Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Originally Posted by Felix Felicis
Most of you are using miles for free award tickets, yes? As opposed to upgrades? I wonder what my chances are for 1 upgrade from HKG-JFK, J-F, late Aug, then? Do they allocate more seats for "free" tickets (since they use up more miles?)

Am astonished lots of AA/BA fliers get seats. Am hoping I get it. Been MPO GO for close to 20 years! (But still waitlisted for past 2 months.) :-(
OK -- just to relate what finally transpired. T-24 days, got a text message, followed by a call from MPC confirming the upgrade. I asked if they could upgrade me from MNL-HKG as well, and they did (for the same, original amount of miles). Needless to say, I am pleased and grateful that they do take care of MPO, after all. I just had to be patient and wait...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for all the info in this thread. I'm currently holding 2 award seats in F from LAX-YYZ-HKG-BKK and back in early January but obviously preferring to change to a flight via LAX, SFO, or YVR on the way out or via pretty much anywhere else on the way back. However we were willing to spend the extra time in flight to get our preferred dates.

I've been checking the JMB site (which has been very accurate for AA availability) a couple times a day but it sounds like maybe just once a day until the date gets closer will be sufficient. Unfortunately so far all the flights we would switch to have only one seat available.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:04 pm

mgcha whick (country) JMB site are you seeing AA availability? The American site only shows Qantas and Cathay.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
Here's my understanding of the F versus J booking/seating issue on CX regional flights--and my booking for later in August:

Flying in F from YYZ-HKG w/ a connection to DPS late in August. All along, the HKG-DPS flight has been SOLD as a 2-class regional flight. However, the original aircraft, a 777 (2-class with Regional Business) was changed to a 744 (3-class) a couple of weeks ago. Still, CX has told me that only J is sold and thus I can only get J seats. In fact, if one looks at CX785 on days when the 744 is indicated, the F cabin always shows "X" (not available) in all 9 seats. As many have written, however, these F seats are apparently released (in most cases) on day of flights at the airport/gate/lounge. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My return trip in early September is another story--I'm booked SIN-HKG-ORD. In this case, I'm booked in F (with seats in F) on both flights. CX734 (1605 hours) from SIN is almost always a 744 and as such, they sell F and assign F seats. There may be one of two others sold as F, but most flights are still operated as 2-Class Regional Business flights. What I don't know about on this route is in the event of a switch to a 3-class from 2-class if CX lets you book and get seats for F or if they treat it like the DPS flights.

Hope that helps, MMM
Very interesting topic, thanks for all the info.

I have booked Cathay Pacific First Class award ticket for HEL-AMS-HKG-SGN by using Finnair points. HEL-AMS will be in business, because it is the highest class available. However, HKG-SGN (2 class service) sector will be in economy, because no business class awards were available.

My question is that if no award tickets to business class will be released for HKG-SGN flight, do you think I will be upgraded to business class anyway (assuming seats available) at check-in or at HKG, because I am, after all, travelling with a first class award ticket?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teme
Very interesting topic, thanks for all the info.

I have booked Cathay Pacific First Class award ticket for HEL-AMS-HKG-SGN by using Finnair points. HEL-AMS will be in business, because it is the highest class available. However, HKG-SGN (2 class service) sector will be in economy, because no business class awards were available.

My question is that if no award tickets to business class will be released for HKG-SGN flight, do you think I will be upgraded to business class anyway (assuming seats available) at check-in or at HKG, because I am, after all, travelling with a first class award ticket?
Doubtful. When using AA or BA points on CX, they have to re-ticket on CX if business class seats are made available. CX is unlikely to take mercy on you, as they have no way (or won't take time to confirm) that you paid for the higher class of service. So I would keep checking with Finnair. In my experience (and this has happened to me numerous times when using BA points) there won't be any service charge. Good luck.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:10 pm

Anyone think CX will release more F award seat when showing F5, J0, Y1 ? The flight is a 747 with T-25 days.
Try to decide when I should go ahead to purchase instead of hopping to use miles.
If I do the purchase, I want my A fare before they disappear.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by neuro0
Anyone think CX will release more F award seat when showing F5, J0, Y1 ? The flight is a 747 with T-25 days.
Try to decide when I should go ahead to purchase instead of hopping to use miles.
If I do the purchase, I want my A fare before they disappear.
What flight #? You're based in Oregon, so maybe one of the SFO or YVR flights? I'm not familiar with the YVR routes, but if you're hoping for CX873 SFO-HKG I'd say you're best off buying the A fare now. That flight seems to always be overbooked in Y and sometimes J, which overflows to F (aka, no last minute reward redemptions).
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:51 am

It is CX873. now show F4 J2 Y0.
Not looking good...

What killing me is I am not sure they sold a seat or an award seat was released but someone snatched it overnight!!!

Last edited by neuro0; Apr 25, 2012 at 9:38 am
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:45 am

It is CX873. now show F4 J2 Y0.
Not looking good...

What killing me is I am not sure they sold a seat or an award seat was released but someone snatched it overnight!!!
There is a fair chance that they have oversold Y and will need to do op-upgrades at check-in. They will never oversell F, but they may not be able to release them to awards if they anticipate needing them at check-in to accommodate upgrades if too many Y pax turn up (they will move J pax to F and Y pax to C).

If Y was not so heavily booked, then I would have been fairly confident of them releasing an F award at T-24 to 36 hours.

DAK
Old May 14, 2012, 9:10 am

5 days out. CX released one more F award seat to partner when it shows F3, J1 Y1. One the afternoon flight, it shows F5, J1 Y0, CX released 3 F seats for partner. Basically they hold back 2 F seats for sale on both flights.
In the end, I successfully grab 3 F award seats. It helps when it has total of 9 F seats.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by dkerr
There is a fair chance that they have oversold Y and will need to do op-upgrades at check-in. They will never oversell F, but they may not be able to release them to awards if they anticipate needing them at check-in to accommodate upgrades if too many Y pax turn up (they will move J pax to F and Y pax to C).

If Y was not so heavily booked, then I would have been fairly confident of them releasing an F award at T-24 to 36 hours.

DAK
Wonder if CX will sell more Y seats than capacity, anticipating op-up to J (and J shuffle to F) rather than release F seats for redemption?

To Cathay, getting $$$ > extinguishing AM liability I guess. Who knows how many AM expire in members' hands each year for lack of availability at suitable times to fly them.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:49 pm

5 days out. CX released one more F award seat to partner when it shows F3, J1 Y1. One the afternoon flight, it shows F5, J1 Y0, CX released 3 F seats for partner. Basically they hold back 2 F seats for sale on both flights.
In the end, I successfully grab 3 F award seats. It helps when it has total of 9 F seats.
Past experience suggests that at about 24 to 26 hours before flight time the last two F seats will be released to awards. At least it happened to me... I was able to secure two more HKG -> JFK at T-24 last August. My family of four occupied 2/3rds of the entire F cabin, until T-24 we had 2x Business and 2x First (AA miles).

DAK
Old May 14, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I am 9 days out and keep on checking. trying to change F booking from ORD-LGA-JFK-HKG to ORD-HKG.

Last edited by jmw2323; May 14, 2012 at 10:06 pm
Old May 15, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jmw2323
I am 9 days out and keep on checking. trying to change F booking from ORD-LGA-JFK-HKG to ORD-HKG.

just checked now and bingo, an F award seat opened for ORD-HKG at T-8 days. Booked ^^
Old May 16, 2012, 2:30 pm

So are there any services that can monitor CX availability several times a day and email/text you when it opens up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.