Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chateau lynch bages 2007 in F!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Ah, I actually wrote it down! The glasses they were serving it in were a completely different story (way too small), but I don't fly QR too often and I was in J class...not F...and thinking "wow, this list beats CX F!" To be fair here, I know that the headline names (Krug, Lynch Bages) are in a higher price category than the headliners here. But on CX F, I find myself ONLY wanting to try the same headline names (Krug, Lynch Bages, and the white burgundy if it's there), while the rest of the selections are things I could pick up at the corner liquor store for $10 USD. I thought this list below had a lot more thought put into it

Champagne: Laurent Perier vintage brut (2000)

White 1.) Sauvignon Blanc, Saint Clair, Pioneer Block 3. Marlborough, NZ (2008)
White 2.) Chardonnay (Burgundy), Vincent Giradin, Meursault, Vieilles Vignes (2007)
White 3.) Riesling, Fritz Haag, Mosel Valley Germany, Spatlese (2008)

Red 1.) Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte (Bordeaux), Pessac Leognan, Grand Cru Classe (2007)
Red 2.) Brunello di Montalcino, Poggio Antico, Altero (2005)
Red 3.) Shiaz, Brokenwood. Barossa Valley + McLaren Vale Australia (2007)
Thanks for sharing. That list is a pretty good selection for a J class.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Thanks for sharing. That list is a pretty good selection for a J class.
hell yes. CX J wines are really low to mid range i would suspect around the 12-18US$ range. the proprietary only with CX ones for much less.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wasn't really impressed with any of the wines CX offered in First. Then again, I'm perfectly happy to consume a couple of bottles of Krug in one sitting.
I tried the 2004 Lynch Bages in February. Not advisable when just popped and poured. It was much better after it had a chance to breath, even more so when vigorously shaken as on our HKG-SFO return flight.

Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
I tried the '07 last week. Not terribly impressed. I agree with a previous post that it is way young and could do with some more bottle time. I find wines hit and miss on planes anyway as the tastebuds get confused.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: Cent, CX Gold
well 2007 is quite a bad year for bordeaux wine and its relatively affordable for CX to get a good brand name printed on their wine menu for a keen cost price.

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
I tried the '07 last week. Not terribly impressed. I agree with a previous post that it is way young and could do with some more bottle time. I find wines hit and miss on planes anyway as the tastebuds get confused.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
OT : Maybe you can help me on this...Someone gave me a bottle of Chateau Lynch Bages 1982 a few years ago. I don't appreciate wine much myself. Is it a good wine? ....
I've also a couple of bottles of Krug Clos du Mesnil 1988 too. Bought them way back in BCN in 1998 !
That Krug is worth between $2000 and $3000 a bottle; so you might prefer to sell rather than drink it. The 82 Lynch Bages generally sells for $250 a bottle (was higher a few years ago).

CX is the largest buyer of Lynch Bages in the world (by a large margin!) and sadly has been consuming it faster than their aged stock (they are also the largest warehouser of it in the world). I travel with a wine aerater ($20 device that oxygenates the wine) and it does wonders to improve closed wines (which the 2007 would be!).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:31 pm

Stick to the Krug. The LB was OK after some air. I was appalled to to a $10 Sebastiani Cab on the list. wj
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
That Krug is worth between $2000 and $3000 a bottle; so you might prefer to sell rather than drink it. The 82 Lynch Bages generally sells for $250 a bottle (was higher a few years ago).
Since there's only 1 bottle of LB, i'd say you should drink it on an occasion, and I'd hope you would have stored it well.

As for the krug: would you yourself would enjoy a 1988 Krug (over a 1998, say). if not, do consider selling it, since you could use the money to buy almost 2 bottles of newer vintages of Dom, Krug or Bollinger.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by kaka
Since there's only 1 bottle of LB, i'd say you should drink it on an occasion, and I'd hope you would have stored it well.

As for the krug: would you yourself would enjoy a 1988 Krug (over a 1998, say). if not, do consider selling it, since you could use the money to buy almost 2 bottles of newer vintages of Dom, Krug or Bollinger.
personally, i too would sell the krug. unlikely to have too too much fiz left - unless you like your aged bubbles. my recent mag of 89 - the regular vintage - was remarkably fizzy but it was degorged much earlier than when you bought yours...and the CDM typically advances quickly as I recall Krug advising.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I still have the original wooden box for it for one of them. The other one is just by itself. I bought them way back in 1997 in Barcelona for something like 250 Pounds per bottle and carried them with me back to Canada. Those were the days before the stupid non-liquid rule. I definitely would not be taking them out of the country these days especially when they have to be packed in checked luggage!

Hmm. How does one sell wine? Ebay?

I could save one bottle for a special occasion , ie my birthday next year. Guess my friends have to fly to Canada to taste this!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:38 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...Hmm. How does one sell wine? Ebay?...
Quite easy to sell wine in US, UK, Australia, etc. but difficult in Canada and maybe impossible in BC (I believe it is particularly restrictive but I've never investigated it). In California you could sell it to K&L http://www.klwines.com not sure about Seattle (Washington state also has funny liquor laws). For best price you could sell through Sotheby's in NY or London. Selling on ebay is an option if the wine is in the right state in the US, but you would get less than 50% of its normal auction price, maybe much less, so it is only for desperate sales.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Today on HKG-JFK they served the 2007 again. Funny thing a passenger sitting next to me enjoyed 2/3 glass and seemed to enjoy it. With my main course I order a glass and it was corked (just from the smell, then color and taste)- It wasn't vinegar but still...
The crew opened another bottle and the second one was good.
This just goes to tell you most people have no clue about wine this is way the airlines might not care that much anymore as the pax don't care neither.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:53 am

I'd say at least 80% of corked wine is consumed. People may not love it, but they find it good enough to drink. The FA should be trained to catch that before serving. wj
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:01 am

I still have the original wooden box for it for one of them. The other one is just by itself. I bought them way back in 1997 in Barcelona for something like 250 Pounds per bottle and carried them with me back to Canada. Those were the days before the stupid non-liquid rule. I definitely would not be taking them out of the country these days especially when they have to be packed in checked luggage!

Hmm. How does one sell wine? Ebay?

I could save one bottle for a special occasion , ie my birthday next year. Guess my friends have to fly to Canada to taste this!
you could consign them with the LCBO in its auction. just get the stuff to YYZ and you are good. you missed this window for this year. i have put up about CAD$50,000 of wines this year.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I'd say at least 80% of corked wine is consumed. People may not love it, but they find it good enough to drink. The FA should be trained to catch that before serving. wj
some people react in very different ways to TCA. for me, even small amounts are noticeable, however, with some HDPE - a ziplock bag will do - you can fix them a little. if you do not believe me, just do an abstract patent search for TCA and HDPE. of course better results from better HDPE.

United States Patent 6,610,342 Process for removing off-flavors and odors from foods and beverages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.