Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How reliable are aircraft assignments to HKGDPS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:56 am
Original Poster

All - I was disappointed to get "downgraded" from a 744 to a 773 (regional) HKGDPS in August...particularly since the family is booked in multiple PNRs so naturally we were scattered about the cabin. I'm curious, how reliable are the aircraft assignments on this route, now that it is a mix of 744s, 330s and 773s? Is it anything like BKKDPS on TG where you never know what you'll get until you show at the airport? I'd love to believe there is at least a chance for a better product than regional J.

Thanks in advance, and safe travels to all - Jamie
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - I was disappointed to get "downgraded" from a 744 to a 773 (regional) HKGDPS in August...particularly since the family is booked in multiple PNRs so naturally we were scattered about the cabin. I'm curious, how reliable are the aircraft assignments on this route, now that it is a mix of 744s, 330s and 773s? Is it anything like BKKDPS on TG where you never know what you'll get until you show at the airport? I'd love to believe there is at least a chance for a better product than regional J.

Thanks in advance, and safe travels to all - Jamie
Whoa, and my HNDHKG also got downgraded from a 744 to a 77A. The fun never stops.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Whoa, and my HNDHKG also got downgraded from a 744 to a 77A. The fun never stops.
The products on 74A and 77A are identical, so not sure what you're worried about here.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:51 am

CX785/4 is reasonably sticky for a 74A (but as you've discovered not sticky enough). All other DPS flights go out regional.

CX548/9 used to be sticky 74A, but I think as more 77As come on stream and the loads to Tokyo continue to dip CX are capacity downgrading on HND.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
In my experience (and this is in no way scientific), I've had equipment swaps on 50% or more of my HKG/DPS flights.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by midlevels
The products on 74A and 77A are identical, so not sure what you're worried about here.
Simple - fewer F seats so diminished potential for upgrade.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:56 am

Is downgrade compensation offered when First class no longer offered?

soccer

Last edited by soccerpapi; Jun 29, 2011 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:16 pm

Except for sitting upstairs on the 77A tends to get a little bit windy.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:46 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
May 3 Less First Class seats for OW Emerald to be upgraded to.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
For the DPS route, last minute aircraft substitutions are quite rare when compared to TG. With TG, you could basically get anything.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Dia HH
Why does it matter? They only put Diamond status or people traveling on First class tickets (ex HKG) in those seats and it still is BC food and drinks. Unless the BC section is overbooked, they are very strict about moving people up. Only gate agents or the ISM will move people (not even lounge agents in HKG can move)

Just flew down to DPS and back this month-- On the way down from HKG I was on a BC ticket and they didn't move me. I got a nice seat up top but other than that, no big deal. On the way home to DCA via HKG, I had a F class ticket all the way home, so at checkin they provided me a F seat ticket from DPS to HKG.

Nice gesture, had seat 1A and there was only 1 other person in the cabin with me. The real kicker was that the staff ended up using most of the other seats to rest after meal service. The food is the same, service the same, just a bigger seat for a 4 hour flight.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bmoney
Why does it matter? They only put Diamond status or people traveling on First class tickets (ex HKG) in those seats and it still is BC food and drinks. Unless the BC section is overbooked, they are very strict about moving people up. Only gate agents or the ISM will move people (not even lounge agents in HKG can move)
It is possible, if you have OW status. CX status or a F ticket EX-HKG aren't necessarily needed.
See this TR
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bmoney

Just flew down to DPS and back this month-- On the way down from HKG I was on a BC ticket and they didn't move me. I got a nice seat up top but other than that, no big deal. On the way home to DCA via HKG, I had a F class ticket all the way home, so at checkin they provided me a F seat ticket from DPS to HKG.

Nice gesture, had seat 1A and there was only 1 other person in the cabin with me. The real kicker was that the staff ended up using most of the other seats to rest after meal service. The food is the same, service the same, just a bigger seat for a 4 hour flight.
In my case it certainly does matter, as a downgrade from a 744 to a 773 (not 77A) represents the difference between a restful experience in J to sitting upright and having to endure a seat mate. And, at the margin (as both OW Emerald and on an F ticket) the infinitely reduced chance of having a truly luxurious rest in the F section. I'm very, very disappointed but my downgrade, but I won't lose sight of the fact I'm going to Bali, and there's nothing shabby about that!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We flew on CX784 on 6 Aug. Had seats assigned in rows 81-82-83, which still showed as our seat assignments the week before.

Went into OLCI 2 days before it, and it had changed to a 777. I was moved to 16E (Diamond MPC dumped in middle seat near the back), and the rest of the family "seat unassigned". Not happy.

Got the airport, and the guy at the airport said "no, it's a 747 Sir". Huh. Sure enough it had changed back to a 747. Of course we had lost the original seat assignments. The machine spat out 4A for me and the rest on the LD in BC. I did manage to get 2 more of us moved to row 4, so it worked out ok.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:40 am

I would expect that a fist rate airline like CX would have fewer aircraft substitutions.

part of the problem is they are inconsistent.

if you look at BKK-HKG flights, some days have F (sold as F) on the 747 and some days are all 330.

some days are a mix of 777 747 and 330 .

with 5 or 6 flights a day with a diff aircraft type each day of the week, things will go wrong and last minute substitutions (downgrades)will happen.

Until CX starts using the same aircraft for specific flights, you can expect this to continue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.