Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:17 am

Thanks!

I also found that Qantas allow you to check CX flights three days later. Considering CX always releases award seats in the last week, being able to show seats 3 days later is very useful.

Originally Posted by dkerr
CX award availability seems to fluctuate. The most reliable source for availability for non-asiamiles (like AA or BA) is the JAL Mileage Bank web site so you might want to check it (you have to enroll first). I find that you have to request round trip search, not one way, and also it doesn't work for flights within 7 days, for that you have to use CX asia miles web site which may show availability for asia miles members that are not available for partners.

DAK
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neuro0
Any luck getting your F seat yet?
Nope. Another flight my day that is F3 just released 1, but my flight is down to F2 and nothing has been released. BTW, the release was in the past 2 hours, because that's how frequently I check. Driving me mad.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 am
Original Poster

CX award availability seems to fluctuate. The most reliable source for availability for non-asiamiles (like AA or BA) is the JAL Mileage Bank web site so you might want to check it (you have to enroll first). I find that you have to request round trip search, not one way, and also it doesn't work for flights within 7 days, for that you have to use CX asia miles web site which may show availability for asia miles members that are not available for partners.

DAK
FWIW, I've reconciled Asia Miles and the BA site for the next 4 weeks, every flight between JFK and HKG. For now, they are showing the same inventory. But I agree it can be hit or miss. In fact, I was once able to book awards on the BA site that the agents at BA could not, in fact I had one on the phone when I did the on-line booking, I gave him the PNR, and he said, "wow, how did you book that?" Maybe it was a bad agent, who knows. But I think we all agree this is more art than science.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Nope. Another flight my day that is F3 just released 1, but my flight is down to F2 and nothing has been released. BTW, the release was in the past 2 hours, because that's how frequently I check. Driving me mad.
I think if you are at F2 and it is still two weeks away, your chances are slim. As my family's departure date approached last week, with F2 availability, CX never released anything. Right up to 6 hours before departure (when I stopped checking) it was F1, but no release. I think they bumped someone up at checkin from J to fill that seat, maybe to take care of an overbooking situation in Y and/or J.

DAK
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
All, closing in on 3 weeks before our upcoming JFKHKG award segment. 2 booked in F, 2 in J.

Flight currently showing F4 on departure date, one of the lightest booked flight +/- 7 days of departure. So naturally, I'm checking like a maniac to see when they release any additional award seats. The flight exactly one week earlier was released and then snapped up immediately, 2 days ago. This is truly agonizing. Well, back to Asia Miles site for another look......
As you're using miles from another FFP, you may find this thread helpful... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ilability.html
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

I think if you are at F2 and it is still two weeks away, your chances are slim. As my family's departure date approached last week, with F2 availability, CX never released anything. Right up to 6 hours before departure (when I stopped checking) it was F1, but no release. I think they bumped someone up at checkin from J to fill that seat, maybe to take care of an overbooking situation in Y and/or J.

DAK
I hope you are wrong I've been watching plenty of F2 flights with 1 available this week, though not every single case. The one-stop via YVR seems pretty available, bit the others are hit or miss. Fingers still crossed.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I hope you are wrong I've been watching plenty of F2 flights with 1 available this week, though not every single case. The one-stop via YVR seems pretty available, bit the others are hit or miss. Fingers still crossed.
Ugh, inventory took a nasty turn over night. 11F seats JFKHKG over numerous days/flights <2 weeks disappeared.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:58 am

Ugh, inventory took a nasty turn over night. 11F seats JFKHKG over numerous days/flights <2 weeks disappeared.
I saw this as well, inventory varied wildly. They come back about 3 days before flight if there are still enough unsold seats. I don't believe 11 F awards were claimed overnight, I think it is their magic inventory management system trying to outsmart us.

I start my journey tonight to catch up with the family.

DAK
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I saw this as well, inventory varied wildly. They come back about 3 days before flight if there are still enough unsold seats. I don't believe 11 F awards were claimed overnight, I think it is their magic inventory management system trying to outsmart us.

I start my journey tonight to catch up with the family.

DAK
Bon voyage, enjoy the quiet of T7 at your departure hour. Is HKG your final destination?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:17 pm

may be related to this

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...0-usd-all.html

Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
yes, but.....

The discounted fares were for RT travel ex-HKG, so in order for the near-term F inventory ex-JFK to be much affected by this, you are assuming both 1) purchasers who booked fairly immediate ex-HKG travel, and 2) purchasers who intend relatively short stays in the U.S..

From the quoted thread you will note purchasers who were hoping that AA would cancel their tickets in return for a payment. Whether or not that unilateral cancellation occurs, such purchasers will soon be refunding their tickets, with the result of additional F inventory. Of course it's anyone's guess whether that additional F inventory will result in additional redemption opportunities....
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I do think the 2 issues are unrelated. Of the 11 awards that were eliminated, only 1 revenue seat was sold. So still not sure why they clamped down.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Lots of F award inventory released JFKHKG in the past hour, basically anything F3 had 1 seat released towards end of July, start of August. Alas, my flight is still F2 so nothing released.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Lots of F award inventory released JFKHKG in the past hour, basically anything F3 had 1 seat released towards end of July, start of August. Alas, my flight is still F2 so nothing released.
Glimmer of hope. Sunday has two flights @ F2, each of which has 1 award seat. So apparently they do release at F2 within 4 days of departure.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Glimmer of hope. Sunday has two flights @ F2, each of which has 1 award seat. So apparently they do release at F2 within 4 days of departure.
It's over. My flight went F2 to F0 in the last 30 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.