be made online. If they are not possible online to begin with, they dont waive fee. They only waive fee if bookings normally can be done online but due to website glitch that cannot be done. Otherwise, the phone fee is always levied. I guess they have to make up for the time agent has to spend with some callers - that could be an hour long affair!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
So now BA ups its change fee from $30 to $70? I thought it was only $30 last year.

I have not seen any airlines would waive the phone booking fee even when the booking cannot be made online. If they are not possible online to begin with, they dont waive fee. They only waive fee if bookings normally can be done online but due to website glitch that cannot be done. Otherwise, the phone fee is always levied. I guess they have to make up for the time agent has to spend with some callers - that could be an hour long affair!
This is my first time using BA miles and yes it is $70 now. I've read somewhere that people have gotten BA to waive the $20 I don't know. My gripe was that I wasn't even told about it initially. I was quoted ~$240 or so in taxes and then next day got an email with the price saying ~$220. Charges haven't posted on my card yet so I haven't seen the breakdown yet. I have been able to get Continental to wave a similar fee before for an itinerary that can't be booked online but I'm not sure if that is their policy.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my first time using BA miles and yes it is $70 now. I've read somewhere that people have gotten BA to waive the $20 I don't know. My gripe was that I wasn't even told about it initially. I was quoted ~$240 or so in taxes and then next day got an email with the price saying ~$220. Charges haven't posted on my card yet so I haven't seen the breakdown yet. I have been able to get Continental to wave a similar fee before for an itinerary that can't be booked online but I'm not sure if that is their policy.
That was in late 2009 early 2010 when its website has glitch that even a simple domestic AA trip could not be booked online if there were more than one connection. They did not waive fee when you had to book via calling because you wanted stopovers.

$70 change fee is a bit steep but still much cheaper than the $250 change fee US Airways charges! Makes you really appreciate the free changes AA and UA/CO still offer.

CO award booking portal is more robust than BA's. It normally can handle most award booking online. CO also tends to be a bit more accommodating. For example I have seen CO waived cancellation fee on revenue tickets when there is medical condition involved even though the fare rules dont have such provision.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Hi, great product. Can't believe I waited so long to start using it.
Glad you're enjoying your KVS Tool membership!

I'm trying to book in F leaving JFK on December 12th. Here is the info that I am seeing. As you can see the YVR-HKG leg is the problem but I'm hoping that the fact that JFK-HKG (CX889) shows as available that the issue is simply with the BA agents, in which case I need some advice on how to convince them to book this.
Unfortunately, there is no Award Availability on CX 889, as the other 2 engines confirm:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.3.0.R2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         845     JFK   00:20     HKG   05:15 +1  773      FS+  CS-  YS-
CX         831     JFK   13:55     HKG   19:00 +1  773      FS+  CS-  YS-
BA         178     JFK   08:30     LHR   20:15     744      FS+  CS-  YS-
 -> QF     30      LHR   22:30     HKG   18:25 +1  744
AA         319     LGA   10:00     ORD   11:50     M83      FS+  CS+  YS+
 -> CX     807     ORD   14:20     HKG   20:20 +1  773
AA         313     LGA   08:55     ORD   10:45     M80      FS+  CS+  YS+
AA         309     LGA   07:57     ORD   09:50     M80      FS+  CS-  YS-
[KVS Availability Tool 6.3.9901/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld]
Code:
MON  12 Dec 2011

---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         845     JFK   00:20     HKG   05:15 +1  77A  0   FS2  CS-  YS-
CX         841     JFK   09:15     HKG   14:25 +1  77A  0   FS-  CS-  YS-
CX         831     JFK   13:55     HKG   19:00 +1  77A  0   FS1  CS-  YS-
CX         889     JFK   22:00     HKG   07:55 +2  77A  1   FS-  CS-  YS-
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
Glad you're enjoying your KVS Tool membership!
Unfortunately, there is no Award Availability on CX 889, as the other 2 engines confirm:

Thanks for confirming.

Luckily availability juts opened up on the 13th and I'm on the phone now changing my reservation so I no longer have to worry about the flight on the 12th.

ETA: BA did not charge me the $20 phone booking fee for this call and looks like I wasn't actually billed for the first call either.

Last edited by greendx; Jul 29, 2011 at 9:40 am Reason: BA fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.