Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Old Jul 12, 11, 11:24 am
Original Poster

All, closing in on 3 weeks before our upcoming JFKHKG award segment. 2 booked in F, 2 in J.

Flight currently showing F4 on departure date, one of the lightest booked flight +/- 7 days of departure. So naturally, I'm checking like a maniac to see when they release any additional award seats. The flight exactly one week earlier was released and then snapped up immediately, 2 days ago. This is truly agonizing. Well, back to Asia Miles site for another look......
Old Jul 12, 11, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
All, closing in on 3 weeks before our upcoming JFKHKG award segment. 2 booked in F, 2 in J.

Flight currently showing F4 on departure date, one of the lightest booked flight +/- 7 days of departure. So naturally, I'm checking like a maniac to see when they release any additional award seats. The flight exactly one week earlier was released and then snapped up immediately, 2 days ago. This is truly agonizing. Well, back to Asia Miles site for another look......
And it goes without saying, what we are trying to do is move the 2 from J into F.
Old Jul 12, 11, 11:36 am

CX seems to release last-minute award seats quite often. Keep monitoring and there is a good chance you can bring another one or two passengers into F.
Old Jul 12, 11, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckpeter View Post
CX seems to release last-minute award seats quite often. Keep monitoring and there is a good chance you can bring another one or two passengers into F.
That's what I'm hoping. For July 14th and 15th, they've already released 2 in F for each day, with F3 and F4 revenue availability. We succeeded with this strategy last year and it was great to be 4 of 6 up front, though as I recall it was <2 days that the seats were released. Needless to say, this is the time of year when my productivity really goes down, as I'm constantly monitoring inventory.
Old Jul 12, 11, 1:02 pm

That's what I'm hoping. For July 14th and 15th, they've already released 2 in F for each day, with F3 and F4 revenue availability. We succeeded with this strategy last year and it was great to be 4 of 6 up front, though as I recall it was <2 days that the seats were released. Needless to say, this is the time of year when my productivity really goes down, as I'm constantly monitoring inventory.
Well, we all have to be obsessed about something.

Try to time your checks to be around early morning Hong Kong time. I was told before that that is around the time when CX RM release seats.
Old Jul 12, 11, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Well, we all have to be obsessed about something.

Try to time your checks to be around early morning Hong Kong time. I was told before that that is around the time when CX RM release seats.
Many thanks. To make things even more agonizing, my flights are funded by BA miles, which limits me when making changes to the hours that the Executive Club is open. I personally think that is ridiculous - airlines are about moving goods and services around the world, yet BA can only serve members in their home domicile. So in theory, if CX releases an award at 2300 EST, I have to wait until 0730 when the EC office opens.
Old Jul 12, 11, 1:35 pm

Many thanks. To make things even more agonizing, my flights are funded by BA miles, which limits me when making changes to the hours that the Executive Club is open. I personally think that is ridiculous - airlines are about moving goods and services around the world, yet BA can only serve members in their home domicile. So in theory, if CX releases an award at 2300 EST, I have to wait until 0730 when the EC office opens.
Be ware that BA rules explicitly state that you cannot make changes to an award ticket within 24 hours of departure. This may present a problem for your last-minute quest for the F seats.
Old Jul 12, 11, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Be ware that BA rules explicitly state that you cannot make changes to an award ticket within 24 hours of departure. This may present a problem for your last-minute quest for the F seats.
Thanks for this. I've seen that written, but as a Gold I've been told by BA that they can make changes up until the office closes for the day, even for a flight for that night. But I've never tried it to test them. But I've had a couple of agents say that they'll bend the rules for Gold, as CX tickets instantly. I think the 24 hour rule was probably started because other airlines don't ticket as quickly, so BA had to buy themselves sufficient time. Speculation on my part.
Old Jul 12, 11, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Wouldn't it be worthwhile subscribing to an email alert from ExpertFlyer? It worked very well for me the one time I tried it (albeit not for a CX flight).
Old Jul 12, 11, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbalmuth View Post
Wouldn't it be worthwhile subscribing to an email alert from ExpertFlyer? It worked very well for me the one time I tried it (albeit not for a CX flight).
Unfortunately ExpertFlyer doesn't support CX right now. Otherwise I'd be all over ExpertFlyer.
Old Jul 12, 11, 5:12 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL, Hilton GLD, IHG PLT
Last month cx released 2F in the morning of my desired flight. It was from AA miles, and they had to call CX to re submit the e tix number after the rebooking. So be sure that CX side is open too. I think they are closed on sunday. Although the tix # didn't change, CX still waits for the resubmit, otherwise they'll cancel the tix. Not sure if it's an AA specific problem. I eventually got on this flight, but I spend hours on the phone with both parties.
Old Jul 12, 11, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamak View Post
Last month cx released 2F in the morning of my desired flight. It was from AA miles, and they had to call CX to re submit the e tix number after the rebooking. So be sure that CX side is open too. I think they are closed on sunday. Although the tix # didn't change, CX still waits for the resubmit, otherwise they'll cancel the tix. Not sure if it's an AA specific problem. I eventually got on this flight, but I spend hours on the phone with both parties.
Sunday closed local HKG? My flight in question is 0120 on a Monday, EST. So that's Monday afternoon in HKG. Does that square with your advise?
Old Jul 12, 11, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, *wood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
My interpretation of adamak's advise: if you make a change close to your flight date (i.e. over the weekend immediately before the flight), don't get off the phone with BAEC until they give you the new ticket numbers.
Old Jul 12, 11, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbalmuth View Post
My interpretation of adamak's advise: if you make a change close to your flight date (i.e. over the weekend immediately before the flight), don't get off the phone with BAEC until they give you the new ticket numbers.
Excellent. Hopefully it won't come down to the wire.
Old Jul 13, 11, 12:45 am

Sunday closed local HKG? My flight in question is 0120 on a Monday, EST. So that's Monday afternoon in HKG. Does that square with your advise?
CX cannot issue award tickets on Sundays as their facilities are closed. Hence, even with a 0120 Monday departure, if a seat indeed opens up on Sunday, you won't be able to redeem it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: