Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Hey guys... Mind if I jump in and ask a question/favor?

I'm an AAdvantage member and I'm trying to get my wife to travel with me ORD-HKG in early September (1st-6th or 2nd-7th) in J or F. I called American to look at award ticket availability with CX and was told that only Y was available through the direct flight or through the other CX gateways in North America. I came across this thread and was happy to see that CX does release some seats in the higher classes as the departure day gets closer.

I'd like to get your input on the options I have for checking for and/or getting a J or F award, or if you know of any tricks of the trade I could use? I know AA and CX don't have the best history of sharing award tix with those outside of their own system and that ticket availability can be hidden, but any help or advice you could pass along would be appreciated.

Apologies in advance if this has been explained or answered elsewhere before in the forum. Thanks!

jamie - Sorry your hunt for F tix came up short this time.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by puckstop
Hey guys... Mind if I jump in and ask a question/favor?

I'm an AAdvantage member and I'm trying to get my wife to travel with me ORD-HKG in early September (1st-6th or 2nd-7th) in J or F. I called American to look at award ticket availability with CX and was told that only Y was available through the direct flight or through the other CX gateways in North America. I came across this thread and was happy to see that CX does release some seats in the higher classes as the departure day gets closer.

I'd like to get your input on the options I have for checking for and/or getting a J or F award, or if you know of any tricks of the trade I could use? I know AA and CX don't have the best history of sharing award tix with those outside of their own system and that ticket availability can be hidden, but any help or advice you could pass along would be appreciated.

Apologies in advance if this has been explained or answered elsewhere before in the forum. Thanks!

jamie - Sorry your hunt for F tix came up short this time.
Sign up for Asia Miles (free) and use their site. Granted, you are correct that CX and AA availability may not sync perfectly, but I've never seen a time when AA has availability and Asia Miles does not. So use Asia Miles as a proxy. Redeem miles<Flight Award Finder<input city pairs and then just follow. Very easy. Others may suggest KVS tool, but I haven't installed it and this way is free.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks for the quick reply, jamie. I was torn between Asia Miles or QF's reward tool, but I'll give AM a shot. Glad to heat that it's somewhat reliable for award availability.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
It's over. My flight went F2 to F0 in the last 30 minutes.
Just an update that some might find useful. In gave up on JFK and grabbed 4 F seats from YYZ, purchasing tickets there from LGA. So the family is all set.

However, I've continued to monitor JFK availability, and here's largely what I have found. 5 days out, CX tends to release all available F seats to it's own members. BA and AA get one less. So if a flight is F3, CX will offer 3 on their site, BA/AA 2 on their sites. Now, the lag between CX release and AA/BA getting it seems to be 6-12 hrs. CX released a seat for Sunday on Tuesday afternoon. By midnight, AA and BA still didn't have it, by 5a Wednesday they both did.

However, the partner -1 seat allocation seems to go away 3 days out. At that time, the majority of JFK and YYZ flights have identical selling and award availability, regardless of booking currency. I have no idea if this is a coincidence, and is based solely on my obsessive observations in JFK.

Final question - my desired JFK nonstop now has 3F and 1J available, while we already hold 4F from YYZ. But with purchased tickets to YYZ, I have no protection if I don't get there (separate PNRs, albeit all on OW airlines) and there's bag connection risk. Should I suck it up and take JFK? Mini cabin no longer available at this late hr.

Hope somebody finds some value from this post. Happy award hunting!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:41 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
However, I've continued to monitor JFK availability, and here's largely what I have found. 5 days out, CX tends to release all available F seats to it's own members. BA and AA get one less. So if a flight is F3, CX will offer 3 on their site, BA/AA 2 on their sites. Now, the lag between CX release and AA/BA getting it seems to be 6-12 hrs. CX released a seat for Sunday on Tuesday afternoon. By midnight, AA and BA still didn't have it, by 5a Wednesday they both did.

...Should I suck it up and take JFK? Mini cabin no longer available at this late hr.
What can you do with an award tix that's only available so late?

It's just a bit better than flying standby. Any savings from using miles will be exhausted by trying to find a place to stay so late.

And for employed FTers, it'll be horrible trying to arrange annual leave and replacements/stand-ins at work with such short notice.

Parents flying to Aus during Sept/Oct. I started looking for upgrades in May, but by July the alternative (VS PE --> J) became due for ticketing and they told me to get the VS rather than extend the booking at new fare. They say they'll try holding out for CX J redeem/upgrade next time, but I warned them it's only available 4 weeks' prior to travel date (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...stralia-2.html) and don't believe that they can live with that little notice.

I can't imagine the type of people who can use late redemption/upgrade - possibly they are (you are?) so flexible you won't ever have to buy a CX J tix at tull price anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
What can you do with an award tix that's only available so late?

It's just a bit better than flying standby. Any savings from using miles will be exhausted by trying to find a place to stay so late.

And for employed FTers, it'll be horrible trying to arrange annual leave and replacements/stand-ins at work with such short notice.

Parents flying to Aus during Sept/Oct. I started looking for upgrades in May, but by July the alternative (VS PE --> J) became due for ticketing and they told me to get the VS rather than extend the booking at new fare. They say they'll try holding out for CX J redeem/upgrade next time, but I warned them it's only available 4 weeks' prior to travel date (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...stralia-2.html) and don't believe that they can live with that little notice.

I can't imagine the type of people who can use late redemption/upgrade - possibly they are (you are?) so flexible you won't ever have to buy a CX J tix at tull price anyway.
I can't speak for other markets, but I've never had difficulty finding at least 2 First and 2 Business seats on CX as long as I plan months in advance. In this case, our August, 2011 vacation was booked September, 2010 and it was a breeze. But I wasn't able to get my prefered cabin. I agree planning a vacation from scratch five days out isn't practical, but the issue of my post is when non-sold F seats would be made available.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
jamienbaker, thanks for passing on this valuable information regarding when last minute award space becomes available.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:18 pm

I can't speak for other markets, but I've never had difficulty finding at least 2 First and 2 Business seats on CX as long as I plan months in advance. In this case, our August, 2011 vacation was booked September, 2010 and it was a breeze. But I wasn't able to get my prefered cabin. I agree planning a vacation from scratch five days out isn't practical, but the issue of my post is when non-sold F seats would be made available.
Planning 13 months ahead is still more feasible than 5 days...

If for whatever reason CX doesn't release the expected 4 tix in 5 days before travel then your holiday is ruined.

And you can't hold a YVR ticket on fallback basis (or top-up redeemed YVR F tickets for redeemed JFK F ticekts).

We don't have F to SYD - J is the only premium CX class to SYD. To me, even one month is too tight. Although I'll try checking what's my alternative availability like within one month of travel (the alternative is upgraded VS J).
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Planning 13 months ahead is still more feasible than 5 days...

If for whatever reason CX doesn't release the expected 4 tix in 5 days before travel then your holiday is ruined.

And you can't hold a YVR ticket on fallback basis (or top-up redeemed YVR F tickets for redeemed JFK F ticekts).

We don't have F to SYD - J is the only premium CX class to SYD. To me, even one month is too tight. Although I'll try checking what's my alternative availability like within one month of travel (the alternative is upgraded VS J).
No, holiday isn't ruined, but family would be spread amongst 2 cabins. I can only speak for US awards, which are surprisingly easy to claim with sufficient notice, and generally VERY close in. That was original topic. I do hope something opens up for you. Fingers crossed, Jamie
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:33 pm

No, holiday isn't ruined, but family would be spread amongst 2 cabins.
I mean if you held out for 4 F seats from JFK...you would only know whether you can fly within 5 days before travel. If 4 seats don't appear (e.g. sold as revenue seats 6 days before travel), what's your plan B? Or is your holiday ruined?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there

However, the partner -1 seat allocation seems to go away 3 days out. At that time, the majority of JFK and YYZ flights have identical selling and award availability, regardless of booking currency. I have no idea if this is a coincidence, and is based solely on my obsessive observations in JFK.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I am somewhat new over on the CX board and with CX rolling out the new J seats across all aircraft, I will be flying CX (or SQ) to Asia vs what I did on UA which was buy the C then upgrade to F. A lot of my trips over to Asia, I would like to take my GF as well so it is nice to see that CX has J award availability to make that happen!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I mean if you held out for 4 F seats from JFK...you would only know whether you can fly within 5 days before travel. If 4 seats don't appear (e.g. sold as revenue seats 6 days before travel), what's your plan B? Or is your holiday ruined?
Oh, I see. You have to be willing to split cabins. CX usually releases 2 in F and up to 8 in J starting 330 days out. I've never heard of anyone getting 4 in F outside of 5 days. I just got 4 in F out of Toronto, but had they not opened we would have split between F and J.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it really varies. I had been semi-obsessively monitoring availability for a HKG-JFK routing a month ago. Down to the day of departure, my desired flight was F1 and that one seat became available on AsiaMiles, but not via AAdvantage. And I couldn't even get an agent at the in-town check-in to check me in for my confirmed flight and change to my desired.

I believe I read somewhere that partner availability may depend on how many partner award seats are already booked on that particular flight. Meaning they don't want to give more than X award seats to partners on any given flight. No idea if this is true or not, but it could be an explanation.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Most of you are using miles for free award tickets, yes? As opposed to upgrades? I wonder what my chances are for 1 upgrade from HKG-JFK, J-F, late Aug, then? Do they allocate more seats for "free" tickets (since they use up more miles?)

Am astonished lots of AA/BA fliers get seats. Am hoping I get it. Been MPO GO for close to 20 years! (But still waitlisted for past 2 months.) :-(
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think it really varies. I had been semi-obsessively monitoring availability for a HKG-JFK routing a month ago. Down to the day of departure, my desired flight was F1 and that one seat became available on AsiaMiles, but not via AAdvantage. And I couldn't even get an agent at the in-town check-in to check me in for my confirmed flight and change to my desired.

I believe I read somewhere that partner availability may depend on how many partner award seats are already booked on that particular flight. Meaning they don't want to give more than X award seats to partners on any given flight. No idea if this is true or not, but it could be an explanation.
Good points. When F1 on any of the nonstops, it is only the 1055 departre from JFK that makes a seat available via AA/BA. The 0120 departure and 1455 will release a seat to AsiaMiles if F1, but not partners. Again, highly unscientific, I've just been losing sleep over this issue and keeping track of my observations. I've clearly spent well in excess of the 16 hours we'll be airborne trying to secure better seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.