Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Gld, Bonvoy Ambassador (LT Gold)
When does CX release J award seats?

I'm traveling to BKK next week on CX using AA miles. I am in J on most segments, but I am stuck in Y on the last leg of the return (HKG-ORD) on 12/6. I call AA almost daily but no seats have opened up yet. Flightstats says there are 9 J seats open on that flight.

I know CX releases seats based on revenue projections. Is there any hope to getting a seat this close to the date? Any good times of day or days of the week to call.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I buy CX seats using AA miles all the time to visit Manila. Considering a 12/6 departure I wouldn't expect anything to open up now but its so random you never know. Based on my experience more seats will open up within a few days of departure. I have been able to get J & F seats 1-2 days before departure and sometime a week or so before.

For example, I want to leave on a Fri but I have a Sat or Sun departure. I call every day, multiple times a day and it seems more times than not I get a seat the prior Wed or Thur for that Fri seat I wanted.

In your case you want to change Y to J but same thing...
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gld, Bonvoy Ambassador (LT Gold)
That helps, travelpro. Is there any other way to check besides calling AA every day? It will be hard to call 2-3 days out because I'll already be traveling.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:15 pm

Not that I know of so if you find out please let me know. Its just what I do.

I have also gotten seats even when it shows no seats available on CX site. I guess I got lucky that someone canceled and I happened to call soon after.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carorun
That helps, travelpro. Is there any other way to check besides calling AA every day? It will be hard to call 2-3 days out because I'll already be traveling.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Seats get released all the way up to day of departure, and it is always worth asking at check-in - I know they can do instant points upgrades with Asia Miles (their own programme) but to be honest I don't know if they can do that with miles from another carrier's programme, but there is no harm in asking.

My experience is more seats get released starting about two weeks out, but I can't detect any pattern showing exactly when the release occurs.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
In my experience more on 360 day out or 30-14 days...but I got releases on 210 day least year as well http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=11303&p=2 #15
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
In my experience more on 360 day out or 30-14 days...but I got releases on 210 day least year as well http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=11303&p=2 #15
Yes, I agree. I either book 9-10 months out or have to get a seat within 1-2 weeks or even a day or two before departure. Very rarely do I get a seat in between that timing.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
CX888 YVR-JFK Why no breakfast?

How long up front would award space open up on this flight? would it be the same for CX as for partner award bookings?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
I have booked an award RT J ticket for YYZ-HKG-CGK-HKG-YYZ. The first two segments are confirmed right away at booking (YYZ-HKG-CGK) but the Inbound segments are waitlisted.

How does this play out if the Inbound segments are not confirmed?

1) Can I still fly the Outbound segments when the Inbound are not cleared?
2) How likely is it for the Inbound to be approved when I already have the Outbound approved?
3) Will they downgrade me to PEY or Econ class and credit back the miles?

Or...

Thank you for your advice.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by JCFans
1) Can I still fly the Outbound segments when the Inbound are not cleared?
2) How likely is it for the Inbound to be approved when I already have the Outbound approved?
3) Will they downgrade me to PEY or Econ class and credit back the miles?
In my experience:

1) You can. But you must call Marco Polo, tell them you would like to issue the cleared segments as a one-way.
2) No difference, in theory
3) Again, not unless you ask them to, and there are seats in the lower class. I ticketed my parents to go to Aus in PEY and return in Business - gave up hope doing it all in Business and they wanted to confirm their travel plans.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Originally Posted by percysmith
In my experience:

1) You can. But you must call Marco Polo, tell them you would like to issue the cleared segments as a one-way.
2) No difference, in theory
3) Again, not unless you ask them to, and there are seats in the lower class. I ticketed my parents to go to Aus in PEY and return in Business - gave up hope doing it all in Business and they wanted to confirm their travel plans.
Thanks, percysmith! Can I ticket and fly the confirmed Outbound segment while still waitlisted for the Inbound segments, without declaring these as one-ways?

I would burn more miles booking two OW trips as opposed to one RT, as I'm sure you know.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:24 pm

Thanks, percysmith! Can I ticket and fly the confirmed Outbound segment while still waitlisted for the Inbound segments, without declaring these as one-ways?

I would burn more miles booking two OW trips as opposed to one RT, as I'm sure you know.
Probably not http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...t-cleared.html
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:52 am
Suspended

No.
But if your inbound (second OW) eventually get clear, you'll only been charge the miles difference between 1 OW and 1 RT. But this will have to be in the same class of service the whole way.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
No.
But if your inbound (second OW) eventually get clear, you'll only been charge the miles difference between 1 OW and 1 RT. But this will have to be in the same class of service the whole way.
Thanks, percysmith! @CanucksHKG, have you experienced this first-hand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.